1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting QB

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by NYbuffDIEHARD, Sep 18, 2012.

1. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

Let me preface this by saying I was pleased in pre season when Webb was named the starter. I figured his experience in games would give us the best chance to win. After seeing the first 3 games I am surprised he is still starting. I have to admit I didn't watch much of the 2nd half at Fresno as I couldn't stomach it so not sure what Wood did, or how he looked but clearly neither of them did a damn thing. So what are people thinking here, should Wood get the nod?

2. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

At this point I really don't think it matters. None of our QBs can move the ball, either b/c they suck, because our line sucks, because our coaches suck or all of the above.

Either way we are staring at potentially allowing an opponent to get to the century mark and likely not ever breaking the 20 point barrier on offense even when our opponents put in their 5th stringers and fans who play a little flag football on the weekends.

3. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

We're hoping for additional eligibility for Bernard Jackson.

4. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

This is why I say ditch the no huddle, we need to slow the game down as much as possible. I would much rather get a delay of game penalty than another false start because we are rushing things.

5. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I thought Hirshman looked the best, personally. It wasn't a tough beauty contest to win, what with Webb and Wood both throwing Pick-6s and looking completely lost.

6. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

My preference would be for them to let Wood start the game, not come in when they're already down 21-0 after 5 minutes of play. He had good arm strength, but made weird decisions. Let him come in with the first 10-15 plays scripted and see what he can do. We know Webb isn't the answer, why does he keep getting chances to play when it matters and Wood/Hirsch come in when the game is over and the opponent doesn't have to respect anything the offense is doing?

7. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I think we know the answer to this.

8. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

Remember those couple of drives in the first half of the CSU game that actually had me excited for what may be ahead, we marched down and scored two td's consecutively. How did we do that? Well we called some simple WR screens and short pass plays designed to be completed for short gains, which they were. 4, 5 6 yard completions that kept us out of long yardage situations. It also opened up a few decent run plays and more importantly openened up longer pass plays that worked. I am no O coordinator but where did that play calling go?

It is win win! Plays like that, loosen up the defense, it gives our QB some confidence, it gets the ball out quick so our QB doesn't get killed with our lack of talent at O-line and it opens up the run game. It isn't rocket science, call some plays that will succeed early and give these guys some confidence and by all means give the defense some time to rest with a few sustained drives.

9. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

I think they tried that with the one or more of the following results on every play: wr drops ball, qb throws uncatchable ball, qb gets sacked, qb throws int, rb gets stuck behind line of scrimmage,

10. MINN-Buffalo

MINN-Buffalo Member

I like wood better ,but that's just me.

11. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

NTTAWWT:thumbsup:

aik likes this.
  12. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

Embree's said that he'll keep the same rotation - all three, perhaps. What's that ancient proverb?

"When teams have two QBs, that means they don't have one. When they have three, it means they don't have a coach."

13. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Don't forget to add that CSU might be the worst team we play. They are better than us but so is Sacramento State. **** I can't believe we lost to another FCS school at home. I might be in the denial stage still.

14. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

According to the DP this morning, JE is going to rotate the QB's again! :bang:

15. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Unbelievable. We have seen Webb. He isn't the answer. Wood and Hirsch have cannons for arms. They look tentaitve and make questionable throws (this comment applies mainly to Wood since Hirsch threw the ball a grand total of 3 times). We know the Jr. cannot be the guy, maybe one of the sophs can. Give them tons of game time reps with a view towards settling on one and moving forward. The season is shot, you might as well use this as time to see whether you have somebody, or you should use the sping to get Dillon ready.

16. EddieCrowder

EddieCrowder Club Member Club Member

if the old saying is "Playing 2 QB's means you dont have a QB" what does playing 3 mean ? Connor Wood had not taken a live snap in almost 3 years, and he played as well as Webb with his 20 starts. This should be a 2 horse race, and Webb should not even be in the discussion. JE is making decisions like a man that thinks he will be fired and needs to grasp at straws. If he really believed he was safe, he would put one of the kids in and let him have a game, he fails, get the next one ready for next week. This would be the drill all the way down to Schrock, and Doorman.
    Leach hates CU we have consistently harrassed his wide spread OL and kicked ***** on his qb's, if he get the chance, he will throttle us like UH with David Klingler

17. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Gotta see what you have for the future at this point. I would recommend as much ball control as possible. Run the ball, short passes and the occasional long one to try and keep them honest. Easier throws and reads to get the new QBs some confidence. We need to keep posession as much as possible to minimize the damage from opponents offense. Sounds good on paper, but since we probably can't execute this plan, I don't know what to recommend. Nonetheless, a little experience for Wood, Hirsh, Schrock, Dorman (whoever), can't possibly hurt at this point.

18. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I think that this is where Hawk and Embree are causing a large part of their problems. The try to get "cute" with their offenses without ever establishing an offensive identity. Embree wants a smashmouth west coast offense, but then decides to implement a hurry up strategy when he has zero returning skill position players from last year, and a starting qb that had been in camp for 3 weeks. Smart coaching is playing conservatively, while building up your players and playbook through experience and success.

19. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

My first post didnt show for some reason, Id go with Wood from the get go. He needs live reps, of course he looked shaky, got thrown in already down and felt pressure to get it all back every throw. Id live and die with him, never gonna see what u got when u rotate. Webb weve already seen.

20. BIGEZ321

BIGEZ321 Active Member

Buffs would be 2-1 if we had a decent QB. Since we don't, the buffs should be running 80% of the time. Give Hirshman or Dorman the start, at this point, it doesn't matter.

21. VCBuff

VCBuff Active Member

vs Washington St. last Friday, Nick Sherry went 33 of 49 for 351 with 3 TD's/1int.

22. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

In a joke of a season, why not rotate all three.

23. BIGEZ321

BIGEZ321 Active Member

How about rotating all 5 QB's, it would be kinda of like the Rockies rotation!!!

24. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Absolutely, Each has his own play. It would be a little more predictable than now, but maybe the execution would go up.

25. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

Of course, the oh-so-skillful offensive line would be put under 3 times the pressure.

26. DenverBuff77

DenverBuff77 Member

Time to see what we've got in Stevie and Schrock can do. I just hope that whatever they do, they don't take the redshirt off Dillon(He's almost healthy). That would kill his confidence and he would most likely get hurt. It's INSANE that we're starting Webb again. He's easily one of the worst QBs in Div-I.

27. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

Just run the wildcat the whole game. "Powell up the middle.." "Sweep right with Powell the ball carrier..." "And on third down it looks like the ball is going to Powell again..."

28. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

I want to see Shrock

29. RalphieSpeaks

RalphieSpeaks Club Member Club Member

Why not?

I would like to see Wood given 2-3 games where he is guy and gets all the practice reps and just see what happens. If he fails give another guy a shot.

30. wip

wip Club Member Club Member

I thought I read that Shrock has mono.