What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Steve Mariucci?

JRK1212

Troll
He is a "big name" who would create instant program credibility to both recruits and the fan base. Spent 8 years as an NFL head coach (Lions and 49ERS) and went to the playoffs 4 of those years. Prior to that he was a college head coach at Cal in the mid 90's. Overall he has 13 years of experience coaching at the college level so its not like he is exclusively an "NFL guy". Seven of those years he was at a Pac 10 school (Cal and USC). He is 55 which is not terribly old and currently lives in california. He is a very good "X ,O's" coach and his resumé and name recognition would be a huge asset in recruiting. The guy spent 7 years coaching Brett Favre and Steve Young. Im sure any elite HS QB would love to play for him. The coaching contacts he has made over the years should enable him to hire a good staff. There is no negative stigma associated with his name and having watched him as an analyst on TV he seems like a pretty likable and down to earth guy. I think he would be interested in the job. Having been out of the game for a couple years he is probably ready to coach again and its not like he is going to land another head NFL job. I know that he has been a candidate for the head job at UCLA and USC in the past couple of years. In terms of money $2 million may not seem like enough for a name of his stature but i guarantee you its a whole lot more then he is making as a part time analyst for NFL Network. Thoughts?

I dont think he is in play at all, on this one I actually have a some perspective. I wouldn't mind having Mooch come here at all, he's a west coast guy, had success with both the Niners and Cal, but he is very very happy in his spot right now. Every year he gets a few feelers and every year he turns them down. Just dont see him leaving the booth.

I actually like Mariucci and think his style is great for the college game and he has Pac 10 experience. Probably not going to happen as I haven't even heard internet rumors about him as a possible candidate, but I like Mooch.

Hell no, another underachiever that would jump back into the NFL given the chance.

Hell no, another underachiever that would jump back into the NFL given the chance.

Anyone CU could hire would jump to the NFL if they were offered a head coaching job there. Regardless, I don't understand why people have a problem with a candidate who would use this job as a stepping stone. If whoever is hired does a good enough job that an NFL team or a big college program wants them then everyone here should be thrilled. Also, a "family" hire doesn't guarantee the person would stick around (see EB and UCLA).

Not sure I'd call him an underachiever - he did more with the Lions than anyone has, especially considering Matt Millen was running the team. He coached Jeff Garcia into the pro bowl and the 49ers have been crap since he left. If he jumped back into the NFL it means he's doing something good here, so I don't see that as a negative. Still probably not happening, but he's a better candidate than most IMO.

He is a "big name" who would create instant program credibility to both recruits and the fan base. Spent 8 years as an NFL head coach (Lions and 49ERS) and went to the playoffs 4 of those years. Prior to that he was a college head coach at Cal in the mid 90's. Overall he has 13 years of experience coaching at the college level so its not like he is exclusively an "NFL guy". Seven of those years he was at a Pac 10 school (Cal and USC). He is 55 which is not terribly old and currently lives in california. He is a very good "X ,O's" coach and his resumé and name recognition would be a huge asset in recruiting. The guy spent 7 years coaching Brett Favre and Steve Young. Im sure any elite HS QB would love to play for him. The coaching contacts he has made over the years should enable him to hire a good staff. There is no negative stigma associated with his name and having watched him as an analyst on TV he seems like a pretty likable and down to earth guy. I think he would be interested in the job. Having been out of the game for a couple years he is probably ready to coach again and its not like he is going to land another head NFL job. I know that he has been a candidate for the head job at UCLA and USC in the past couple of years. In terms of money $2 million may not seem like enough for a name of his stature but i guarantee you its a whole lot more then he is making as a part time analyst for NFL Network. Thoughts?

Rep sent. The man can coach and he helped get Cal going before Tedford took them to another level. Suppose he does the same thing in Boulder and hands it off to a capable coach, it would be well worth it.

I love Mariucci, but the idea that he did anything at all at Cal is not true. He was their head coach for exactly one year, 1996, and went 6-6 before he took over for Seifert at SF. Whatever Tedford has done at Cal since he got there in 2002, I'm pretty sure Mariucci's tenure 6 seasons before didn't have much to do with it.

But he really did a great job with the 49ers. People forget this, but the middle of his tenure was when the 49ers completely rebuilt the team from the wreckage of the Super Bowl teams into a completely new nucleus. Bill Walsh came out of retirement to run the personnel dept., which obviously helped, but Mariucci got them back to playoff caliber pretty quickly. It took the Steelers 10 years to really bounce back from their Super Bowl teams getting old.

Pretty sure Mariucci wouldn't have much interest in coaching college ball at all now, let alone at CU. Not sure he'd want to coach at all, he seems pretty happy being a TV guy.

I have always liked the idea of Mariucci (or Nolan or Mora Jr.). A nationally-known NFL guy with strong ties to the west coast would make a very strong hire at CU.

Worked for USC with Pete Carroll. And Pete hadn't worked on a college campus for almost 20 years. I think he'd been at Pacific of some ****.

Back