What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Start Simmons or Jefferson - bench Espinoza thread

You guys crack me up. You think seriously that if Simmons could contribute right now more than Espy, he'd be sitting? There's more to playing WR than being fast and tall. I said in early August that everyone was expecting WAY too much of Simmons as he'd have little time to learn the offense, understand his reads, and sync his timing with the offense. And that was BEFORE he got delayed an additional two weeks. Espy may not get seperation on the deep routes, but he's open a lot because he runs excellent routes and Cody knows where he's going. Cody does not know where Simmons and WillJeff are going from what I saw. Wright is really lost. I think the staff put a huge effort into getting these three guys ready for the first two games and it backfired. For game three, they focused on playing what they had (including Lock and Moyd at WR). Clearly - they are just further along at this point. It is unfair to expect Simmons, Wright, or WillJeff to make big contributions before the B12 season starts and that has always been a true statement. I think you will start to see a lot more of them after this long gap before the WVA game. Hopefully, Simas will get healthy as well.

Espy has been a true warrior out there and I support him 100%.

Also, I watched WillJeff 3 times on Saturday and all three times he could not get off the line of scrimmage. The CB tied him up in knots. What I'd expect with a True Freshmen coming from a non-football power HS. He's learning the game.

You guys want to play the tallest best 40 yard dash guys! Cracking me up.... We are dealing with reality not fantasy.

Also - I hear we need to fix the Cody problem? How? We are here. We have what we have. This is reality. There are two choices. Play Hansen now knowing he is a distant #2, take our lumps and hope he's better for it next year - or play Cody, and hope the WR's continue to improve, the O-Line comes together, and we don't have to ask much of Cody (and he improves) and we get by. This is a legit question and I'm torn - but I don't see either option as the FIX. I'm with Cody as long as we have a chance to get to a bowl game, since it's been made real clear that Hansen is not an immediate upgrade.

QB has been a problem for the 14 years I've been going to CU games.... I fantasize about the day that we get one of the guys to come here such as any of the blue chips we've offered the last 4 years. Unfortunately, Landry Jones isn't here so we can't play him. We have Cody, Hansen and Clark and between them they had about zero other BCS school offers. Whine, whine, whine that it's all Cody's fault that Landry Jones didn't come here. Forget that there hasn't been an NFL QB here in hmmmm, a very, very long time. Long enough that these kids wouldn't remember him!

I'm Mr. Patient, but I'm starting to get bothered by the fact our "athletic" guys somehow never know where to turn, a la J-Fly the last couple of years. What is up with that? At some point, it has to be coaching.

Our opponents support him 100% as a starting WR as well.

You guys want to play the tallest best 40 yard dash guys! Cracking me up.... We are dealing with reality not fantasy.

Or maybe we see an offense that has no hope of stretching the field with the current starting WR. Nevermind, that couldn't be it. At all.:rolleyes:

Also - I hear we need to fix the Cody problem? How? We are here. We have what we have. This is reality. There are two choices. Play Hansen now knowing he is a distant #2, take our lumps and hope he's better for it next year - or play Cody, and hope the WR's continue to improve, the O-Line comes together, and we don't have to ask much of Cody (and he improves) and we get by. This is a legit question and I'm torn - but I don't see either option as the FIX. I'm with Cody as long as we have a chance to get to a bowl game, since it's been made real clear that Hansen is not an immediate upgrade.

QB has been a problem for the 14 years I've been going to CU games.... I fantasize about the day that we get one of the guys to come here such as any of the blue chips we've offered the last 4 years. Unfortunately, Landry Jones isn't here so we can't play him. We have Cody, Hansen and Clark and between them they had about zero other BCS school offers. Whine, whine, whine that it's all Cody's fault that Landry Jones didn't come here. Forget that there hasn't been an NFL QB here in hmmmm, a very, very long time. Long enough that these kids wouldn't remember him!

