What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Starting to hear a very strange rumor about Coach Mac

If he can still get it done and get CU back in the national discussion for football reasons instead of scandals, im all for it.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 3 conference championships?? That was 2 conferences ago.

Maybe this is a great idea, but I just can't get past the fact that he hasn't coached in 16 damn years.

If Hawk was even a .500 coach, would we even consider this? If no, then this is the ultimate desperation move. Sometimes desperation pays off, but I just don't know.

If he can still get it done and get CU back in the national discussion for football reasons instead of scandals, im all for it.

Obviously Luke, but the question is whether or not he could "still get it done". The other questions is...is this real or what?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 3 conference championships?? That was 2 conferences ago.

Maybe this is a great idea, but I just can't get past the fact that he hasn't coached in 16 damn years.

If Hawk was even a .500 coach, would we even consider this? If no, then this is the ultimate desperation move. Sometimes desperation pays off, but I just don't know.

Keeping Hawk around another year hoping he can turn it around sounds more desperate than bringing back Mac. Just sayin .

one thing about Mac and play calling. i honestly doubt that JoPa and Bowden were calling plays the last few years. they were more of a figure head. gave input in strateegery and pep talks. had thier thumb on the overall operation but not the details.

and now that i think about it, Mac did let go of calling the plays at one point. i cant remember the exact year or how long it lasted but....

anyway, i would imagine that Mac would be like a BB or JoPa. just has his tumb over the program but, the details are run by EB and Jon Embree with guidance from Mac.

i also dont buy it being a problem with recruits with it being a temp job. he is there to provide the guidance as the replacement for him is groomed. that recruit will know who his coach will be. also, from everything that i have read on the man the last few years, he still has his fire and can bring a room to its feet. that matters in recruiting.

as far as his jesus stuff, it'll probably piss a bunch of boulder hippies off but, lets be honest here. they dont like the football program anyway so, who ****ing cares. hopefully, Mac has learned to keep his thoughts on this stuff seperate from coaching this time.

if this is the plan, fine. im good with it. i have seen worse. it has worked at other places. they just need to make sure that all the details are worked out before they pull the trigger.

Take the counter of your issues. We have a team that's been stuck between suck and swallow for 4 years. Our recruiting is not in the top 50 teams in the country. Our fan base is disillusioned and quickly pulling their support. What the **** will it hurt? The guy is a master motivator, big alumni and former players (and their parents) love him, he was one of the top DCs at one of the top teams in the country before coming here, he attracts the best of the best in assistants and he was known as a top flight recruiter. Granted that was 16 years ago, but again, what is worse than the last 4 years?

Keeping Hawk around another year hoping he can turn it around sounds more desperate than bringing back Mac. Just sayin .

Sure, but are those our only two options?? Either Hawk is your coach, or you move on a do a real search.

And to 4Dem's point, this idea that somehow Mac as a figure head coach a-la JoPa and Bowden can work doesn't make sense to me. Those guys weren't turning a program around as a figurehead, they were trying to keep successful programs going with world class assistants.

This is way harder than what they had to do, and I'm not ready to call EB and Embree world class college assitants just yet.

Sure, but are those our only two options?? Either Hawk is your coach, or you move on a do a real search.

And to 4Dem's point, this idea that somehow Mac as a figure head coach a-la JoPa and Bowden can work doesn't make sense to me. Those guys weren't turning a program around as a figurehead, they were trying to keep successful programs going with world class assistants.

This is way harder than what they had to do, and I'm not ready to call EB and Embree world class college assitants just yet.

I rather us go hire a good Pac 10 assistant that's ready for a head job or EB than bring in Mac. But all 3 options are better than Talkins

i have mixed feelings.

the thing with Coach Mac is that he's been completely put on a pedestal in the years since he retired. he's not just an ex-coach. he's THE symbol of CU football success. but, time tends to gloss over some of the issues...

as some have noted, his outspoken views rankled many in the faculty--- that's one issue, not that i care one iota about that.

but, additionally, we all used to complain about some of his game day decisions. he tended to be very, very conservative in his approach. gb and other coordinators often bristled at that. but, the good news is that Mac really knew talent and he surrounded himself with a great staff and i think he'd do that again.

i do think he'd still recruit LIGHTS OUT. there are certain people in this world who just have a charisma about them--- in the coaching ranks, i'd put Mac right there with wooden and bear in terms of their ability to be inspirational and get you to buy into their vision. but, he wouldn't get the flexibility now with WHO he recruits that he got back in the day. that's an issue too.

i don't want to see his legacy tarnished--- i am not saying for sure it would be--- i think there is at least an even chance that this could work out spectacularly. but, i do wonder at this point how coach mcartney the man will be compared to COACH MAC THE LEGEND.

i know i'd be fired up if it happens but also a bit worried...

if this gets the right staff in place, builds the right culture, and sets the table for a long run of success then do it, of course.

well, lets look at PSU.....

