What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Starting to hear a very strange rumor about Coach Mac

I love the idea. I t sure would bring back some excitement from the fan base.

I would be okay with MAC if he brought in some great assistants, like he had back in the early 90s

I loved Coach Mac. I admired Pastor Mac for his commitment, if not all of his ideas. But I'm really not excited about him being Coach Mac again.

Those of you who really remember his coaching might remember that he was, to be kind, not the greatest game day coach. Is that going to be better 20 years later? I don't think so... And I guess I'm a little skeptical that he suddenly wants to return to coaching. 16 years and he's shown no desire to do that. His ministry was definitely his top priority. Now, at 70, he suddenly wants to coach again? I'd have to hear that from him, I guess...

On the plus side, he definitely knows how to bring fire to a program. He could bring back some of that black and gold pride people have talked about wanting from a Bieniemy as head coach. But if the weakness of the old buffs is in ever having been responsible for game planning, play calling, etc. - well, that was Mac's weakness in a lot of ways too. And in recruiting, his name isn't going to mean much to 17 year old kids. If he gets in the door, I think he's probably got the stuff to light a fire in kids and their parents. But he's also got a lot of years of speaking to Promise Keepers that leaves some statements that will get used against him. Statements that can be taken as anti-woman that moms are going to hear a lot. Kids are going to get told that he's such a bible thumper that if they ever have any fun he's going to run them off.

I don't know. I guess I just don't see retreating to 1990 as the solution to our problems, whether that means bringing back Mac or going out and hiring Embree or Bieniemy. We need a guy who can build a program in 2011. Mac was that guy in 1985. Maybe he still is, but it's a pretty big gamble, to me...

The thing with Mac is that we pretty much know what he brings to the table. He's won here before. Can he do it again? Why not? I think recruiting could be a challenge with kids knowing that he won't be the head coach for the entire time they're there, BUT, the chance to play for a guy who won a national championship has got to be appealing, even if only for a couple years.

Again, if they're going to go down this road, they need to DO IT NOW. No waiting around. Just pull the trigger. If you wait another year to do it, Mac is a year older and whatever assistants are available now might not be then. Get on with it.

There have been plenty of discussions on who could replace hawk. I would just like to see us step up and pay a big name coach (whoever?) the best coach we could afford I guess I should say. I don't want to reach again and hope we get someone to make a difference.

Just make coach Mac an assistant head coach. Hell you could also make him the team Chaplain since Hawk ousted our last one. He might really like this with his promise keepers back ground and he could still hit the recruiting trail and advise EB or Embree. This way you get Mac with limited liability and EB/Embree or whoever still calls the shots and the kids know the Head Coach isn't going to leave.

Mac still has it. Anybody who disagrees has not seen him speak recently. The guy makes me want to go run someone over every time I hear him speak!

There have been plenty of discussions on who could replace hawk. I would just like to see us step up and pay a big name coach (whoever?) the best coach we could afford I guess I should say. I don't want to reach again and hope we get someone to make a difference.

CU can afford to pay someone about $1.5 million dollars. Tops.

That's not going to attract any "big name" coach.

My head is spinning, are we serious here?? Is this really a possibility?

I hate the idea, no offense to Mac, but a lot has happened in 16 years. Hell the internet wasn't really around 16 years ago - is Mac going to text recruits and friend them on facebook? This just sems wierd.

When KSU brought Snyder back, that seemed like a deperation move and he was only gone 3 years.

By all means give him an AD post, but head coach?? I'm leery.

I'm calling it right now if they decide to do it, they will hire Embree or EB as HC and add coach Mac as the team Chaplain. Would be perfect.

I hate the idea, no offense to Mac, but a lot has happened in 16 years. Hell the internet wasn't really around 16 years ago - is Mac going to text recruits and friend them on facebook? This just sems wierd.

When KSU brought Snyder back, that seemed like a deperation move and he was only gone 3 years.

Do you think Joe Paterno does much texting / facebooking? Or do you think he leaves those sorts of things up to the experts (i.e. his assistant coaches)?

CU can afford to pay someone about $1.5 million dollars. Tops.

That's not going to attract any "big name" coach.

I think in a few years we will be able to afford more than that to a coach, add in our new location and we will be a very attractive job IMO. However, big name coaches don't pan out at Colorado.

I think in a few years we will be able to afford more than that to a coach, add in our new location and we will be a very attractive job IMO. However, big name coaches don't pan out at Colorado.

I agree.

Colorado just isn't a place where "big name" coaches want to go. They pay like crap (assistants included). The attendance sucks. The fans are fickle. The media trashes the University non-stop. The academic standards are impossible to deal with. I could go on and on and on. This isn't Oklahoma or Nebraska or Texas or Wisconsin or Michigan or anything of the sort.

Colorado's last three coaches have been: Neuheisel - an assistant coach before coming to CU; Barnett - head coach at Northwestern and long-time CU assistant; and Dan Hawkins, head coach at BSU.

CU's best shot at getting someone who could be considered a "big name" would be to go out and hire the offensive / defensive coordinator from OU or Texas or Miami or USC or something like that.

I think it's possible that 4 or 5 years from now CU might have more money to pay a coach, might have better attendance, might have better fan reception, etc. I think the move to the Pac-10 is going to help in a lot of those respects. But not immediately. Not for 4 or 5 years.

