What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stanford @ UW game thread

hard to root for either one, but I was pulling for uw. Their defense really played a great game. As a CU fan we need loses in all pac12 teams loser column.

UW's OLine has been decimated by injuries this year. I've never seen anything like it.

4 of the 5 projected starters from last year are out. Porter retired due to chronic shoulder problems in the Spring (our best OL). Kohler and Riva are both out for awhile, and we've lost Tanigawa (probably the best mauler behind Porter) for the year as well. We're literally playing with our 3rd stringers in some positions.

Keith Price will need his feet this year, because he will not have much time in the pocket...

Never? Let me know when you start swapping players from the other side of the ball to play on a week's notice.

Great win for your team last night DD. Truth be told I was rooting for Stanford because I want our conference to have single strong representative that isn't from Eugene, or doesn't play in the Coliseum, and Stanford looked to be that team. That said I was happy for you. Good win.

So does this put UW into that upper echelon of Pac 12 teams?

I think I'd like to see how they do against USC and/or Oregon first. Not that they have to win those games, but if they are competitive, I'd say UW has really turned their program around. It's good to see, frankly. It gives me hope that we can do the same. I see a lot of similarities between CU and UW.

Oddly enough I was not surprised by that outcome although that is because I dislike the Stanford quarterback. The annoying part of the uw win is now for the next week I have to hear "we're back"

Oddly enough I was not surprised by that outcome although that is because I dislike the Stanford quarterback. The annoying part of the uw win is now for the next week I have to hear "we're back"

They are right, IMO.

I think I'd like to see how they do against USC and/or Oregon first. Not that they have to win those games, but if they are competitive, I'd say UW has really turned their program around. It's good to see, frankly. It gives me hope that we can do the same. I see a lot of similarities between CU and UW.
well they just beat the team that pushed usc all over the place

I think I'd like to see how they do against USC and/or Oregon first.
Not that they have to win those games, but if they are competitive, I'd say UW has really turned their program around. It's good to see, frankly. It gives me hope that we can do the same. I see a lot of similarities between CU and UW.

Personally, I'm not ready to give them that just yet. When all is set and done, they will lose to more than just USC and Oregon. Certainly a nice win last night, but Stanford is not the 8th best team in the country. Tough stretch for the Huskies coming up

After they are crushed by Oregon and USC I doubt they will still be talking like that. I will admit uw is back as soon as they best the ducks.

I agree, but I think this was a real solid win by UW. They definitely have talent. They were consistently frustrated offensively the whole game, but their D stood strong against a very good rushing team in Stanford, and they finally produced the pivotal offensive points that they needed. Kind of reminds me of a few CU-KSU matchups (12-0, and 16-6). The 16-6 one I think really propelled Colorado towards the Big 12 title.

Never? Let me know when you start swapping players from the other side of the ball to play on a week's notice.

Yes, never actually. Although it is very reminiscent of the CU injuries in that recent season. It's certainly never been this bad at UW though...

Part of my thinking is the rash of ACL injuries specifically we've sustained as a whole for the football team this year. I've never seen a team with so many ACL injuries in one season. Some are just freak things, but they shouldn't be happening weekly...

I can´t think of one good reason why a corner would ever want to make the pick on fourth down. Costs you yards.

In general I agree that you shouldn't intercept a 4th down ball. Especially if it was thrown deep.

More recently I've been thinking that in tightly contested situations it's not a horrible thing to do though, especially if it absolutely rules out the possibility of a catch. Generally you should bat the ball down. If there is any chance of the receiver coming up with an improbable play though I think making the interception is reasonable as well.

There have been just a couple of games within the past year (I can't remember the exact situations) where I saw a player make a play on a 4th down ball and thought that it was actually a reasonable thing to do.

Last night's play could've been swatted out of bounds probably, but I can't fault him for making the pick.

In general I agree that you shouldn't intercept a 4th down ball. Especially if it was thrown deep.

More recently I've been thinking that in tightly contested situations it's not a horrible thing to do though, especially if it absolutely rules out the possibility of a catch. Generally you should bat the ball down. If there is any chance of the receiver coming up with an improbable play though I think making the interception is reasonable as well.

There have been just a couple of games within the past year (I can't remember the exact situations) where I saw a player make a play on a 4th down ball and thought that it was actually a reasonable thing to do.

Last night's play could've been swatted out of bounds probably, but I can't fault him for making the pick.

He could have just dropped as he went down with it last night, but this is of course easy to say for me while I am sitting here in front of my laptop. It can be easy to have such presence of mind in such a situation with x thousand people screaming and the adrenaline flowing big time. Every corner´s instincts will tell him to make the pick when he has a chance and I seriously doubt those guys think about or even know what it down is when the ball is thrown to their man.

Tough stretch for the Huskies coming up

At Oregon and hosting U$C the next two weeks will be tough no matter what.

The one good thing about their schedule is that the toughest game by far (in Baton Rouge at LSU) is over. Stanford has simply dominated the Huskies over the past 3 years (over 1500 yds total, and last year alone with well over 400 yds rushing), and this win was potentially a turning point for this team.

There will certainly be tough games at Arizona and with a resurgent OSU.... But until those games are played I have to believe that the 3 toughest in-conference matchups for the Huskies are the Ducks, Trojans and Cardinal. With Stanford now over, 2 of the 4 toughest games on the schedule theoretically are already done. Most everybody I know thought UW would start 2-4 with losses to LSU, Stanford, Oregon and USC. It will certainly be interesting to see how the year plays out. UW can beat any of the remaining teams, and they can lose to any of the remaining teams as well IMO... I still have no idea what to expect.