2000Joe Paterno5–7 4–4 T–6th

2001Joe Paterno5–6 4–4 T–4th

2002Joe Paterno9–4 5–3 4thL 9–13 Capital One1516

2003Joe Paterno3–9 1–7 T–9th

2004Joe Paterno4–7 2–6 9th

with the exception of '02, those were pretty bad seasons over 5 years. they had to turn around that program. true, not to the extent that CU has to but, i dont think its too far off base.

Last edited:
Tell you what Id take 9-4 or even 5-6 compared to the crap we have been seeing. Hawk is still here, it's put or shut up time and he knows it.

I wish the talk about 'protecting Mac's legacy' would stop. It's his legacy and none of our concern or business.

well, lets look at PSU.....

2000Joe Paterno5–7 4–4 T–6th

2001Joe Paterno5–6 4–4 T–4th

2002Joe Paterno9–4 5–3 4thL 9–13 Capital One1516

2003Joe Paterno3–9 1–7 T–9th

2004Joe Paterno4–7 2–6 9th

with the exception of '02, those were pretty bad seasons over 5 years. they had to turn around that program. true, not to the extent that CU has to but, i dont think its too far off base.

JoPa was the coach the whole time, he didn't leave for 16 years and come back to clean up someone else's mess, that's a big difference. He also wasn't coming back from a 16-33 run, a recruiting scandal, and recruiting classes ranking in the 60s.

You also took the worst stretch in JoePa's entire career. He's been great the past 5 years and was great before the stretch highlighted. That stretch doesn't correlate to anything with Mac (current age, time off from coaching, year that PSU joined the Big Ten, nothing). Total hatchet job picking his worst years. The only point it makes is that even legendary coaches can go through a slump.

I don't think it's a good idea. Not as a head coach, anyways. It's been too long since he's been on the sidelines, too much has changed.

As far as putting him head of a committee...well, damn, I don't know how much I like that idea either, seeing how much he's supported Hawkins.

He's our legend, but I just don't think it's a bright idea.

I don't think it's a good idea. Not as a head coach, anyways. It's been too long since he's been on the sidelines, too much has changed.

As far as putting him head of a committee...well, damn, I don't know how much I like that idea either, seeing how much he's supported Hawkins.

He's our legend, but I just don't think it's a bright idea.

Do you really think he's a fan of what Hawk is doing? He's not going to say publicly that Hawkins is not meeting expectations, thats not wise, nor is it his style.

JoPa was the coach the whole time, he didn't leave for 16 years and come back to clean up someone else's mess, that's a big difference. He also wasn't coming back from a 16-33 run, a recruiting scandal, and recruiting classes ranking in the 60s.

i understand that and i agree. that being said, dont think that jopa's head was not bing called for around happy valley during those years as well. he did have to deal with a good number of off the field issues with his players too.

You also took the worst stretch in JoePa's entire career. He's been great the past 5 years and was great before the stretch highlighted. That stretch doesn't correlate to anything with Mac (current age, time off from coaching, year that PSU joined the Big Ten, nothing). Total hatchet job picking his worst years. The only point it makes is that even legendary coaches can go through a slump.

his last 5 years....

2004Joe Paterno 4–7 2–6 9th

2005Joe Paterno 11–1 7–1 T–1st W 26–23 Orange †33

2006Joe Paterno 9–4 5–3T–4th W 20–10 Outback2524

2007Joe Paterno 9–4 4–4T–5th W 24–17 Alamo25

2008Joe Paterno11–2 7–1 T–1stL 24–38 Rose †88

2009Joe Paterno11–2 6-2 T–2ndW 19-17 Capital One89

look in conference... 2-6, 7-1, 5-3, 4-4, 7-1, 6-2.

even over the last 5 years, they have not been that good in conference games. where it matters. but, he still keeps the program relevant.

i dont see this being a reason for discounting Mac.