So in other words, you're giving the coaches a pass. Again.:rolleyes:

What bugs me is why, now that Simas is off suspension, that he did not get a ton of PT on Sat. I can understand why Simmons, who just joined the program a couple of weeks ago, may not get PT because of his limited familiarity with the system but Simas has been with the program two years and should know the playbook inside and out. All we've been hearing is how much the O has missed him and how great it will be to get this tall & talented WR out there. Why then did he only see the field for a handful of plays yet Espinoza is in on 80% of the snaps?!!!!! WTF!
This is the kind of sh!t that makes me question Hawk and his ability to coach, especially on game day.

hes hurt man

I love the insinuation that it is somehow ridiculous to want the tall, fast guys to play WR over the slow, short players.

I think you may be the one not operating in reality.

You guys crack me up. You think seriously that if Simmons could contribute right now more than Espy, he'd be sitting? There's more to playing WR than being fast and tall. I said in early August that everyone was expecting WAY too much of Simmons as he'd have little time to learn the offense, understand his reads, and sync his timing with the offense. And that was BEFORE he got delayed an additional two weeks. Espy may not get seperation on the deep routes, but he's open a lot because he runs excellent routes and Cody knows where he's going. Cody does not know where Simmons and WillJeff are going from what I saw. Wright is really lost. I think the staff put a huge effort into getting these three guys ready for the first two games and it backfired. For game three, they focused on playing what they had (including Lock and Moyd at WR). Clearly - they are just further along at this point. It is unfair to expect Simmons, Wright, or WillJeff to make big contributions before the B12 season starts and that has always been a true statement. I think you will start to see a lot more of them after this long gap before the WVA game. Hopefully, Simas will get healthy as well.

Also, I watched WillJeff 3 times on Saturday and all three times he could not get off the line of scrimmage. The CB tied him up in knots. What I'd expect with a True Freshmen coming from a non-football power HS. He's learning the game.

:lol: You crack me up. The coaches hawk and keisau BOTH stated what a super talent this kid was,size,speed and hands. If you're telling me that espinosa's 3yd curl routes are better than having simmons out there you need some reality. Given the choice, I wonder what the other schools would be doing if this was their scenario.

Tell you what, get back to us after the buffs go into WV and Texas with espinosa out there while mcknight gets double coverage and we'll see how many times he catches a ball past 5 yds.

There's been plaenty of time for all the playbook, practice god BS to stop. Also, I'd rather have a 6-2 215 ,6-3 210 wr's out there to also block in the running game than midgets.

Yes, espy is a warrior and klatt was a warrior and moschetti was awarrior and ZEUS was a warrior and Geronimo was a warrior. We need big fast playmakers, we are 14-26 with practice guru's and warriors.

I am glad to hear we all crack you up so much and have provided you with so much laughter but the fact remains our wideouts (Espinoza and McKnight) are not up to par for the big 12.

And you want to talk about not gettin goff the line of scrimmage, just watch Espinoza when he lines up wide against Texas, I venture to guess he doesn't catch a ball and if he does it will be for a 3 yard gain, book it.

Even if Simmons, Jefferson, Simas and Wright are still catching up on the offense, they surely know how to run a deep route and at least put the idea into a d-backs mind that it is an option for us. Espy and McKnight although hard workers and great "route runners" don't scare a soul, the 3 yard outs will be there all day and there is a reason for that, the defense gives it to them. WE NEED SPEED IN THE GAME, not on the sidelines learning the offense.

I don't think benching Espy is needed here. He does his job and plays hard, he's just limited. Now if you're telling me Wright, Simmons, Jefferson aren't ready by the time we play WVU then something is wrong. If Jefferson can't even disengage a CB jam, how did he look so much better than Ussery and Darden in practice? Exactly how awful did they look in practice? Why weren't the coaches teaching them how to avoid a jam over the summer..

Either way a combination of McKnight and Simas should be fine since we should be running a 2 WR set anyway. Power running game with double TE sets, right coaches?

