What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stolen from reddit - Is your team relevant to Dick Vitale? (Flowchart)

That was funny.

What was funnier to me is that after ESPN spent all that time bitching about RPI and developing its own "BPI" formula, it came out pretty much the same anyway.

Frankly, the NCAA selection is pretty easy to guess in terms of the Bubble.

1. Insert your automatic qualifiers.
2. See how many slots are left.
3. Go down the RPI ranks of every school that isn't automatically in already.
4. Insert the teams with the best RPIs.

Other than 1-3 surprise picks every year, that's your NCAA tourney field.

Seeding is another matter, though.

Where I agree with Bilas is that when looking at Bubble teams, there isn't a lick of difference between a team with RPI 50 and a team with RPI 60. So the committee should put the most weight with those last several selections on who a team has shown it can beat. Credit quality wins over quality losses. Reward quality wins over penalizing bad losses. You want the teams that have shown they can win tournament games. Everyone's capable of losing a tourney game. But not everyone is capable of winning one.

Agree. I can understand the controversy with bubble teams, usually those teams don't matter past the 1st weekend and it goes away quickly at least. So much better than college football. Probably not good to start harping on this again, but....

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the road loss to Harvard was considered a bad loss. Harvard should have been dancing that year, and blew it against Princeton in their last game. The Buffs were never really in that game to begin with so whatever.

The 2 games that killed it were the road loss @San Fran, and the home loss to A&M. CU had both games won, blew both games in regulation(missed FT's killed), and lost both in OT. The San Fran loss was in December, and I remember at the time dreading what it would mean 3 months later in March.

Agree. I can understand the controversy with bubble teams, usually those teams don't matter past the 1st weekend and it goes away quickly at least. So much better than college football. Probably not good to start harping on this again, but....

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the road loss to Harvard was considered a bad loss. Harvard should have been dancing that year, and blew it against Princeton in their last game. The Buffs were never really in that game to begin with so whatever.

The 2 games that killed it were the road loss @San Fran, and the home loss to A&M. CU had both games won, blew both games in regulation(missed FT's killed), and lost both in OT. The San Fran loss was in December, and I remember at the time dreading what it would mean 3 months later in March.

I was having flashbacks to that A&M game on Saturday. Luckily, KU left us with 3 seconds.

Iowa State?

Vitale is the designated announcer for the ESPN Gameday games, however he won't be here this Saturday...he'll be calling the Duke game. :lol:

Vitale is the designated announcer for the ESPN Gameday games, however he won't be here this Saturday...he'll be calling the Duke game. :lol:
I've already pointed this out, but he doesn't usually do games west of the Rockies. And let's be honest, the Syracuse-Duke game is bigger.

Vitale is such a friggin annoying blow horn, I consider his absence from Boulder a good thing. Why college round ball fans like him is beyond me. What a douche.

Vitale is such a friggin annoying blow horn, I consider his absence from Boulder a good thing. Why college round ball fans like him is beyond me. What a douche.

Like all schtick, Vitale's got old. But when he burst onto the scene and for a good amount of time, he did a great job of raising the excitement level and promoting college basketball. Those times he was paired with Valvano for broadcasts in the 90s were so much fun.

Like all schtick, Vitale's got old. But when he burst onto the scene and for a good amount of time, he did a great job of raising the excitement level and promoting college basketball. Those times he was paired with Valvano for broadcasts in the 90s were so much fun.
Where's the love or hate Vitale poll? I like Dickie V, even if he's a bit much sometimes.

I've always like Vitale. As a few others have also noted, his passion for the game is truly genuine and he's still going strong at his age. And he's not lacking for knowledge, they guy does his homework. If there's one thing I don't like that much about him is he overyhypes all the big name coaches and is rarely if every critical of them.

For those who say he's a Duke lover, he did an interview on local radio about a week ago and the guy was saying how Duke got screwed in the calls against Cuse (which in itself is amazing that a local media type would actually defend Duke) but Vitale wouldn't bite on that one.

Last edited:
I've always like Vitale. As a few others have also noted, his passion for the game is truly genuine and he's still going strong at his age. And he's not lacking for knowledge, they guy does his homework. If there's one thing I don't like that much about him is he overyhypes all the big name coaches and is rarely if every critical of them.

For those who say he's a Duke lover, he did an interview on local radio about a week ago and the guy was saying how Duke got screwed in the calls against Cuse (which in itself is amazing that a local media type would actually defend Duke) but Vitale wouldn't bite on that one.

I'm sure I'm a bit biased. Number one ... I am, like Dickie V, a Jersey guy. Also, coincidentally, I spent a good part of my adult life in southeast Michigan, where Vitale was a fixture on what passed for sports talk radio then (actually just sports segments on news talk radio at the time, the 1970s to early 1980s). Dickie was the coach of the University of Detroit initially, and after some significant success in taking the program to at least one NCAA appearance, was hired by the Pistons as HC, which quickly proved to be a bad fit. I don't believe he has coached anywhere since.

But as a season ticket holder at Michigan in the seasons from 1987-89, I recall going early to a game that Vitale and ESPN were broadcasting (probably against THE GENERAL Bobby Knight and Indiana) and seeing Dickie carousing with students who had also come early and challenging them to shooting contests, which I can attest he largely won. Both he and the students had a ball. The guy is a true enthusiast, and IMO a great salesman for the game.

