What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

State of the Big 12 - feedback please...

@valdez...

no one is saying CU can't win in the b12. the issue, again, isn't about short term wins and losses. you have to define what you mean by "successful." if you mean "still a major program, among the 'haves' and drawing elite tv revenue"... well... i guess you're going to have lay out for me how those numbers work. ... because they don't... unless the b12 somehow finds a way to add a couple new tv markets. and, if any of the big market teams leave, it is going to be catastrophically bad for those left behind.

If we wait until Mizzou or someone else to move first it will be a mistake.
I don't think Mizzou will leave. The B10 wants a bigger market. They'll look out east for a better option. I really believe all these rumors of teams looking elsewhere is a bunch of posturing. These teams are looking for the B12 to kiss their asses a little bit. Same with Colorado.

It just seems to me that the Pac 10 brass is just as inept as the B12 (Okay maybe not that much). Their failure to secure a big TV contract is almost inexcusable imo. Even with the current 10 teams. LA alone should be able to get a good deal done.

I also don't see how this will be a magic pill that will inspire all of our alums back. Our fan base is notoriously fickle. I just don't see it. I'm not trying to be a downer, or tell you that your wrong. I just don't see how the pac 10 is going to save our hides.

The Pac 10's former commish was more inept than the B12 brass. But he is gone now and they will definitely be getting a better TV deal present, whether or not they go to 12.

It's not a magic pill but it will definitely help with the fans. Fickle or not, CU will be in their faces and on their TVs on a fairly regular basis whereas this is not the case for West Coast alums at present.

CU doesn't have to move to the pac 10 to be successful. And I still believe we can win in the Big 12.

This isn't just necessarily about wins and losses, its about what is best for the program. The Big 12 is set up to benefit UT and OU, they hold all the power and have all the leverage, as is evidenced by the current revenue sharing system. In the long run, programs like CU get hurt, while UT especially continues to line its pockets and just get richer and richer. People claim CU lacks money to build the facilities necessary to compete or to pay for a top notch coaching staff... guess what, alot of that has to do with program revenue, and when you are receiving nowhere near the share you would if revenue were split equally like it is in the SEC, it gets to be a problem. The rich get richer and hold the other programs down. UT is a conference killer and is doing what is best for UT, while the rest of the conference struggles to keep up. Sure CU could win in the Big 12, but when you look at the long term, would it be best for the program to stay in the Big 12, or go to another BCS conference where there is much more money to be had?

I don't think Mizzou will leave. The B10 wants a bigger market. They'll look out east for a better option. I really believe all these rumors of teams looking elsewhere is a bunch of posturing. These teams are looking for the B12 to kiss their asses a little bit. Same with Colorado.

Respectfully disagree. This seems a lot different than the rumors that have floated around the last couple years. I think this one is for real.

We know this: The Pac 10 has stated that they're looking into expansion. They haven't mentioned which schools they want to add, but logic dictates that CU is at the top of that list.

We also know this: CU has more alumni in California than any other state besides Colorado. There will be tremendous pressure from those alumni to make this move. And I wouldn't blame them. If I lived out there, I'd be putting pressure on CU to make the move as well.

Finally, we know this: The Big 12 is run by UT. What UT wants, UT gets. UT is the conference killer. They're like the Silver Surfer of college programs. They come to a place and destruction follows in their path. CU will likely be second fiddle in the Pac 10 just as it is in the Big 12. The difference is that we'd be a lot wealthier for our troubles.

I've never been very impressed with our Cali alumni base. No disrespect, we're all Buff fans here, but they talk a good game and that's about it. When it's time to come up to the plate and deliver, all you hear are crickets. So to use our Cali alum base as a big reason for us to make the move doesn't make me feel very comfortable about the whole situation.

yeah, us west coast alums really suck. there were only about 15 thousand of us at the ucla game.

:rollseyes:

oh, and the idea is to increase alumni participation... if you find another non-state of colorado base of alumni larger than california, do let me know. we'll instantly upgrade our away game attendance. and, i would think that being in the p10 will increase donations from a segment of alums who tend to be highly educated and high earners. yep, that would suck, too.

It's a double edged sword, though. If you go to the Pac 10, you better re-commit to the athletic department. Those California alumns are isolated from the sucktitude of CU sports right now. If they have to be constantly reminded of it because we're going out there and getting bitch slapped 2-3 times a year, the windfall of alumni donations will dry up and blow away.