We should all still be expecting Simmons to have significant contributions to the team.

It's only been 3 games and he already has 1 catch.

You guys crack me up. You think seriously that if Simmons could contribute right now more than Espy, he'd be sitting? There's more to playing WR than being fast and tall. I said in early August that everyone was expecting WAY too much of Simmons as he'd have little time to learn the offense, understand his reads, and sync his timing with the offense. And that was BEFORE he got delayed an additional two weeks.

I said that as well, and got blasted for it.

No, the reality we're dealing with is that the opposing defenses do not have to worry about getting beat deep. So they cheat the safeties up and put 8-9 in the box. That makes it awfully hard on the running game.

I want to play the guys who the opposing defense has to respect and keeps them from cheating up. And every once in a while, they might catch a deep ball, too (provided they don't get overthrown).

:lol: You crack me up. The coaches hawk and keisau BOTH stated what a super talent this kid was,size,speed and hands. If you're telling me that espinosa's 3yd curl routes are better than having simmons out there you need some reality. Given the choice, I wonder what the other schools would be doing if this was their scenario.

Psyko has a good point because at least Simmons as a JC player should be close to ready. Yes he enrolled late and didn't get the practice time as a consequence, but he watched, had the playbook to study, (unless I'm mistaken on this one) and I suspect he did some unofficial things with the team in non-practice situations.

In any event here is a run down of how some other teams have used their JC receivers up to this point. These players would be in a peer group of Simmons or grade out even better by Scouts standards. All came from last years recruiting class:

JC Hayo Carpenter 5-11 4.37 Minnesota 1ca 18yds

JC Reggie Dunn 5-10 4.28 Oregon st. 0

JC Tyrece Gains 6-2 Oregon 0

JC Jamar Howard 6-2 Cincinnati 3ca 50yds

JC Cameron Kenney 6-2 Oklahoma 3ca 38yds

JC Maurice Langston 5-11 Miss St. 0

JC Brandon Kinnie 6-3/218/4.37 Nebraska 1ca 5yds

JC Josh Bellamy 6-2/197/4.41 Iowa State 0

JC Leon Berry 6-0/185 Mississippi State 7ca 77yds

JC Justin Hilton 6-2.5/188 Liberty 0

JC Markish Jones 6-3/200/4.50 California 0

JC Michael Lindsey 6-3/205/4.30 Memphis 0

JC Chris Matthews 6-5/210/4.50 Kentucky 10ca 91yds

JC Maurice Patterson 6-3 Nevada 0

JC Edgard Theliar 6-3/190/4.40 Florida International 0

JC Travis Cobb 6-0/180/4.40 Arizona 0

JC Justin Jordan 5-11/195/4.45 Southern Miss 0

JC Andre Simmons 1ca 44yds

To me the most disturbing stat I came across when doing this research is no wide receiver other than Scotty and Espy has more than 1 reception for the Buffs. Backs and tight-ends yes, but no WR with more than one catch other than those two. We are really hurting for balanced production at this position and if staff is right on these other kids when they don’t play them we are in a sorrier state than I would have ever thought at WR on the team. What happens if Scotty gets hurt??

Yes, espy is a warrior and klatt was a warrior and moschetti was awarrior and ZEUS was a warrior and Geronimo was a warrior. We need big fast playmakers, we are 14-26 with practice guru's and warriors.

Technically, Zeus was not a warrior. If you're going to pick a Greek God to use as an example of a warrior, I'd suggest Ares.

What happens if Scotty gets hurt??

Then hawk is on the phone with willie wonka telling him to send a box of everlasting gobstoppers and his fastest oompa loompa

My theory (which I espoused about 3/4 the way through the CSU game) is that Hawk is trying to prove he's the greatest coach in the history of D1 football...

