1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam: Has it gone evil?

Discussion in 'Games' started by dio, Apr 24, 2015.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Steam has slowly been chipping away at their good reputation, but this week they might have gone over the cliff. Modders can now charge for their mods on the Steam workshop.

For those of you who use mods in your games.... what's your opinion? My opinion is that this will be a giant cluster.

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Kind of surprised at the outrage about it... although I was surprised at Steam's cut.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I don't see what the big deal is. Steam offers something of value here. Why shouldn't they and those who do the programming work earn some money from it?

4. dio

Because of the nature of mods. it is hard to explain - but mods are traditionally buggy, with sometimes gamebreaking bugs appearing at random spots within a game. You also have lots of mods that are bundleded together with interdependencies. You already have rampant copying of content from free users to charging users. There is no regulation of the transactions from Steam's end. It also raises interesting questions on if modders are legally allowed to benefit from creations they make for IPs that are not their own.

I'm ok with modders getting some cash, but it should be in the form of a 'Donate' or 'Tip Charge' style. Modding has never been a money making endeavor for anyone, it is (was) simply a hobby or resume builder.

5. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

I don't game, but it is amazing at how Steam has gone from the greatest thing ever to pure evil (according to Reddit threads) in just a couple of years.

6. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I'm torn on it. Some modders are right up there with the devs in terms of quality and what it brings to the game. Skyrim is completely out of control (awesome) with some mods, as there are some out there that have exceeded the wildest dreams of the original:

[video=youtube;tktMryae6R0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktMryae6R0[/video]

and, like dio said, others will break the game. Lots of other minor issues that will cause this to be a cluster, but if I were a modder, I'd be very happy.

7. dio

Here is one of the modders who was part of this pilot on Steam....

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/...eriment_has_failed_my_exit_from_the/?sort=top

8. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Looks like after I finish FO3 again I may need to start Skyrim again.

But no, you shouldn't have to pay for mods, especially when they have the potential to crash the game everytime you try and open it.

9. dio

Here is a summary of my list of complaints with the pay-for-mod model

Stole from a commentator on Ars

10. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

[video=youtube;NMZaYuXGYSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMZaYuXGYSI[/video]

11. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

12. dio

That's good. I still think Steam has gone a bit evil, and I don't have the respect for the company I used to.

13. Matt

Matt Nerd Drone Pilot Club Member

My favorite comment I saw on the subject was "Steam turned into EA overnight, that is quite the achievement"