What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stewart Mandel removed from CU's Christmas Card list

Hawk didn't build squat at boise. Just pointing out that outside of colorado, people aren't going ga-ga over the embree hire.

I agree with syko and others who have said that Mandel's views aren't unrealistic. I enjoy Mandel's writing on SI and think he gives very well thought out reasons for his grades and predictions. As somebody else pointed out, he's also the first to admit that his predictions aren't worth anything and often wrong.

Many people here believe that CU could have pulled Miles from LSU if it weren't for the money, so Mandel saying we're cash strapped is true. Did we hire on the cheap? Maybe. I can't take issue with the grade. Embree and the rest of the coaching staff need to prove themselves, both in recruiting and coaching.

Hiring a coach is an inexact science so it is difficult to see who is a good fit or not. Remember the press has an agenda also even if they do not recognize it sometimes. When Neuheisel and Hawkins were hired they all slobbered all over themselves because they are media darlings with the quick quip and the supposedly out-of-the-box approach. Embree is more of a throwback which is less interesting to the press.

Mandel loved Hawkins but totally ignored that he only had 5 years of Div 1 experience and zero BCS experience plus his recruiting was an unknown. I would argue that Embree has a much better experience base than Hawkins or a lot of other candidates out there.

Embree was not at the top of my candidate list but he was not at the bottom either.

Here is what I see as his strengths:

• Known as a very good recruiter.
  • Knows the importance of recruiting.
  • Has mentored under other successful coaches (Mac, Barnett, Shanahan)
  • Knows Southern Cal recruiting.
  • Understands the CU culture and benefits.
SM fails to mention that experience of the rest of the staff while pointing to McGhee as inexperienced. I have been very impressed with the staff so far.

Hiring a coach is an inexact science so it is difficult to see who is a good fit or not. Remember the press has an agenda also even if they do not recognize it sometimes. When Neuheisel and Hawkins were hired they all slobbered all over themselves because they are media darlings with the quick quip and the supposedly out-of-the-box approach. Embree is more of a throwback which is less interesting to the press.

Mandel loved Hawkins but totally ignored that he only had 5 years of Div 1 experience and zero BCS experience plus his recruiting was an unknown. I would argue that Embree has a much better experience base than Hawkins or a lot of other candidates out there.

Embree was not at the top of my candidate list but he was not at the bottom either.

Here is what I see as his strengths:

• Known as a very good recruiter.
  • Knows the importance of recruiting.
  • Has mentored under other successful coaches (Mac, Barnett, Shanahan)
  • Knows Southern Cal recruiting.
  • Understands the CU culture and benefits.
SM fails to mention that experience of the rest of the staff while pointing to McGhee as inexperienced. I have been very impressed with the staff so far.

I agree, the rewst of the staff has much experience other than mcghee and he mentioned nothing of it.

Mandel is a better writer than an analyst. I would take his predictions and grades with a grain of salt. He cannot predict recruiting success, he cannot predict how players will respond to a coach, and he certainly cannot predict coaching hires accurately.

When he spends time to actually research a subject he does a great job. But not even he can "research" the future, but he has deadlines and assignments so it is easy to spew opinions. Nobody, not even CU fans, expects us to have a winning record next season with the schedule we have so it is easy to pile on the negativity. Embree and EB's success will be all the sweeter when it comes.

I think my biggest problem with the D grade is that is seems like an attack. A C grade or an incomplete grade seems like it would be fitting. I'm not expecting an A or a B but the D just feels like a dig.

I could care less what a talking head says. Embree has my full support, and the fanbase seems excited with him. From his opening press conference to his coaching staff assembly, I have only become more impressed by the hire so far. From here it is no more of a crapshoot then Richrod and now Hoke at Michigan.

I could care less what a talking head says. Embree has my full support, and the fanbase seems excited with him. From his opening press conference to his coaching staff assembly, I have only become more impressed by the hire so far. From here it is no more of a crapshoot then Richrod and now Hoke at Michigan.

I think you hit on a point that SM gives too little creedence to. This hire needed to bring Buff Nation back together. And with the move to the Pac-12, we have a once in a generation chance to make a fresh start. In the end, we all want to win. And like any program who changes coaches, whoever was chosen couldn't be fairly judged on that for at least a couple of years. However, this staff, especially Embo and EB, bring our fan base together in a way few other options could have. Eventually, they will be judged by wins and losses, as they should. But I'm with others that see this grade as unduly harsh. I think INC is much more approriate, but if I had to give it a grade, I'd be much more inclined to chose something higher than a D.

Considering that most of the residents of Buffville were falling all over themselves for the imminent hire of Mac, and then EB last fall it seems fair that a national writer would not have ranked the hire of Embree highly. CU traded inexperience and low cost for a man they know will be dedicated to the program, and one who could bring an unusually strong cast along with him for this situation. Not to mention that there was a serious gulf growing between the alumni fan base and the program; which his hire would seem to have repaired in the short term.

If this staff recruits as well as we hope they are, this is just another chip they can place on the shoulders of a new generation of Buffs. I have a feeling that this staff will embrace any and all of these types of reports as fuel for their fires to prove the world wrong!

Back