Hear me out on this one. He effectively said to Fairchild:

"I am going to beat you with a team of walkons, and for extra humiliation, I will not use any TOs in the first half, and then all of them in the second half with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. On top of that, I am going to start lil' Hawk, and appparantly not teach the O-Line how to run block at all." He's doing the same thing for the rest of the games. Once you've got a system that works... you gotta stick to your guns.

Our opponents support him 100% as a starting WR as well.

Or maybe we see an offense that has no hope of stretching the field with the current starting WR. Nevermind, that couldn't be it. At all.:rolleyes:

So in other words, you're giving the coaches a pass. Again.:rolleyes:
Nope - I just can't keep stating they should be playing the fast guys. If it's obvious to you and me, I think Kiesau gets that faster is better. I can find a lot of fault here, but for us amateurs to keep railing on why such and such guys isn't playing is ridiculous. I haven't been to a practice since Simmons got here and neither has anyone else on this board.

Kiesau and Hawk may not be the coaches you are looking for, but I'm "pretty sure" they would be playing 6'4" Simmons with his speed over the diminutive and dog-ass slow Espinosa if they felt they could. It's not just speed and height -thats all.

By the way, what did we ever get out of playing Josh Smith at WR when it's well document that he didn't practice hard, and didn't bother to learn the offense? NOTTA. In the long run, precedent is being set. There is one way onto the field folks. My way or the highway and if Hawkins EVER compromises on THIS point, he's done. He may be done anyhow but there is no compromising on who plays. Talent is not enough of a criteria to get your ass on the field. Period. No compromise.

BTW, I have no idea why Simmons is not on the field. He is clearly athletic enough so he is either "dinged" or not doing what he needs to do to get there. All of us Monday Morning QB's have ZERO insight into what that last point is but I've played enough ball to know there are no short cuts. Ask Brandon Freakin' Marshall how much talent you need to "have it your way".... hint: Coaches way or the highway. Like it or lump it.

I don't really give a **** how hard someone works in practice. Do you? Do you watch practices in person and enjoy them more than games?

I care about winning, and the best way to win is to play the best players. I don't care about life lessons at this point, and, frankly, I don't think the players do either.

This coaching staff plays favorites with bad to mediocre players. They always have. They always will, in my opinion.

The writing is on the wall with regards to this aspect of their coaching system and if you don't see it now, you never will.

Football at this level is about winning, period. The only people who think otherwise are those that can't find ways to win.

Nope - I just can't keep stating they should be playing the fast guys. If it's obvious to you and me, I think Kiesau gets that faster is better. I can find a lot of fault here, but for us amateurs to keep railing on why such and such guys isn't playing is ridiculous. I haven't been to a practice since Simmons got here and neither has anyone else on this board.

Kiesau and Hawk may not be the coaches you are looking for, but I'm "pretty sure" they would be playing 6'4" Simmons with his speed over the diminutive and dog-ass slow Espinosa if they felt they could. It's not just speed and height -thats all.

By the way, what did we ever get out of playing Josh Smith at WR when it's well document that he didn't practice hard, and didn't bother to learn the offense? NOTTA. In the long run, precedent is being set. There is one way onto the field folks. My way or the highway and if Hawkins EVER compromises on THIS point, he's done. He may be done anyhow but there is no compromising on who plays. Talent is not enough of a criteria to get your ass on the field. Period. No compromise.

BTW, I have no idea why Simmons is not on the field. He is clearly athletic enough so he is either "dinged" or not doing what he needs to do to get there. All of us Monday Morning QB's have ZERO insight into what that last point is but I've played enough ball to know there are no short cuts. Ask Brandon Freakin' Marshall how much talent you need to "have it your way".... hint: Coaches way or the highway. Like it or lump it.

Coach Hack is that you?:lol:

I don't really give a **** how hard someone works in practice. Do you? Do you watch practices in person and enjoy them more than games?

I care about winning, and the best way to win is to play the best players. I don't care about life lessons at this point, and, frankly, I don't think the players do either.

