1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steambox?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Matt, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Matt

Matt Nerd Drone Pilot Club Member

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

I have heard a few people say it is a dumb idea and they can't compete with Sony and Microsoft. I have to agree with Game Informer's opinion

Also 80% of most PC games are just ****ty console ports anyways. I have a handful of PC games that I use an xbox controller with. With all console basically running the same hardware it is going to get easier for companies to port games to different consoles. Unless you are Nintendo...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ent-that-the-steam-universe-is-expanding.aspx

2. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I would be very interested, except for the strange war that Gabe is waging against Microsoft. It is a non-starter for me if it is Linux based. The only way it works is if I can access my existing 75 games.

3. Matt

I have to agree, if I can access my current library i would be very interested mysefl. I think Gabe just hates Windows 8, with Microsoft track record Windows 9 should be good. Maybe Gabe will call off the war then. Also dio you are slacking at 75 games. :lol:

4. dio

Ha!

I think Gabe has done a great job of framing his argument as some sort of glorious battle for freedom... when the reality is that he is just threatened by the Windows Store that is on Windows 8, and he's trying to protect his own closed system.

I was just guessing about 75... I actually have 106, which depresses me to consider :lol:

5. dio

Sounds like they're going to let you stream games from your PC to the SteamOS, which is Linux based.

I don't know, sounds fine I guess, but I'm skeptical. It would be nice for some games to have the power of my PC (Skyrim on the big screen!) - but most of my PC games (strategy games) still aren't really suited for the living room.

6. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

intriguing. bring on the competition!

7. Matt

• In-home Streaming - Stream games from your existing desktop and stream those games over your home network to your TV via a SteamOS machine.

• Music, TV, Movies - "We’re working with many of the media services you know and love... allowing you to access your favorite music and video with Steam and SteamOS."
    • Family Sharing - This was already announced and described here, but it allows you to share your games and allow individual achievements and game progress for games.

• Family Options - Additional control over what titles get seen by whom - sounds like standard parental controls.

This is pretty interesting to me. It sounds like it is probably going to have Netflix and Hulu and I hope Amazon Prime for video. Probably standard Pandora/Spotify on the music side. I am a but curious how they are going to stream the games and controls. Since the game will run on the desktop that should handle performance well and reduce the cost of the Steambox. I am just guessing here though. PC skyrim with all the awesome PC mods on the big screen? Count me in.... If they price this right I may have another box next to the PS4.

I am looking forward to the next two days. Some believe Gabe and steam are worth 1.5 Billion, they have the money to pull something like this off. The popularity of steam will give them leverge with publishers one would think.

Big thread on reddit about it. http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1mywoh/steamos_announced_day_1_of_3_official_discussion/

Official site http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

8. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

This sounds pretty cool. I wish I had time for gaming.

9. dio

10. Darth Snow

very curious where they are going with all this.

11. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Cleveland. and it is going to be called the Cleveland Steamerbox

dply likes this.
  12. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

and possibly more important for some of you guys
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4762374/steam-box-hardware-spec

13. dio

Depending on the quality of streaming, I would invest in a $100 machine.

14. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Holland. They are going to call it the Dutch Oven.

15. dio

16. Darth Snow

17. Matt

Two things about the controller caught my attention.

• Shared Configurations - "Legacy mode" allows the controller to function as a keyboard and mouse. A configuration tool can be used to bind all functions, and configs can be shared via the steam community.
    • Openness - The controller is designed to be hackable. "We plan to make tools available that will enable users to participate in all aspects of the experience, from industrial design to electrical engineering."

I am very impressed how open valve is being with both the software and the hardware. I have no doubt all the hackers out there are going to come out with some really cool ****.

18. dio

I guess I will need to play with one before I pass judgement... but to me it looks terrible. Doesn't effectively replace the best in class Xbox 360 controller for third person and console FPS games. Doesn't effectively replace the KB&M for PC FPS games or strategy games. I'm very skeptical of the touch pads.

19. Matt

Wonder of people were skeptical going from d pads to analog sticks. No one has really tried to change the controller in many years. It may suck it may not, time will tell. I personally hope it works better than current dual analog.

20. dio

You would be murdering Microsoft if this had an Xbox logo on it :lol:

21. Darth Snow

I honestly don't know what to think of the controller. Could be revolutionary, could be awful. Steam is doing something new. I applaud it, but all I can think of right now is... "dunno"

22. Matt

Super Meat Boy creator got to play on this weird looking controller.

http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller

23. dio

[video=youtube;eeAjkbNq4xI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAjkbNq4xI[/video]

Demo of controller. Doesn't look like a huge improvement to me. Effective in the FPS and I assume third person genres, but not sure if it is way MORE effective than the current gen or next gen Sony/MS controllers.

The Civilization 5 demo of it looked awful.... about as awful as playing those games on a traditional controller has been in the past. I expected more, but watching him nonchalantly trying to get the cursor over the buttons was making me angry.

24. Darth Snow

I liked it cause it looks like a great way to play computer mouse/keyboard games from my couch.

25. Matt

We really will not know until we can try it. Though Steam must win an award for most ugly controller in years or ever. Oh and I did read that valve 3D printed those controller. I want a bad ass 3D printer. The demo the only thing that looked promising was when he was playing Counter Strike.

26. dio

Valve did a super short announcement yesterday. 13 new Steam Machines. They aren't cheap:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/07/valve-unveils-13-new-steam-machine-specs-and-prices-4252587/

Also, reading impressions of the controller is not encouraging.

27. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

I can't get rid of my high end main desktop computer in my home office, so this thing becomes duplicate until it can somehow do both with two keyboards, monitors, etc.

At $500, I could see buying in to play my high end desktop computer games and control it in my living room. At $1500, they are stoned - no way.

28. dio

Well, if you're going to stream with it, it should be much cheaper. $100 and I can stream from my high end desktop? Ok, interested.

$500 for lower end specs that probably can't run games at traditional console quality? And I don't have access to my windows library of games? No, no thank you.

And impressions of the controller are lukewarm