1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steven Montez born into football

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffsrock85, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Buffsrock85

Buffsrock85 Well-Known Member

MtnBuff, sockdolager, 14er and 2 others like this.
  2. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

Way to go Montez!

Buffsrock85 and TDforTD like this.
  3. TDforTD

TDforTD Banned BANNED Club Member

Molded by it.

Buffsrock85 likes this.
  4. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Hehe

I used to be a huge University of Texas fan and was excited for Steven to get an official visit from the Longhorn’s coaches. I got an email from them confirming they would be coming by the school to look at Steven. We waited and they never showed up. It was at that moment, that I lost interest with Texas as a program. I was upset after they said they would come and didn’t. If anyone would have called and said "We’re not interested," that would be fine. As a coach you never go back on your word.

In this coaching fraternity your word is the only thing you have besides your reputation. College coaches make their living off of high school kids. That’s just a fact. Normally, coaches are great with the kids and take them to that next level. When coaches don’t show up, that’s not good business. And Steven was worth seeing and meeting in person. Oklahoma State came by three times, Tennessee came by twice, UTEP, Air Force, Stanford, North Texas, UTSA, Rice— They all came by a couple times.

After Steven committed, coach Jeffcoat shook my hand and looked me in my eyes with a promise that he would look after him like his own son. The University of Colorado will always have a place in my heart after that. I knew there was something special about Coach Mac and his staff. No big empty promises or overselling. Mac was very honest and upfront about the state of the program along with the plan for the future.

5. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Good article throughout.

The highlighted part shows why M2 and staff have a chance to be successful for a long time here. El Paso isn't a place where a lot of talent comes out of but it has the occasional player. The chances of this particular HS having another kid soon that we really want isn't great but if they do between Steven and his coach we have the inside track. As importantly these HS coaches all know each other and while they compete on the field they tend to rely on each other a lot off the field.

It would be pretty normal should CU show up on the campus of any of the El Paso area high schools looking at a kid for that HS coach to give a call to Coach Parales to find out what he thinks of the CU staff. Treating these guys and their kids well makes a big difference.

MiamiBuffs likes this.