Do you really think he's a fan of what Hawk is doing? He's not going to say publicly that Hawkins is not meeting expectations, thats not wise, nor is it his style.

This sure sounds like supporting Dan Hawkins as being our coach: “I still believe he’s laid the right foundation, and with a foundation of sound character, hard work and principles, it’s just a matter of time. In construction there’s a principle: The higher the building, the deeper you dig the foundation. What’s the foundation look like? He’s getting good kids who stay the course. It will end up being something significant."

There is no doubt in my mind that Mac thinks Hawk is a complete and total failure. And, Mac is probably ripped apart by how far this program has fallen. I am certain he wants to help. He should be an advisor to the AD. But put him back on the sideline? No way...

Use Mac as a high-priced consultant, and get a good, young coach to Boulder...

There is no doubt in my mind that Mac thinks Hawk is a complete and total failure. And, Mac is probably ripped apart by how far this program has fallen. I am certain he wants to help. He should be an advisor to the AD. But put him back on the sideline? No way...

Use Mac as a high-priced consultant, and get a good, young coach to Boulder...

:stupid:

"Special assistant to the AD", with responsibilities of overseeing the football program, sounds great to me. Let him meet recruits when they come to town. Let him address the team. The HC would need to be secure enough to deal with Mac being in the mix, but I really don't think we want somebody who isn't...

:stupid:

"Special assistant to the AD", with responsibilities of overseeing the football program, sounds great to me. Let him meet recruits when they come to town. Let him address the team. The HC would need to be secure enough to deal with Mac being in the mix, but I really don't think we want somebody who isn't...

:stupid::yeahthat:

Not sure how my comment is stupid...unless you are a dumb-ass as well. Are we not in agreement?

Too much has changed? What the **** are you guys talking about? It's not like the forward ****ing pass was invented over the past 16 years. The football being played today is nearly identical to what it was when he left. And, as Alabama showed last season, a ****ing stout defense and a solid running game wins. A ****ing LOT. Don't forget that David Klingler at Houston and Ty Detmer at BYU (both played around the time MAc coached, if not during -- too lazy to look up Klingler) were slinging the ball around just as much, if not more, than today's ****tastic spread offenses. Coach Mac is an inspirational presence wherever he is. This team, this school, and this fanbase ****ing NEEDS something to be happy about. And hoping hawkins doesn't win enough to keep himself around isn't it. I don't know if bringing back Mac on the sidelines IS it, but goddamn if I wouldn't be ****ing jazzed about seeing him motivate the team & help get us back on our feet. HIS teams would be playing lights out every ****ing down - which is a far cry from what we've seen over the past 4 years of ****ty football.

:stupid::yeahthat:

Not sure how my comment is stupid...unless you are a dumb-ass as well. Are we not in agreement?

We are in concurrment. The "I'm with stupid" is just funnin' with you a little bit. :smile2:

I'm sure others will be glad to weigh in on whether or not I'm a dumbass.... :lol:

We are in concurrment. The "I'm with stupid" is just funnin' with you a little bit. :smile2:

I'm sure others will be glad to weigh in on whether or not I'm a dumbass.... :lol:

Well, my ass is much dumber than yours'.....

Too much has changed? What the **** are you guys talking about? It's not like the forward ****ing pass was invented over the past 16 years. The football being played today is nearly identical to what it was when he left. And, as Alabama showed last season, a ****ing stout defense and a solid running game wins. A ****ing LOT. Don't forget that David Klingler at Houston and Ty Detmer at BYU (both played around the time MAc coached, if not during -- too lazy to look up Klingler) were slinging the ball around just as much, if not more, than today's ****tastic spread offenses. Coach Mac is an inspirational presence wherever he is. This team, this school, and this fanbase ****ing NEEDS something to be happy about. And hoping hawkins doesn't win enough to keep himself around isn't it. I don't know if bringing back Mac on the sidelines IS it, but goddamn if I wouldn't be ****ing jazzed about seeing him motivate the team & help get us back on our feet. HIS teams would be playing lights out every ****ing down - which is a far cry from what we've seen over the past 4 years of ****ty football.
Im not worried about what he knows at all, football is football. He just seems like an all in or all out type of man to me. Im wondering if he would want to do the job full go even if its only a few years. I mean recruiting, media, the whole nine yards. I guess if this does happen, we will get our answer to that.

Back