What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Start. Building. Facilities. Now.

I was saving this for your birthday, but you earned it:

images

I really don't like nuts on my cake. But thanks for thinking of me. You're sweet....

Oh, so facilities are all that's keeping us from competing against the likes of Boise St. Gotcha. Well then, let's get right on that 35,000 seat stadium, shall we?
I'm a CU grad, and I live in Boise...
Granted, BSU has a pretty small stadium, but they're getting a new football complex built in time for the 2013 season and have had a nice indoor facility since December of 2005.

Granted, BSU has a pretty small stadium, but they're getting a new football complex built in time for the 2013 season and have had a nice indoor facility since December of 2005.
What's the new seating capacity?

Maybe we could get on a home and garden show and do a $5 million rebuild for $5k

All we need is 'wow factor' not quality, right?

aint going to happen with our admin. and their expectations of a "football program" - really disappointing

i'm just curious if you were drinking when you posted cdog. If so, perhaps i can assist you since my mo has been to get intoxicated at least once every 3 weeks (usually on a tues or wed) and post nonsense. I have a template you can use for future drunk posting:

Intro & salutations.
Rambling point made infused with honest opinion; praise of cu.
Citing of examples or innuendo suggesting the superiority of my team/school/point.
A sprinkling of passive-aggressiveness somewhere.
Incoherent conclusion.

Followed by:
Entering chat to pick a fight; get curb stomped by everyone in chat and then leave chat.
Find a post by walrus, bp or nik somewhere and reply with unrelated nonsense or a put down.
Pm nik or boulder buff links to recruiting info that they don’t want or need.
Sign out of allbuffs.

Works like a charm...especially if you like neg rep and warnings

ymssr

Last 5 years, the "Winners" have built nice facilities. We won't win the PAC 12 South until we have them, and will never win the PAC12. This is why I rarely post, because some guy eating donuts in his tighty whities always has to judge the quality of your posts. Whatever, go watch another episode of Biggest Loser.

Denver_SC gives this thread: 4 Stars

Comments: Would read again!

In all seriousness, I work in a business where I occasionally work with Universities. Boise State happens to be one. A few months ago, I went on-site with some of my colleagues, and they gave us the whole meal-deal tour. Even though we were there primarily to talk to the engineering and physics faculty, they took us for lunch at the faculty club, which is in a skybox at the stadium. They gave us the full tour of the stadium on the way up.

They said that after the 2008 Fiesta Bowl, they saw a 30% YOY jump in applications.

They may not have the best facilities, but they are (I'm assuming) light-years ahead of the rest of the non-AQ schools and they certainly know how to use what they've got, which segues in to the rest of the cake-centric conversation in this thread.

Last edited:
Denver_SC gives this thread: 4 Stars

Comments: Would read again!

In all seriousness, I work in a business where I occasionally work with Universities. Boise State happens to be one. A few months ago, I went on-site with some of my colleagues, and they gave us the whole meal-deal tour. Even though we were there primarily to talk to the engineering and physics faculty, they took us for lunch at the faculty club, which is in a skybox at the stadium. They gave us the full tour of the stadium on the way up.

They said that after the 2008 Fiesta Bowl, they saw a 30% YOY jump in applications.

They may not have the best facilities, but they are (I'm assuming) light-years ahead of the rest of the non-AQ schools and they certainly know how to use what they've got, which segues in to the rest of the cake-centric conversation in this thread.

Did they serve donuts?

This may be true but the competition for funds with their research wing would mean choosing between a practice bubble and a new body shop for voc ed.

Something in this thread has been bugging me. You guys keep saying "tighty whities." Isn't it "whitey tighties?"

On a serious note: I happened to tune into 760 AM the other morning to listen to the libs talk poltitics in order to get a few laughs. The guy's name is David Sirota. He is a very smart guy. To my surprise, he was talking NCAA football with a guy who writes for some liberal magazine. The Nation or something. Anyway, it was actually really interesting and a helluva lot better "sports talk" than you get on the sports talk stations.

The premise of the guy was that NCAA football has gotten way too big and that schools are practically bankrupting themselves to big huge facilities in order to compete with other programs that are bankrupting themselves to big huge facilities. All the while, their argument is, they are treating athletes as "indentured servants." Then they got into the whole "athletes should be paid" thing which is a different thread.

At any rate, I believe they have a point about facilities. I'm all for us improving our facilities. But not at the sake of killing ourselves financially. There has to be money in place before we dive into it. Now, I know Bohn is working behind the scenes to build the funding. I just have no clue where he is with it. But are you guys suggesting that CU take our a loan and get started before the money is there?

On a serious note: I happened to tune into 760 AM the other morning to listen to the libs talk poltitics in order to get a few laughs. The guy's name is David Sirota. He is a very smart guy. To my surprise, he was talking NCAA football with a guy who writes for some liberal magazine. The Nation or something. Anyway, it was actually really interesting and a helluva lot better "sports talk" than you get on the sports talk stations.

The premise of the guy was that NCAA football has gotten way too big and that schools are practically bankrupting themselves to big huge facilities in order to compete with other programs that are bankrupting themselves to big huge facilities. All the while, their argument is, they are treating athletes as "indentured servants." Then they got into the whole "athletes should be paid" thing which is a different thread.