I'm calling it right now if they decide to do it, they will hire Embree or EB as HC and add coach Mac as the team Chaplain. Would be perfect.

Umm... yeah. I certainly don't want someone with the religious baggage Mac has anywhere near CU as a chaplain.

They make him the Chaplain, if kids have problems they can come to him if not then no big deal. All the while he is mentoring EB and Embree behind the scenes. Would be less baggage than making him the face of the program.

I agree.

Colorado just isn't a place where "big name" coaches want to go. They pay like crap (assistants included). The attendance sucks. The fans are fickle. The media trashes the University non-stop. The academic standards are impossible to deal with. I could go on and on and on. This isn't Oklahoma or Nebraska or Texas or Wisconsin or Michigan or anything of the sort.

Colorado's last three coaches have been: Neuheisel - an assistant coach before coming to CU; Barnett - head coach at Northwestern and long-time CU assistant; and Dan Hawkins, head coach at BSU.

CU's best shot at getting someone who could be considered a "big name" would be to go out and hire the offensive / defensive coordinator from OU or Texas or Miami or USC or something like that.

I think it's possible that 4 or 5 years from now CU might have more money to pay a coach, might have better attendance, might have better fan reception, etc. I think the move to the Pac-10 is going to help in a lot of those respects. But not immediately. Not for 4 or 5 years.

I agree with everything except the attendence. If you are comparing with Nebraska, then yes we can't match that, but I have always laughed when people say CU doesn't have good crowds. I have been to about 80% of all home games since 1984 and Folsom is usually pretty close to full, just not always sold out. It is nothing like KSU in the 80's, CSU's little high school stadium that they cant even get half full sometimes or even Oklahoma at times in the 90's.

The bigger attendance problem we've had is people arriving late and leaving early.

Last edited:
Do you think Joe Paterno does much texting / facebooking? Or do you think he leaves those sorts of things up to the experts (i.e. his assistant coaches)?

I get that, I was just trying to illustrate that a lot has happened since 1994, and to think we could just pick up where we left off in the 90s is ridiculous.

Does he know how to defend the spread? Does he have recruiting contacts at the HS level? Will any HS players have any idea who he is?

The last time Mac coached Nancy Kerrigan was getting clubbed, OJ killed people, Kurt Cobain died, Pluto was still a planet, and I had a beeper.

Is this for real?

this x 1000000

Geez, I dont know what to say. I remember how I couldnt believe it when he left, now this? Im with you guys, is this real? I will say let's not start a damn holy war, lol jk.

Yeah, God forbid the team chaplain actually be, you know, religious....

I could be mistaken, but the chaplain can't recruit or coach so why would this even be necessary? If he's already "around" the program there's no need to make him chaplain. If you want him to coach, make him a coach, but the idea that a team chaplain is somehow going to groom the next HC just seems wierd to me.

Do it now. Let him bring in a staff and then turn it over to the top assistant in 2-3 years. There is absolutely nothing to lose right now. What's the record over the past 4 years? How can it get worse?
Do it now while whatshisname is on a road trip to Oregon. Don't wait. There is a lot to gain and nothing to lose.

Mac is the closest thing to a 'big name' that would be possible. Look at his resume: 1 MNC, 3 Conference championships, recruited a heisman trophy winner, two Thorpe winners, a Ray Guy winner and two outland trophy winners. And, what's probably most important - he turned around a program that had hit rock bottom.

Those are the plusses. The minuses are that he's 70 years old and has been out of coaching for 16 years.

At first, I thought the idea sounded crazy. The more I think it over, the more I think it would work if the right assistants could be brought in.

SD has this same rumor on Rivals now, but from a different source.

Mac wants to get back into coaching.

My thought is that if he wants to be the CEO of the program, has the budget to hire a tremendous staff for the Xs and Os work, and can bring in someone like Jon Embree to be the Assistant Head Coach (in-waiting HC) to handle the administrative stuff... then I think this would be an actual home run hire.

Mac is the best we could find for increasing donations, increasing media exposure, motivating the team, guiding the personal development of the players in the program, and building the relationships with high school coaches and prospect parents that are the key to recruiting. Basically, he needs to be Colorado's JoePa and he's 14 years younger (and always has been at least as energetic). If this can happen, then it needs to happen.

:yeahthat:

You know he would bring in great assistants. That was always his MO and I would not expect that to change. I am sure his old connections could connect him with some great assistants as well as his ability to reach back to guys who played for him.

I would be a supporter and also agree - if there was ANY possibility of this being true - do it now.

Mac still has the ability to inspire and I would love to see what he could do. I have no doubt tht his presence with parents would still work and he could get the kids to believe in the program to commit.

Wow, this is a surprise. Not sure what to think of it though. I'm not a big fan of the coach in waiting so I'm lukewarm to this idea. Mac has been gone for 16 years too.

You know he would bring in great assistants. That was always his MO and I would not expect that to change.

I hope he could. OTOH, he would be there for a couple years and his assistants would only be on one year contracts. How many great assistants would leave the jobs they have now for that situation? They'd have to be completely sure the new HC in waiting would keep them, and be able to accept that they wouldn't be getting the job...

Back