It's a double edged sword, though. If you go to the Pac 10, you better re-commit to the athletic department. Those California alumns are isolated from the sucktitude of CU sports right now. If they have to be constantly reminded of it because we're going out there and getting bitch slapped 2-3 times a year, the windfall of alumni donations will dry up and blow away.

oh how i wish i were "isolated from the suckitude of CU sports right now."

:rofl:

We also know this: CU has more alumni in California than any other state besides Colorado. There will be tremendous pressure from those alumni to make this move. And I wouldn't blame them. If I lived out there, I'd be putting pressure on CU to make the move as well.

Finally, we know this: The Big 12 is run by UT. What UT wants, UT gets. UT is the conference killer. They're like the Silver Surfer of college programs. They come to a place and destruction follows in their path. CU will likely be second fiddle in the Pac 10 just as it is in the Big 12. The difference is that we'd be a lot wealthier for our troubles.

I was thinking about your post today. Wouldn't USC and Oregon become the new UT? They've got an incredible amount of cash, not as much as UT, to spend on their programs. I understand that this is not quite at UT's level, but nonetheless...

I guess I also ruffled some feathers on my cali alumni comment. But what kind of sway would they have on our AD when they've been MIA from the program? I understand that there are some super smart alums in Cali, who support the program. It just always seemed to me that it's mostly a bunch of talk. The Cali boosters could singlehandedly turn our program around. I believe that. Yet they're not stepping up. Even to buy out Hawkins' contract. I believe a AZ booster fronted that cash(supposedly).

I like this quote:

“We have not called the Pac-10 or the Big Ten, and they have not called us. We're focused on being a good member of the Big 12 conference.”

Translation: "Look, we can't say anything for another three months, but the Pac-10 is begging us and we're tired of the Big 12 ignoring the North teams, so we're on our way out in time for 2011."

I like this quote:

“We have not called the Pac-10 or the Big Ten, and they have not called us. We're focused on being a good member of the Big 12 conference.”

Strange that he would mention "not talking" to the Big Ten.

Not that we need any other rampant speculation here but that is either a bad slip or a wierd question that was asked by a reporter.

I'm sure the reporter asked a question mentioning both, as in "There's been rampant speculation that the Big Ten and Pac-10 will expand in the near future. What are your thoughts on that and Colorado possibly being a candidate? Then Bohn just mentioned both to cover bases.

Another statement from Bohn during that press conference:

While the Big Ten and Pac-10 have been the two conferences expansion speculation has centered on, Bohn said "to be honest with you, the Big 12 is talking about where do we expand, where do we look for opportunities as these things come together?"

Maybe the Big 12 will fire a pre-emptive first strike?

BYU, Utah, TCU, or New Mexico seem like the only real viable options (with an outside shot at Memphis). I can't see the Big 12 in any position to "steal" a neighboring BCS conference program.

Another statement from Bohn during that press conference:

Maybe the Big 12 will fire a pre-emptive first strike?

BYU, Utah, TCU, or New Mexico seem like the only real viable options (with an outside shot at Memphis). I can't see the Big 12 in any position to "steal" a neighboring BCS conference program.

I doubt it, but the only way to make it work would be to add BYU and Utah. That would mean a Big XIV Conference, which would totally undercut the Pac-10 to ever expand again, honestly. In that situation, I'd grab CSU and UNM in case Mizzou runs off so the league has spare parts already.

If you want to be isolated from CU sports just move to the east coast. Most people don't even know who CU is here. :cry:

Same with Dallas. CU is a complete, ****ing non-entity....even with us being on TV a bunch....

That surprises me. I would think that CU would at least be on the radar with Dallas being in the heart of Big XII country.

Except for the fact that Texas is its own country. There's pretty much Texas and non-Texas. Possible exceptions may be Arkansas and Oklahoma, which they see as vassal states. :smile2:

That surprises me. I would think that CU would at least be on the radar with Dallas being in the heart of Big XII country.

You are either a Horn, Aggie, Sooner, Horn Frog (recent phenomenon...most people would not admit it until recently), Red Raider, Cowboy (OSU), or Bear (they do not admit it...). All others (including Buffs) are worthless piles of cow manure..

I remember hangin' out getting hammered my junior year when one of my buddies brought up the idea of starting the "Give Texas back to Mexico" campaign. Like another few of his ideas, this one seems to be getting better and better with age.

I don't remember that at all. But that's a pretty common them for that year of school for me.

Back