What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stadium Financing

To get back on focus... CU's plans are mostly targeting facility improvement not Stadium expansion - although enclosing the North End Zone would add to the capacity.

Stadium

Folsom doesn't need to get much bigger than 60K. That's pretty much an upper limit here in Bronco country for a college game. I remember seeing empty seats that November day when Rashaan went over 2K. Getting the IPF built is the primary goal. Infrastructure fixes for Folsom are next. Additional seating would be gravy.

The 1990 Denver-Aurora Combined Statistical Population was - 2,007,649
The 2012 Denver-Aurora Combined Statistical Population is - 3,214,218

When all phases of facilities are completed in 8 years, the AD can anticipate ~ 4 million by 2020 in its watershed area. Looking long-term, a 65,000 attendance isn't an unreasonable capacity to build for now.

Last edited:
If there were a lite rail line into Boulder and a station within a five minute walk of Folsom, it would be easier to imagine filling a 65K seat stadium.

Some draw backs to attending a game in Boulder is the parking and the traffic jams in and out of town.
The population growth of the metro area has made game day traffic worse, not better.

If there were a lite rail line into Boulder and a station within a five minute walk of Folsom, it would be easier to imagine filling a 65K seat stadium.

Some draw backs to attending a game in Boulder is the parking and the traffic jams in and out of town.
The population growth of the metro area has made game day traffic worse, not better.

I agree with all of this. I avoid a lot of traffic because I get to the game so early. I've heard horror stories about people coming in from Denver.
The new commuter rail will stop at 30th & Pearl, which is about a 20 minute walk to the stadium. God only knows if/when that line will actually be built. I wouldn't put money on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

They should really look at opening up parking on the South Campus. Run buses from there to the stadium.

Folsom doesn't need to get much bigger than 60K. That's pretty much an upper limit here in Bronco country for a college game. I remember seeing empty seats that November day when Rashaan went over 2K. Getting the IPF built is the primary goal. Infrastructure fixes for Folsom are next. Additional seating would be gravy.

There were a whopping 46,000 fans in the stands that day when Rashaan Salaam broke 2,000 yards.

And that was a 10-1 CU team, which was ranked #7 in the country at the time.

There were a whopping 46,000 fans in the stands that day when Rashaan Salaam broke 2,000 yards.

And at that point Folsom held 51,748 (~88.9% capacity for that game) and since 1990, the Denver population has grown from 1,622,980 to 2,599,504 (+60.7%) in 2011. And hey, it's a good thing statisticians only use one sample/example!

And at that point Folsom held 51,748 (~88.9% capacity for that game) and since 1990, the Denver population has grown from 1,622,980 to 2,599,504 (+60.7%) in 2011. And hey, it's a good thing statisticians only use one sample/example!

Of those additional 976,524 people who have moved to Denver from out of state, probably only a handful of them are Buffs fans (one of them is skinsfan55). We'll get some more on the bandwagon if we start doing really well gain, but that's a ways off.

Has CU ever aggressively marketed or provided exceptional service when it comes to tickets?

(That question was rhetorical.)

What I'm getting at is that we're drawing 48-52k on average while doing absolutely everything wrong. Based on that, you can't convince me that we wouldn't draw 60-65k if we did most things right (or just a little better).

Of those additional 976,524 people who have moved to Denver from out of state, probably only a handful of them are Buffs fans (one of them is skinsfan55). We'll get some more on the bandwagon if we start doing really well gain, but that's a ways off.

Disagree that we have to really start winning again. Make a bowl game and people will hop on the bandwagon and come to games. They don't have to be Buff fans either to get a good chunk to come to Folsom either. Folsom on Saturday afternoons is a great place to spend a day with the family for a pretty low price.

I would rather have consistent 54K sell outs than struggling to get 60K with 4/$40 deals.

If those are the options, then I would agree. I don't believe that those are the options unless CU accepts the status quo despite indications from firings that they do not accept this status quo.

I was one of those folks. You need to remember something about that game - there was a forecast for really bad weather that day. It had snowed a day or two prior, and more snow was expected. Now, as luck would have it, it was a gorgeous day. However, a lot of folks saw the forecast and stayed home. Using that game as an example of poor attendance is not appropriate.

I'll add that the NFL game day experience sucks ballz. This is definitely an NFL town. The game day experience is better in Boulder, though. Give people something to cheer for, and I'm convinced they'll put 65k in the stadium.

I was one of those folks. You need to remember something about that game - there was a forecast for really bad weather that day. It had snowed a day or two prior, and more snow was expected. Now, as luck would have it, it was a gorgeous day. However, a lot of folks saw the forecast and stayed home. Using that game as an example of poor attendance is not appropriate.

That day was magic. One of the best CU experiences that I've ever attended.

That day was magic. One of the best CU experiences that I've ever attended.

That day was surreal. Mac announced his retirement on the post game presser. From pure elation to confused bewilderment in the span of an hour.

That day was surreal. Mac announced his retirement on the post game presser. From pure elation to confused bewilderment in the span of an hour.

Good point. I should say the game was magic and Mac was a dirtbag for his timing.

People were crushed after the loss to NU. If we had beat NU we would have been ranked No 1 and it would have been full.

Exactly, I was standing on the corner of Arapahoe and Folsom with a large group waiting to cross the street. One fan had a boom box on his shoulder playing the post game interviews when Mac dropped the bomb. Hundreds of people went from euphoria to emotionally dead in the blink of an eye.

Exactly, I was standing on the corner of Arapahoe and Folsom with a large group waiting to cross the street. One fan had a boom box on his shoulder playing the post game interviews when Mac dropped the bomb. Hundreds of people went from euphoria to emotionally dead in the blink of an eye.

John-Cusack-in-Say-Anythi-002.jpg

It was also Iowa ****ing State.

It was also Iowa ****ing State.

I've always thought that the opponent shouldn't matter. If you're a fan, you go to the game regardless of opponent. That is, unless, you have reason to believe you will freeze your ass off in a blizzard.

i've always thought that the opponent shouldn't matter. If you're a fan, you go to the game regardless of opponent. That is, unless, it's at sports authority stadium and the denver pd wants to practice homeland security tactics on a bunch of stoopid drunk college kids.

fify

Back