What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Starting QB?

Hansen did not do much last season when teams were ready for him.

I'm not saying Hansen played well enough last year by any stretch. I just find it amazing that Cody gets a free pass for 2008 because of the OL injuries and other things, but Hansen is graded much more harshly.

I'm not saying Hansen played well enough last year by any stretch. I just find it amazing that Cody gets a free pass for 2008 because of the OL injuries and other things, but Hansen is graded much more harshly.

I am just grading them off what I have seen. I have seen COdy do a lot more for the program than Hansen has. Yes I know Hansen is young and wasn't around in 07, but Cody has lead us to some good moments.

Hansen on the other hand impressed me when he was put in unexpetedly. When other teams were ready for him, Cody looked like the better QB. I am not impressed with Hansens passing and decision making. Can he get better and will he be better than COdy? Probably, but as for right now, I think Hansen is behind Cody as far as what they bring.

Hansen needs to see more PT...
If you want to start Cody, I'm okay with that. But let's see Hansen get more chances. The flexibility he brings to the offense is very appealing.

Hansen did not do much last season when teams were ready for him.

True. TH had to deal with a pretty steep learning curve going from scout team to first team as a true frosh, even CH got a RS year. To be the man TH would have to improve a lot. But he showed some althleticism and arm strength last year CH just doesn't have. CH is still the starter though, for the reasons others have stated in this thread. I think he will do fine, but you cannot help but be intrigued by TH. It is the nature of the beast the back up QB is always going to be viewed as the savior when things go south, sometimes he is (See Zac Robinson at OSU) sometimes he isn't (See James Cox). I loved Cox and wanted to see him play more, it just wasn't in the cards...

Especially since Hansen was pulled off of scout team, didn't know the playbook well, and was told to run around and try to make some plays since we can't block anyone. But despite the growing pains, we did go 2-2 in the games he started compared to 3-5 for the rest of the schedule.

Hansen needs to see more PT...
If you want to start Cody, I'm okay with that. But let's see Hansen get more chances. The flexibility he brings to the offense is very appealing.

True. TH had to deal with a pretty steep learning curve going from scout team to first team as a true frosh, even CH got a RS year. To be the man TH would have to improve a lot. But he showed some althleticism and arm strength last year CH just doesn't have. CH is still the starter though, for the reasons others have stated in this thread. I think he will do fine, but you cannot help but be intrigued by TH. It is the nature of the beast the back up QB is always going to be viewed as the savior when things go south, sometimes he is (See Zac Robinson at OSU) sometimes he isn't (See James Cox). I loved Cox and wanted to see him play more, it just wasn't in the cards...

I agree with you two. I am looking forward to seeing Hansen learn and become a better passer, if he can then he will be sick!

I agree with you two. I am looking forward to seeing Hansen learn and become a better passer, if he can then he will be sick!

if cody starts this year and hansen takes it purely as a chance to learn more about the position, and not sulk (not saying he is the type to do so) he should be the man in 2010.

if cody starts this year and hansen takes it purely as a chance to learn more about the position, and not sulk (not saying he is the type to do so) he should be the man in 2010.

I could also see Cody having a decent start, then struggling in the meat of our schedule (WVU and UT), and then Hansen emerging as the permanent starter from there. I just have a funny feeling about that.

I could also see Cody having a decent start, then struggling in the meat of our schedule (WVU and UT), and then Hansen emerging as the permanent starter from there. I just have a funny feeling about that.

well, lets hope not. that means we are losing, and losing badly.

Honestly I do not care who starts or who plays during they year as long as that person steps up and gets the job done. We are all sitting here and debating this because neither of the QBs has done that. Until somebody does, there will be all sorts of arguments about which one to choose with the occasional call for Clark Evans to pull off his RS and put on his superman cape. With all due respect to CH and TH, please let one of them actually step up and remove all doubt about who should be the starter on this team.

<Insert comment about a lack of offensive line, running game, deep threat, TE, whatever here>

Honestly I do not care who starts or who plays during they year as long as that person steps up and gets the job done. We are all sitting here and debating this because neither of the QBs has done that. Until somebody does, there will be all sorts of arguments about which one to choose with the occasional call for Clark Evans to pull off his RS and put on his superman cape. With all due respect to CH and TH, please let one of them actually step up and remove all doubt about who should be the starter on this team.

<Insert comment about a lack of offensive line, running game, deep threat, TE, whatever here>

we will have no idea til hawk announces it. damn closed practices! erm ncaa!...erm Eileen?

we will have no idea til hawk announces it. damn closed practices! erm ncaa!...erm Eileen?

You're missing my point. I'd like to be in a situation where there is no question. Where one player is so clearly the leader that nobody wonders who the starter should be and nobody is waiting for Hawk to announce it.

Unfortunately, right now, I think it's a debate between players who still have a lot of question marks rather than two players who have shown they are incredibly qualified.

You're missing my point. I'd like to be in a situation where there is no question. Where one player is so clearly the leader that nobody wonders who the starter should be and nobody is waiting for Hawk to announce it.

Unfortunately, right now, I think it's a debate between players who still have a lot of question marks rather than two players who have shown they are incredibly qualified.

no i get it, im just scatter brained as **** today. and love blamestorming.

Cody is a great kid, well versed in the offense, accurate and a leader. He is just not, physically, a div 1 qb. Everyone outside of Colorado recognizes that.

Hansen has more upside. Give him the ball.

Because you know everyone outside of Colorado? I disagree - maybe he's not the best choice for a Big XII QB, but he'd be fine in a different conference.

What is he being graded more harshly on, one start last year? If he's being graded harshly, it's because of his happy feet.