This coaching staff plays favorites with bad to mediocre players. They always have. They always will, in my opinion.

The writing is on the wall with regards to this aspect of their coaching system and if you don't see it now, you never will.

Football at this level is about winning, period. The only people who think otherwise are those that can't find ways to win.

Football is indeed about winning. And teams whose talented players practice hard, learn the playbook, and concentrate are the ones who win. If you think there is a winning team that lets its talented players be lazy in practice and still play, please tell me what that team is, because I've never heard of a team that didn't practice hard and still won championships.

I've no idea if Hawk is "playing favorites," as I haven't been to practices that are closed to the public. But the idea that Hawk doesn't want his best players on the field is pretty silly, considering how quickly guys like Ryan Miller, Bryce Givens, Max Tuioti-Marriner, Rodney Stewart, Ryan Deehan, Josh Smith and Ray Polk have started games. Every single guy I just named started as a true freshman except Givens and Polk, and Givens would have seen the field as a true freshman if he hadn't been out with a series of concussions.

And that's not counting guys like Major and Kasa who got hurt as freshmen and didn't get the chance to start as true freshman.

Well, coach hawk is going to be the one taking the highway if he continues to leave speed and talent on the bench in favor of practice warriors. Is espy a better blocker in the running game? Is he faster? Simmons and the rest can't run a 3yd curl route?

buffaholic, let me put it this way:

What Hawk is doing with the WRs isn't working (and it is Hawk making that call - he is not only the HC, he is also the WR coach). Shall we continue to bang our heads against the wall hoping that Espy and Scotty will emerge into deep threats, or shall we play some guys who actually are deep threats?

If the Buffs offense wants to be more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust, they've got to get the safeties out of the box. The only surefire way I know to do that is to put some speed on the field that the safeties have to respect.

But then again, I'm not a Division I football coach, so what do I know?

How else are we going to build depth? Are these guys just magically going to know what to do in the third quarter of a tie ballgame in the tenth of the season when they're finally called upon? Also, as some others have said, what happens when either McKnight or Espinoza goes down?

If Hawk cannot find more than 2-3 WRs to "buy in," then he is a ****ty head coach and a ****ty position coach. This coaching staff has earned absolutely no benefit of the doubt when it comes to the offense. We're in year four and we look horrible.

A deep threat is only a deep threat if the guy throwing the ball can get it downfield.

If we are going off of who works the hardest in practice, Brian Lockridge should be seeing the field EVERY PLAY! He is far and away the hardest working kid and anyone who has watched 10 minutes of practice knows this, he sprints here, sprints there. Sprints back to the huddle, sprints to the next station. Playing the kids who work the hardest is not an excuse anymore.

Honestly---part of me knows Hawkins should be on, at the minimum, an extremely hot seat. No matter what he took over from GB, its time for results. In every other capacity, the dude is doing great things for CU, but, it's time for results in the record book. However, we are becoming a joke. Ripping EVERYTHING he does and thinking he doesnt have the mental capacity as a coach that we do, even when it comes to the simplest of things. Guys, do you really believe he doesnt know that the ideal situation would be having his two fastest WR's out there?? He has an ego,pride, and a need to succeed and keep his job. THEY ARE NOT READY. Hopefully they are by West Virginia, but, people repeatedly yelling about benching Espy for Wright/Simmons or saying this is Hawkins loving the movie Rudy or some ****, you're acting like 3 year olds. They simply arent ready. It takes a long time to have any kind of a clue what youre doing as WR in D-1 football. You dont just line them up and say, "you go deep", okay, "you go about ten yards, break hard to the left". This isnt back yard football guys. A WR with no idea what they're doing will ruin the whole offense and is completely ineffective. Some of you need to get a clue. Theres PLENTY to bitch about, this isnt one of them. (just like the threads about it being Hawkins fault that Scott didnt start. Uhhh, he was injured. My God.)

Back