At any rate, I believe they have a point about facilities. I'm all for us improving our facilities. But not at the sake of killing ourselves financially. There has to be money in place before we dive into it. Now, I know Bohn is working behind the scenes to build the funding. I just have no clue where he is with it. But are you guys suggesting that CU take our a loan and get started before the money is there?

the other side of the coin is that ticket prices are going to go up a lot soon. I don't know what it costs for LSU season tickets but I bet it is comparable to the saints already on a per game level. So you guys that start screaming about stadium upgrades and practice facilities better not complain when ticket prices double.

DBT - no, I don't want to see CU do what iowa state or bailer did, which is essentially mortgage the farm based on "potential" tv revenue estimates for the next 20 years. However, the AD does need to be a little more daring. We need improvements and that will probably require some creative funding (ie, loans) but I agree that there should be something in the kitty before it all starts.

the other side of the coin is that ticket prices are going to go up a lot soon. I don't know what it costs for LSU season tickets but I bet it is comparable to the saints already on a per game level. So you guys that start screaming about stadium upgrades and practice facilities better not complain when ticket prices double.

If we retrun to winning conference championships (which we want) and upgrade facilities (which we want), better get ready to start writing another 0 on the check for season tickets.

DBT - no, I don't want to see CU do what iowa state or bailer did, which is essentially mortgage the farm based on "potential" tv revenue estimates for the next 20 years. However, the AD does need to be a little more daring. We need improvements and that will probably require some creative funding (ie, loans) but I agree that there should be something in the kitty before it all starts.
Good point. So, our revenue in the PAC will go from $9 million to $25 million, right? Our AD was barely breaking even before. We actually may have been negative. At any rate, lets say we now are earning $15 million after expenses. The next step will be to up salaries if we want to keep guys like Boyle as well as keep good assistant coaches. So that will cut the revenue even more. Trying to be conservative, say we are clearing $10 million a year. Is that enough to guarantee a loan for $100 million?

Good point. So, our revenue in the PAC will go from $9 million to $25 million, right? Our AD was barely breaking even before. We actually may have been negative. At any rate, lets say we now are earning $15 million after expenses. The next step will be to up salaries if we want to keep guys like Boyle as well as keep good assistant coaches. So that will cut the revenue even more. Trying to be conservative, say we are clearing $10 million a year. Is that enough to guarantee a loan for $100 million?

We need to clear out debts first. I'm not sure where we are, but we had to finance stuff for the east boxes, Barnett and Hawkins. There have been other smaller improvement projects for which I don't know the funding status (from budget or Foundation loan). Plus some of the projects for other sports, particularly basketball/volleyball. I think it will take about 2 or 3 years with the extra revenue before our balance sheet is clean, assuming we earmark the new money for debt.

I am sure the cheap seats will have the highest % change in cost, but I don't think all ticket prices will double. The face value on section 118 this year was just under $70, and I could see that jumping up to $75 next year. The overall cost will go up for all ticket holders as there will be one more game to purchase next season. This past year it cost me $610 for the season ticket (face+donation+parking+RMS upgrade to lower bowl - company match of donation), and next year I will expect to pay about $100 more for the season.

I know season ticket sales were over 25,000 in 2011, but I don't know if the athletic department will raise prices to much in 2012 given that they want a high # of season ticket sales and the team went 3-10 last year.

I'm all in for bigger weight rooms, conditioning rooms, dining etc... But please don't waste the money on an indoor practice field. The bubble is fine for the 5 days of bad weather Boulder gets each late summer / fall if we need to fun plays. The rest of the time should be spent practicing and conditioning outside - where football is played - or in the weight room. A giant building so that kickers can kick without wind is pointless.

I'm all in for bigger weight rooms, conditioning rooms, dining etc... But please don't waste the money on an indoor practice field. The bubble is fine for the 5 days of bad weather Boulder gets each late summer / fall if we need to fun plays. The rest of the time should be spent practicing and conditioning outside - where football is played - or in the weight room. A giant building so that kickers can kick without wind is pointless.

It's useful. I don't think it has a big impact on game preparedness during the season, but it probably does for bowls and winter/spring training. It's also good if we're getting ready to play someone on turf.

The bigger impact is probably on recruiting and program morale. It's important to impress recruits and it's important for your players to always feel like they're being taken care of as part of a big time program.

An indoor facility is essential. It would be used more than five days a year.

A new indoor facility would help to land recruits like 4* Wes Brown. We will out-recruit Maryland in the near future. We need to be able to win recruiting battles against ACC schools, TCU, Boise St, mid-tier winning schools. The PAC12 should be an attraction to come to CU IF we had some top-end facilities. If you have been in our bubble, trust me it is in bad condition. Go look at Oregon's locker room, enough said. The future football recruits need to see what our basketball recruits are seeing with new facilties (yesterday, not 2 years from now) Start. Building. Now. And spend large like you aren't going to spend again for next 10-20 years, Go Big or Go Home.
Donate. $250MM. Now.

Back