And he knows his ****. I don't begrudge him concentrating on basketball east of the Mississippi (or Appalachians if you prefer) ... he's getting on in years and has to limit his travel I'm sure. But he's a student of the game, and is almost always worthy of being listened to, even if his voice and volume can be irritating at times,

Now ... OTOH Bill Raftery ... :bang:

I'm sure I'm a bit biased. Number one ... I am, like Dickie V, a Jersey guy. Also, coincidentally, I spent a good part of my adult life in southeast Michigan, where Vitale was a fixture on what passed for sports talk radio then (actually just sports segments on news talk radio at the time, the 1970s to early 1980s). Dickie was the coach of the University of Detroit initially, and after some significant success in taking the program to at least one NCAA appearance, was hired by the Pistons as HC, which quickly proved to be a bad fit. I don't believe he has coached anywhere since.

But as a season ticket holder at Michigan in the seasons from 1987-89, I recall going early to a game that Vitale and ESPN were broadcasting (probably against THE GENERAL Bobby Knight and Indiana) and seeing Dickie carousing with students who had also come early and challenging them to shooting contests, which I can attest he largely won. Both he and the students had a ball. The guy is a true enthusiast, and IMO a great salesman for the game.

And he knows his ****. I don't begrudge him concentrating on basketball east of the Mississippi (or Appalachians if you prefer) ... he's getting on in years and has to limit his travel I'm sure. But he's a student of the game, and is almost always worthy of being listened to, even if his voice and volume can be irritating at times,

Now ... OTOH Bill Raftery ... :bang:
It was the perfect storm for him with ESPN launching. I believe he's said, he didn't really think it be a career, but just something to fill the time until he got back into coaching.

He limits his travel for basketball, but does plenty of it for pleasure. I follow him on Twitter, he's been to CO atleast twice in recent years, goes to ND football games, and Wimbledon. But he's earned it that he can he choose the schedule he wants.

Pile whatever credentials or fawning platitudes you want on the guy. Fine. I get his past.

That even bolsters my point. Adapt with the times. I don't need your obnoxious NE accent with its nasal component screaming into my television. It's gone. Its done. Let that homework and knowledge speak for its self without the friggin stupid yelling in the obnoxious voice. Be a commentator. You have your place. You earned it. Now, just do your job and don't act like a douche and drive us fans who are on the fence to the other side.

Shaddup already!!!! Will ya? :lol:

Last edited:
I don't need your obnoxious NE accent with its nasal component screaming into my television.

Shows what the **** you know. Dickie V (like myself) is a proud son of the great Garden State. Which FYI is not part of New England. :finger:

Northeast ya ****ing idot.

Funny ... every time I've seen the "NE" abbreviation on this board, it's signified "New England" ... you know ... as in "Patriots." And in fact ... that is the well recognized and generally accepted abbreviation for that region of the country.

Not to mention, "northeastern" is not an accent. There are several accents, stretching from the "Down East" accent of Mainers, to the strong "New England" accent exemplified by Bostonians, to several New York accents too numerous to mention, New Jersey accents that in North Jersey resemble those of NY (see for instance, The Sopranos) to one resembling the Philadelphia/eastern PA accent. And we haven't even begun to discuss the "Balmer"/Maryland accent. In short ... none of them constitute what could be called a "northeastern" accent.

So you see ... you have once again demonstrated your utter ignorance. I suggest you give more thought before you post such drivel, and while you're at it ... go **** yourself and stuff your **** where the sun don't shine.

Have a nice day.

Funny ... every time I've seen the "NE" abbreviation on this board, it's signified "New England" ... you know ... as in "Patriots." And in fact ... that is the well recognized and generally accepted abbreviation for that region of the country.

Not to mention, "northeastern" is not an accent. There are several accents, stretching from the "Down East" accent of Mainers, to the strong "New England" accent exemplified by Bostonians, to several New York accents too numerous to mention, New Jersey accents that in North Jersey resemble those of NY (see for instance, The Sopranos) to one resembling the Philadelphia/eastern PA accent. And we haven't even begun to discuss the "Balmer"/Maryland accent. In short ... none of them constitute what could be called a "northeastern" accent.

So you see ... you have once again demonstrated your utter ignorance. I suggest you give more thought before you post such drivel, and while you're at it ... go **** yourself and stuff your **** where the sun don't shine.

Have a nice day.

:rofl: you're something else

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

So are you. I'm just not sure that science has yet come up with the suitable binomial nomenclature to properly describe just what you are.

You know who you remind me of right now? Your nemesis fatbuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

You know who you remind me of right now? Your nemesis fatbuff.

Maybe so. The difference between him and me is that I use bigger words, know how to pronounce them, and actually know what they mean.

But other than that I'm sure we're exactly the same.

And ... he's only my "nemesis" in his imagination. He fails to measure up to the threshold of the term.

I like Vitale and he stuck up for CU that year we got screwed by the selection committee.

Have a nice day.

Wow you sure do a great job of demonstrating your ****iness on any subject.

Maybe so. The difference between him and me is that I use bigger words, know how to pronounce them, and actually know what they mean.

But other than that I'm sure we're exactly the same.

Maybe I should have used this quote for the ****iness comment. Eh, most work.

Back