1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Alford gives back contract extension he had signed

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I thought this was pretty cool. No matter where it originated, it's a brilliant PR move to combat the pressure of banners flying on campus calling for Alford to be fired.

Alford, in a letter to Bruins fans and supporters, said he is returning the one-year contract extension he signed after the 2013-14 season.

"At the end of the day, year three was clearly not up to UCLA standards. My coaching staff and I fell short not only of our own expectations, but the expectations of [athletic director] Dan [Guerrero], the Chancellor and you, our fans," Alford said in the letter. "As a coaching staff, we intend to earn that extension back."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...eve-alford-says-given-back-one-year-extension

2. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

Not sure I've heard of this happening before. Yes, a brilliant move.

3. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

I'd agree save the fact its at UCLA - their vocal digital contingent thinks he should have resigned and left town. This to them is him jsut publically admiting he ****ed up and is unqualified.

ex: https://twitter.com/BruinNation

buffgal likes this.
  4. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

I've seen the tweets that he should resign.

5. ZandiBuff

ZandiBuff Well-Known Member

Could also be a great move on his part if he takes his big recruiting class from this year and goes on a tear next year. Then, instead of 1 yr @ 2 million, he gets 3 years @ 2.5. <- Example #s, I have no idea what his actual contract is

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

That, too. Based on recruiting and what other programs are losing, it looks like the Pac-12 is going to be UCLA and UA at the top next year. With USC in that mix if Boatwright decides to return. (I'm not including how good I think CU's going to be since I just wanted to make the point that I agree with you and think UCLA will be back in a big way next season.)

7. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Problem is anything less than conference title and sweet-16 is a failure to their fans who still think wooden is there

8. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

Another Peter Principle guy. Could have built a solid long-term program at New Mexico.