1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Statues

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by RK, Apr 19, 2011.

?

Add statues on campus?

1. Yes! I like my men hard as steel.

23.9%
  2. No. Statues are ugly.

26.1%
  3. **** no!

28.3%
  4. **** you!

21.7%
  1. RK

RK UBL Club Member

Today on CJ & Klatt they were talking about how Schools are putting up statues Auburn($cam newton) Alabama(Nick satan) and they were debating if CU should have a statue for Coach mac or somebody else or at least a street named after him.
    What do you guys think?

2. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

[​IMG]

dply likes this.
  3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Coach Mac is the only one that would deserve one but that'd be a great tribute for Mac.

4. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Boulder + statues? meh. Street named after Mac would be kewl.

5. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Cam Newton? Really? That's a little much.

6. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

They should rename a building for him. How about the Bill McCartney Women's Studies Center? Or maybe the Bill McCartney Gender Dysphoria Laboratory? Just kidding. Love Coach Mac, I think they should rename a street for him.

7. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

If Auburn puts a statue of Cam ****ing Newton, I will seriously roll on the ground and laugh my ass off (not just the smiley, but people don't really do). I will laugh and make fun at that school for life for it!

Cam Newton played one year there and in 5 years he will have no Heisman and Auburn will have no 2010 national championship. If anybody, they should put a statue of the greatest athlete of all time, Bo Jackson!

8. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Statues are for places with nothing else to look at. we have things to look at.

[​IMG]

9. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

I think statues should be reserved for honoring and remembering people only after they have passed away. If you want to remember the greatness of Mac, there's probably dozens of times throughout the year to see him speak or catch him at a HS football game.

Plus if you wait until after the person being honored is dead, you can avoid any potential controversy and embarassment of having to take it down in the event this living person goes on to become a criminal or religious whacko. Imagine if your high school had a Lawrence Taylor statue in front of the gym right now, that would be a mess to deal with.

10. Unleash Hell

We should put a Rae Carruth statue right next to Frank Shorter, both runners!:thumbsup:

11. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

no statues

12. Unleash Hell

13. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

No way dude...can't risk an opposing school's fan's dog urinating on those things...just wait until Uga does that to the new Nick Saban staute.

14. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Only if we get the guy who did the Texas statues to do one of Coach Mac. I'd prefer the golfer.

15. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Cam Newton won the Heisman trophy - that's probably why he is getting a statue. The University of Oklahoma has a "Heisman park" for their trophy winners (They have not yet done a statue for Sam Bradford). I actually think it is kindof cool -- but it makes more sense when there are multiple statutes.

[​IMG]

It would be sort of cool to get a Rashaan Salaam statue - a pose of him running for the TD against Iowa State, for example.

16. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I'm a 10 time intramural champion do I get a statue? If not then I say no to statues.

17. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Would they be as nice as the UT statues?

[​IMG]

18. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

those UT things are weird. seriously. UT won the NC in 1970 with an all white team. i'm just saying. weird. Texas=Texas.

those OU statues are goofy. why aren't Billy Sims and Steve Owens wearing a helmet? but Billy Vessels is?

i will say Billy Sims was the single best RB i've ever seen in person. he was a freak. speed, power. he was wasted in the wishbone. line him up in the I and give him 30 carries a game....forget Barry Sanders.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  19. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

**** no.

some athletic statues are ok, but they need to be earned. Really earned. Like one every fifty years earned.

20. Unleash Hell

But Cams will be taken away, 5 years tops!

21. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

I agree.. A statue is not a commemorative stamp that the post office issues. It would be a permanant fixture, the face of the athletic deparatment.

22. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Yes we could use a statue...we have enough good history for it.

No, it should not be Coach Mac.

Byron Whizzer White is one of the greatest football players we've had, as well as one of our greatest alums. He deserves a statue, and that is it in my opinion.

The Oklahoma thing is cool...but in three years, putting up a statue of Salaam and P Richardson really isn't that great - need more than that.

23. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

I like dyemeduke's idea re a Whizzer statue. IMO, statues should be like postage stamps and depict dead people only. If you must make a statue of a living athlete, then he should have done something that transcended his sport. Michael Jordan? Okay, I guess. Cam Newton? Ehhhh...

The Pat Tillman statue at University of Phoenix Stadium (below) is awesome. I'm surprised ASU doesn't have a Pat Tillman statue up, but maybe it's in the works. As much as I knock ASU, it does a pretty good job of remembering his legacy.
    pat-tillman.jpg

24. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

is tillman's head on fire?

25. buff190

buff190 Club Member Club Member

I said no but I just thought of a scenario that might be cool. The criteria must be rigid and exceptional but make statues for exceptional CU grads (not just athletes) Everyone is so proud of the Academics at CU. Why not pick a spot or create a new one where you can commemorate both. I would put one up for Whizzer now, Mac and Salaam (eventually), Nobel prize winners and others that meet whatever standard is set. I do agree that a statue should only be put up after the person has passed or is late in years.

26. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

27. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Auburn would have gotten off cheaper if it were just a statue.....

28. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

This. The person needs to be truly legendary. Syracuse just recently put up a statue of Ernie Davis a few years ago.

29. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

I agree, the person should be transcendent/legendary. Whizzer White was an All-American, in the running for the Hesiman, but more than all that, he became a Supreme Court Justice. In my opinion, he is our greatest alum, and he definitely meets the criteria of being once-in-a-lifetime type of person.

30. RK

RK UBL Club Member

Apparently there is a Whizzer statue in the club level. I've been up there and don't think I remember seeing it, but CJ mentioned it.