What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Practice Primer

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

February 22nd
Quarterback competition may be more heated than expected
This spring, Colorado will be auditioning for the role of starting quaterback.
For the first time in six seasons, the Buffs will open the fall campaign with a starter not*named Hawkins or Hansen. Even though there are five quarterbacks on the roster – senior Brent Burnette, sophomore Nick Hirschman, sophomore Connor Wood, redshirt-freshman Stevie Dorman and red-shirt freshman John Schrock – many in the Buff Nation are ready to hand over the keys to the Buff offense to Connor Wood even before he has taken his first snap with the first team offense. This sentiment was only enhanced when it was announced that Hirschman,*Wood’s perceived chief competition (at least until Shane Dillon enrolls this summer), would be out for some if not all of the spring practices off-season foot surgery.
Now, it appears, at least to Hirschman, that the competition to earn the starting role will be “on” from the first day of spring practices, March 10th. A reported tweet of Hirschman, “So close to 100 percent rehab does the body good”, lends credence to the report that the sophomore, who has one career start under his belt (a less than auspicious effort against Arizona State), will be a “full go” for most of the spring.
For his part, Connor Wood is looking forward to the competition.
“From my experience at UT, it made us become leaders through our actions and verbally,” Wood told the Daily Camera. “It challenged us as quarterbacks to really compete against each other. I believe it made Garrett (Gilbert), Case (McCoy), David (Ash) and I better quarterbacks through that competition in the spring and the summer. We were working our tails off trying to beat each other out, and I believe it made the team better.
“So I believe having this open quarterback competition will force all the quarterbacks on this roster to maybe get out of their comfort zone a little bit and to really step up.”
Wood understands that, even though he has received raves from teammates for his work last fall, and is being looked upon by Buff fans as a potential savior for the program, that nothing has been earned, nothing is guaranteed. “I believe that no spot is secured for sure going into spring. So everyone is going to have to work their tail off and it’s going to bring out the best in everyone. It’s going to break some guys. It’s going to make some guys better. But I think the constructive competition within the team is going to be great for us.”
The job is Wood’s to lose, but some healthy competition from Hirschman will not hurt him … or the Buffs.

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to vie

Back