:stupid: Plz yes. Hansen needs to calm down, and this program doesn't have the time left in it right now to go through his growing pains.

Exactly. I wish it weren't the case because the core nucleus of this team is sophomores and younger. Cody probably gives us the best chance to win now in 2009 and I'm okay with that. Assuming TH has been coming on and making this a closer race than in the spring, then I like his upside. Cody has some limitations that defenses have figured out, it appears. Then again, Kiesau could have a great effect on Cody. I reviewed the FSU game this week and he had some nice moments but in general, he was locked on his receiver, wound up on the delivery, and of course, had 2 sure TD's he overthrew (Moyd and Devanny).

TH may also have limitations, we haven't seen the finished product yet. He has good feet and arm strength, but MUST learn to be calm in the pocket and find the open man. This will take time. He's clearly got some escapability and athleticism and let's not forget what he was thrown into last year, with little preparation and little protection.

I'm hoping we have some early chances to get TH some reps so that we have a great 2nd option at QB. He needs some time to develop in game situations. I can't see him using his redshirt this year, but it remains an option.

Lastly, as I write this, I suspect this question was decided at Folsom tonight (if not last spring or last week). I wonder if the "closed practice" policy is less about schemes getting out and more about making sure that there isn't a QB controversy played out in the press and boards? It's muted us since we have no idea what is really happening.... I think this is a good thing for the team frankly. Forget nepotism though, too much riding on this decision and Kiesau will make the right pick imo.

Closed practices aside, I'd say the biggest thing keeping us from having a full-blown quarterback controversy among fans is that at this point it's damn hard to feel passionate about either of them.

Closed practices aside, I'd say the biggest thing keeping us from having a full-blown quarterback controversy among fans is that at this point it's damn hard to feel passionate about either of them.

Bingo. No one wants to say it, but what if neither guy is good enough?

I think both will be good enough if we get the O-Line playing like they are one of the better units in the conference, and we get some decent schemes and playcalling out of Kiesau, including in-game adjustments. None of us are looking for all-conference play at this juncture, we are looking for decent efficiency where the QB is not the focal point.

Kiesau can hopefully make mid-game adjustments better than Helfrich who flat out could not. Some of that was because the D was dictating thru our O-Line way too often, but still.....

Bingo. No one wants to say it, but what if neither guy is good enough?

This is why I really can't say right now who I want to see start. Last year, frankly, neither guy was good enough to get this team where we want to see it go this year (whether that's "10 and no" or the 8 win level many of us have said is reasonable). My honest feeling is that the person I want to see start is the one who has made the most progress from last season...

[FONT=Cambria, serif]Hansen said he got in "a couple" of series with the first offense Thursday and was more concerned with efficiency rather than which unit he was directing.

I'd say that would put Cody starting as the likely outcome. If they aren't even giving Hansen time with the 1s then he's probably out of it already. If he's not then why aren't they splitting snaps with the 1s?
[/FONT]

So, after reading the articles from Thursday's scrimmage, and assuming Cody gets the nod, could CU actually afford to redshirt Hansen? Sounds like he'd be for it, but...

Argument against: what if Cody struggles or gets hurt? Nothing against the three newbies but, "Now at quarterback for Colorado, Seth Lobato..." would be catastrophic.

Argument for: if Cody starts in 2009 and maintains that role throughout the season, he presumably would in 2010 as well. If Hansen doesn't redshirt, he would only have one year left.

Seriously, shut up. His post was clearly lighthearted and you still jump all over him. Stop picking fights in threads.

Especially since Hansen was pulled off of scout team, didn't know the playbook well, and was told to run around and try to make some plays since we can't block anyone. But despite the growing pains, we did go 2-2 in the games he started compared to 3-5 for the rest of the schedule.

Yeah, 4-4 for the last set would have a bit of a difference for our season for sure.

I doubt that we could get Cody to play all plays and redshirt Hansen, but until Cody plays bad, is it worth a try? If you do split time so as to get Hansen playing time and experience, I would hope that between our O and the CU D, maybe we could open up a few games with a good lead at some point and then play Hansen solidly, not the 'one play here' 'two plays here' type of rotation. And work with those two-- don't be breaking redshirts on two more guys this year if we don't have too.

Hansen has the physical tools I would like to have in our quarterback. If he can get the mental part of the game down, I still think he's our best option at QB. My preference would be to have him start against CSU and get his feet wet against some lower competition to get him prepared to go up against WVU, UT, OSU, etc later. Once he gets used to making decisions at game speed, I think he will be terrific.

All discussion of redshirting Hansen is absurd at this juncture. We need a backup quarterback. If Cody is the starter, and Hansen redshirts, then we're left with three freshmen vying for the #2 spot. That's a recipe for disaster. Just say no.

So, after reading the articles from Thursday's scrimmage, and assuming Cody gets the nod, could CU actually afford to redshirt Hansen? Sounds like he'd be for it, but...

Argument against: what if Cody struggles or gets hurt? Nothing against the three newbies but, "Now at quarterback for Colorado, Seth Lobato..." would be catastrophic.

Argument for: if Cody starts in 2009 and maintains that role throughout the season, he presumably would in 2010 as well. If Hansen doesn't redshirt, he would only have one year left.

Thankfully, you don't have to do anything to redshirt a guy. You just don't play him. So they can go with that plan and then pull the shirt if the need arises. Not a bad idea, actually, so long as Cody is the best QB right now. I believe he probably is, BTW.

I think the decision has been made. Hansen talked about possibly reshirting this year if CH is the starter in today's camera article (not a good idea and could be a whole other discussion). you don't say things like that if you are really battling for the job. It also sounds like cody is getting most of the reps with the first team.

Back