1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stat I'm sure Tad is very happy about

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

This was in the Bilas Index today:

Colorado rebounds 74 percent of opponents' missed shots, which is tops in the Pac-12 and seventh in the nation.

Buffs are getting it done on the defensive glass this year. Mostly a function of being a good rebounding team, but also a function of being a good transition team. A number of our opponents have wisely chosen to forget about trying to get offensive rebounds (not gonna get much there anyway) and make sure to get back on defense. Anyway, this was great to see. Great job by the team to be where it is on the glass 1 year post-Dre... and pretty exciting to think about all of the rebounders returning for 2014-15.

2. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

can someone explain the difference between "rebounding opponents missed shots" and "defensive rebounds" (is the difference missed FT's)?

Edit: I'm not an ESPNinsider. if you can explain without violating ToS great, if not I understand.

defensive rebounds here. CU listed as 22 in the nation.

3. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

i think it might mean that opponents also tend to make a lot of shots against us. Also, speed of the game, etc

4. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Not when you consider rebounding margin (almost 7 pg; ranked 13th nationally). If the RBs are out there, somebody has to get 'em.

Besides, FG % defense is decent (43% vs. percentage CU makes at 44%)....now if the opponents were shooting near 50%, I might agree with you a little, but there's still that pesky margin, irrespective of made shots.

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

You're looking at total rebounds. That's effected by pace and possessions as well as shooting percentage.

The stat I quoted was about the % of opponent misses rebounded.