1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stolen from reddit - Is your team relevant to Dick Vitale? (Flowchart)

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Bone Buff, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Dick Vitale is a festering boil on MBB TV broadcasting...can't stand the guy. I have never enjoyed listening to someone who sounds like he's having some sort of spasmodic attack 24/7.

3. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

Didn't his daughter graduate from CU? Saw him last night on TV; been broadcasting for 35 years, says the 'haters' inspire him

4. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Having Dick Vitale call one of your games is a huge deal. He is ESPN's basketball version of Lee Corso. That doesn't make him a great color guy, but he is on ESPN's A team. He comes when gameday does. I am hoping Dick Vitale calls a CU basketball game at the end of February.

5. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Don't know why, but I'm numb to Vitale. His schtick is annoying at times, and I don't understand the yelling, but at least he genuinely loves the game. I'm tired of announcers that sound bored and/or put out to be covering the games they do (this mostly applies to pro teams).

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I like Vitale because of the passion he brings.

At the end of the day, people bitch about and become annoyed with announcers like Chris Berman, John Madden and Dick Vitale who deliver a lot of schtick. But sports broadcasting is much better with those guys than without them.

7. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

Vitale has had good things to say about Colorado since Boyle took over...in large part because of his friendship with Tom Abatemarco

8. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I believe he has two daughters and both of them played tennis at Notre Dame. He goes to many Notre Dame home football games and is clearly a fan.

People are always going to "hate" those people. I do think he has an affinity to Duke, I don't think he "roots" for them however. Sort of what Jimmy Dykes was accused of for Kansas. He thinks higher of them because they are a premier program especially when you compare it to Colorado. People make way too much of this stuff IMO.

9. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Plus he's been to Colorado atleast two times in the past 3-4 years. I think he has family out here. And he's had some business engagements.

10. SECOBuffsFan

Jimmy Dykes was good and had lots of spot on things to say in the broadcast Saturday. He is definitely a pro Kentucky guy since he coached there

11. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Agree with that, when you are around for as long as they are, you are bound to piss people off and grow tired of them.

12. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I'm a big Miles Simon fan, he's as fan-friendly as they come on Twitter. But there's no doubt in my mind his loyalty is to UofA. That said, he's had lots of good things to say about CU (and other P-12 schools).

13. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I agree with a lot of this. He is annoying and tends to focus on a certain circle of teams but he does love the game and bring a passion. He also does know a lot more about the game than a lot of the guys who are there to do color.

The problem with him comes when he lets the schtick you mention get in the way of calling the game. It seems like he sometimes believes that he has to give a certain amount of the "VITALE" show, justified or not.

14. SECOBuffsFan

Simon understands that a strong Pac 12 is good for Arizona

15. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Yeah not a fan of the "outrage." Although when CU was left out of the Tourney, that was nice a consolation prize for Dickie V to be vouching for us.

I'd rather have Dickie V than someone there just for the paycheck.

16. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Yeah plus it's great to have a guy who loves Pac-12 basketball(and other west coast based programs). Even when he's not doing CU games, I'll shoot him a question on Twitter about an upcoming CU game and I'd say about 80% of the time, he responds with genuine follow-up rather than a simple yes or no.

17. SECOBuffsFan

Bottom line is that Vitale loves the game of basketball and in particular college basketball.....I can appreciate him for that and take the good with the bad (His Duke obsession). I would pick a game with him broadcasting over Bob Knight any day of the week and twice on Sunday

18. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

First time (or one time that stands out), I noticed that was when he was doing the first LeBron game. I think it was against Oak Hill? And he didn't talk about the game much, but only about LeBron and how he'd do at the next level. But that's what many people probably wanted to hear anyways.

And if he came to Boulder, that be huge. I know he's been here over the summer as I said above. But I know he doesn't travel as much as used to in-season and many of the Gameday games west of the Mississippi have ended up being called by Bilas (who i like, but it doesn't signal it's a BIG game like Vitale).

19. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I actually like Bob Knight, I think he breaks down the X's and O's very well.

20. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I think broadcasting sports games is a lot harder than people realize -- being able to entertain a mass audience for 2-3:30 hours.

21. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

So by the flow chart we are relevant.

22. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Dickie V didn't just vouch for us. He stopped just short of calling for an investigation into the workings of the selection committee. He was on fire.

I got no problems with Dick Vitale. Dude makes college basketball fun.

23. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Not speaking about us, but the transitive property argument gets dangerous. I love at the end of the cfb season when they do who lost to who, and you discover that the national champion is some 3-9 FCS team.

24. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

This. I don't mind him, and would actually love it if he did a CU game.

25. Scotch

That and Bilas openly wondering on the ESPN selection show if the "Selection Committee even knows the ball is round."

26. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Even though I like Bilas, I do question if many just blindly agree with what he says because he's not "afraid" to challenge the NCAA.

27. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

That was funny.

What was funnier to me is that after ESPN spent all that time bitching about RPI and developing its own "BPI" formula, it came out pretty much the same anyway.

Frankly, the NCAA selection is pretty easy to guess in terms of the Bubble.

1. Insert your automatic qualifiers.
    2. See how many slots are left.
    3. Go down the RPI ranks of every school that isn't automatically in already.
    4. Insert the teams with the best RPIs.

Other than 1-3 surprise picks every year, that's your NCAA tourney field.

Seeding is another matter, though.

Where I agree with Bilas is that when looking at Bubble teams, there isn't a lick of difference between a team with RPI 50 and a team with RPI 60. So the committee should put the most weight with those last several selections on who a team has shown it can beat. Credit quality wins over quality losses. Reward quality wins over penalizing bad losses. You want the teams that have shown they can win tournament games. Everyone's capable of losing a tourney game. But not everyone is capable of winning one.

28. Scotch

I'm not much a Bilas fan, but I was on that day given the circumstances.

29. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Lundardi has one of the easier "jobs" (yes I know it's not his full-time gig). In any given year, you know all but 2-4 teams usually to begin with and there's 1-2 potentially WTF. He doesn't have to select all 68 teams. The seeding is probably the most difficult but even that isn't extremely difficult.

30. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I easily despise Duke the most of anyone on this board, but CBB is not the same without Dickie V.