1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Defensive Ends...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by ScottyBuff, Mar 26, 2010.

?

Who should be the started defensive ends?

1. Marquez Herrod and Nick Kasa

63.8%
  2. Marquez Herrod and Forrest West

19.1%
  3. Conrad Obi and Nick Kasa

2.1%
  4. Conrad Obi and Forrest West

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nick Kasa and Forrest West

14.9%
  1. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Who do you think will/should be the starting defensive ends for us in 2010:

LDE: Marquez Herrod, Conrad Obi, or Nick Kasa

RDE: Nick Kasa or Forrest West

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Did Obi move back outside? I thought he was doing well at DT so far this spring. :confused:

3. ScottyBuff

Probably is, I think he fits better there (inside), but still listed Obi as a "should be" candidate for someone, and to give more choices.

4. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Kasa can't start, Hawk has to play some 6'1" 215lb walk on who brings his lunch bucket and has his horns out. Nick can play on the punt coverage team though until an "injury" shows up to keep him on the bench entirely.

Actually I think that we are going to see a lot of rotation at the DE spots. If healthy Kasa is going to be a force there. He has game changing ability and should force defenses to have to plan for him. West is a raw talent who could become our best pass rushing DE in thepast few years, he has an explosive first step and is strong enough and gets leverage to beat guys once they are off balance from the first step. Herrod has the ability to develop into the anchor guy, not as spectacular as the other two but one of those players who takes care of his assignments and you don't have to worry about.

Obi may spend some time as an inside/outside situational guy playin DE in some jumbo packages on short yardage, etc. I still think we need to develop a solid fourth full-time DE for the rotation but don't have any idea who it will be. I hope they don't pull the RSs on Poston or Uzo-Diribe.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  5. ScottyBuff

I could see Uzo-Diribe redshirting this year and then playing the same role as Forrest West (sometimes stands up, sometimes hands down; but always rushing the passer). Poston I think will follow the Curtis Cunningham path (except that he should redshirt hopefully) and bulk up from 250 pounds to play D-Tackle (at least that is my hope). With Kasa, West, Poston, Uzo-Diribe all being underclassmen this season along with Pericak and Bonsu we have a good core of talent. Not much depth, but some good talent. The 2011 recruiting class needs to bring in 3 or 4 "big boys" for the D-line's future, that is for certain.

6. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I couldn't vote in this poll...there was no walk-on candidate....

7. Buffnik

I could see Mobley playing as a true frosh if they move him to DE. I could also see Nobriga moving to DE and making some noise there.

8. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I picked Herrod and West for now. Definitely want West and Kasa starting in coming years. I think we will have plenty of guys that make plays from the end position this year so whoever starts wont be the end all be all imo. Really like West, I think he is gonna be a good one if he stays healthy.

9. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Went with Kasa and West, for now. Marquez had a good year and is definitely solid. I like him better in 1-2 down situations with Kasa coming in on passing situations. By the end of the season I think we'll see Kasa, West and Herrod all playing large, substantial portions. When Marquez graduates this year it'd be nice to have a "backup" that has 50+ snaps.

10. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Herrod is solid and played well last year. I think West might start but Kasa is right there. Obi has been very quiet at CU and don't know if he's playing dt or de. Looks like we have 3 solid guys, need to find another guy. Hopefully we don't have to play freshman.

11. ScottyBuff

Josh Hartigan looks to be the 4th guy at DE. He had the next most plays last year, and I could see him being the #2 man behind Forrest West on one side, with Herrod and Kasa on the other. Kasa could be moved around depending upon the situation.

For the record, I think Herrod was our best overall D-lineman last season and was a very underrated player for us.

12. Buffnik

Taking the whole year into consideration, I agree with you. But Pericak was our best DL by the end and he'll be a force as a Soph this year.

13. ScottyBuff

And I agree with you on Pericak. I think he will make big strides to be more consistent this season and take that next step in his growth at tackle.

Any idea what his weight is up to yet this year? CU still lists him at 285, but I thought I saw someone state he looked 10-15 pounds bigger.

14. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Hartigan is too small as a regular de, in pass situations he could help but not big enough to take on blockers.

15. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Yep. I really like our starters at DL and the mix of guys we will have for depth at DT. But DE depth is pretty thin after the first few guys. I also think we still lack a consistent pass rusher from the DE spot, but we shall see. None of the incoming freshmen are ready to play as true freshmen IMO.

Overall, the best group we have had at DL in a long time, provided we stay healthy at DE. We are going to rely on this group quite a bit because the LBs look completely average to me.

16. ScottyBuff

This is what makes me think that Mobley will be moved to DE (if he qualifies).

Definitely don't agree with you on the linebackers though, I think we have a two-deep set of backers that is really athletic and will be a good unit.