UW still has a major glaring weakness on the O line. It is their achilles heel and will likely determine the rest of the season...

He could have just dropped as he went down with it last night, but this is of course easy to say for me while I am sitting here in front of my laptop. It can be easy to have such presence of mind in such a situation with x thousand people screaming and the adrenaline flowing big time. Every corner´s instincts will tell him to make the pick when he has a chance and I seriously doubt those guys think about or even know what it down is when the ball is thrown to their man.

I hear you and mostly agree. I usually yell when I see 4th down picks. Most of the time it's absolutely stupid to make the play.

If UW goes 1-1 against USC and the UO then I'd say they are back. Not back to winning MNCs, see the LSU game, but back at a level where they are able to compete for Pac12 championships. I'd love to see how their defense holds up against a balanced attack, but it was definitely impressive last night.

Nunes and the passing game seemed to disappear after the first drive, and it didn't reappear until late. Oh, there was a completion here and there, but it wasn't a consistent threat. I think the dawg D took note and focused on the run. If I saw this right, it was a good adjustment.

Congrats to the dawgs on the win. Good, competitive game, too, unlike some of the prime-time yawners of late.

Oh, and when will that insufferable Yogi show up with some snooty comment about 'furd?

At Oregon and hosting U$C the next two weeks will be tough no matter what.

The one good thing about their schedule is that the toughest game by far (in Baton Rouge at LSU) is over. Stanford has simply dominated the Huskies over the past 3 years (over 1500 yds total, and last year alone with well over 400 yds rushing), and this win was potentially a turning point for this team.

There will certainly be tough games at Arizona and with a resurgent OSU.... But until those games are played I have to believe that the 3 toughest in-conference matchups for the Huskies are the Ducks, Trojans and Cardinal. With Stanford now over, 2 of the 4 toughest games on the schedule theoretically are already done. Most everybody I know thought UW would start 2-4 with losses to LSU, Stanford, Oregon and USC. It will certainly be interesting to see how the year plays out. UW can beat any of the remaining teams, and they can lose to any of the remaining teams as well IMO... I still have no idea what to expect.

UW still has a major glaring weakness on the O line. It is their achilles heel and will likely determine the rest of the season...

I would actually think playing the ducks at autzen is as hard as death valley. If the uw defense can play against usc like it did vs stanford then i think uw has a chance.

I would actually think playing the ducks at autzen is as hard as death valley. If the uw defense can play against usc like it did vs stanford then i think uw has a chance.

Disagree. It's not even close. There will not be as difficult a game for the Huskies as the LSU game for the rest of the year. Perhaps ever, because I doubt Sark will ever go to Baton Rouge in September again.

Playing at Autzen might be similar in difficulty as playing in Baton Rouge in December... maybe. Not even close when it's hot.

Right now Autzen is probably the most difficult Pac stadium to play in, sure... for now anyway. The weather is the same as Seattle by and large and it does not overwhelm a body or take significant amounts of time to acclimate to it though.

Have you ever been to the south when the humidity level is as high as the temperature (both over 90)?

The heat and humidity coupled with an intimidating and awesome stadium make Death Valley a far, far more difficult venue to play at during the first week of September. I'm not knocking Autzen by any means. If you are not used to it, heat and humidity are impossible to prepare for and it's overwhelming.

Anyway, the game in Baton Rouge was the perfect recipe for a beatdown of the Huskies. I don't think there is a team in the country (including Alabama) that would have beat LSU that day. Huskies lose 100 out of 100 times under the same conditions.

I would much rather face a speed based team like Oregon at Autzen than face an incredibly physical team on their home turf when the heat and humidity are beating you down just as much as the other team.

Oregon wins this week's game 85 times or more out of 100. Those are much better odds in my book. UW has a small chance at least...

Anyway, hoping for a well-played and injury free game. And may the Dawgs win:thumbsup:

Disagree. It's not even close. There will not be as difficult a game for the Huskies as the LSU game for the rest of the year. Perhaps ever, because I doubt Sark will ever go to Baton Rouge in September again.

Playing at Autzen might be similar in difficulty as playing in Baton Rouge in December... maybe. Not even close when it's hot.

Right now Autzen is probably the most difficult Pac stadium to play in, sure... for now anyway. The weather is the same as Seattle by and large and it does not overwhelm a body or take significant amounts of time to acclimate to it though.

Have you ever been to the south when the humidity level is as high as the temperature (both over 90)?

The heat and humidity coupled with an intimidating and awesome stadium make Death Valley a far, far more difficult venue to play at during the first week of September. I'm not knocking Autzen by any means. If you are not used to it, heat and humidity are impossible to prepare for and it's overwhelming.

Anyway, the game in Baton Rouge was the perfect recipe for a beatdown of the Huskies. I don't think there is a team in the country (including Alabama) that would have beat LSU that day. Huskies lose 100 out of 100 times under the same conditions.

I would much rather face a speed based team like Oregon at Autzen than face an incredibly physical team on their home turf when the heat and humidity are beating you down just as much as the other team.

Oregon wins this week's game 85 times or more out of 100. Those are much better odds in my book. UW has a small chance at least...

Anyway, hoping for a well-played and injury free game. And may the Dawgs win:thumbsup:

And also, when the players look into the crowd in Autzen, they'll see a familiar blend of checkered flannel and John Deer ballcaps, and smell the reassuring blend of dark coffee and dark beer on the breath of the fans--it will seem like home.

Corndogs are scary.

Back