1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stoops to Michigan?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffSax, Dec 4, 2007.

1. BuffSax

BuffSax Member

Interesting page from scout.com about the coaching carousel. Also has Mike Leach to Arkansas potentially.

Think Stoops will take it?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7496470

2. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Why would Stoops go to Michigan? He's worshiped, nearly literally, in Norman and is one of the highest-paid coaches in the country already.

Of the list on that site, I'd say it's the guy from Cincinnatti who'll be in Ann Arbor next year.

3. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

id be shocked if michigan ponied up the cash to get stoops out of norman

4. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Yep, Stoops is not going anywhere

I was thrilled that NU did not pursue Kelly harder. I also think he's the next Meatchicken coach.

5. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Guest

Word is down here that Mike Leach is favored to HC at UCLA.

6. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

stoops would be silly to go anywhere else, given his set up. he does not strike me as a particularly silly man.

as for nu, there had to be somewhat of a recognition that their coaching woes the past several years would not be the fire many would want to jump into. added to that tom wants to have his thumb in the decision making. they were not going to secure a proven head coach with those constraints.

7. Highflyer

It'd be interesting to see that gimmick offense in the Pac-10, hell it might actually work in that conference. Has that O produced any quality offensive players other than Wes Welker? (I still have not forgiven that lil turd for his game against us in 2003.)

8. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

my guess is that if Stoops was to ever leave OU it would be for the NFL

9. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

And Spike Dykes' son to TT.

10. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Guest

Ricky Williams RB for Tech? I seem to recall that he was a little RB that was pretty good under that Offense.

11. Highflyer

Sorry, I left out the part about "going on to be good NFL players". Welker is the only TT player I can recall to have any kind of NFL sucess. Crabtree will be the next.

12. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Guest

Yeah Welker is a freak! The guy has stick em for hands....I always thought their stud TE Joel Filani or WR Jarrett Hicks would amount to something.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2007
  13. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I have a hard time seeing Stoops leaving OU. Brian Kelly would be a good fit at Michigan. I am also hearing Pinkel's name attached to the UM job...then again, Miles hasn't signed his extension you know....

14. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Guest

From what I have heard its based on winning the "big one" but that was posted on a LSU board so who friggen knows!

15. buffwoman526

buffwoman526 Club Member Club Member

:yeahthat: and I can't really seem him doing that even.

16. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Crabtree will be #2, I think.

17. Buffarino

Something is going on with that. Otherwise, there's no reason to wait to sign it. If the terms have been agreed upon, something else is holding it up.

18. CUinDC

CUinDC Member

Unless it's being done unbelievably quietly, Stoops isn't really being pursued by Michigan. I've been reading their papers/blogs/boards pretty obsessively over the last week+ (from Michigan, so also a UM fan), and no one seems to be taking that talk very seriously.

Other than Miles (which the majority seems to like, but will almost certainly not happen now), the main talk recently seems to be Ferentz (which very few people are excited about), Pinkel (which even fewer are excited about), and several others (who no one is excited about). Others mentioned: Jim Grobe, Jeff Tedford, Mike Trgovac, Ron English, Mike Debord (UM's OC...pretty sure there'd be riots if it's him though).

Kelly leads the list of those that the fans like, but the administration doesn't seem to even have him on their list because of some past off-field questions.

19. BuffThat

BuffThat Member

I was told to not rule Miles out at UM, granted this is coming from a significant MSU booster, so who knows.

20. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Until he signs the contract, it definitely can't be ruled out.

21. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

22. Jens1893

From what I have heard many Michigan fans are pissed that their AD will shell out big bucks to renovate the Big House, but is reluctant to put serious cash on the table for a good coach and is rather looking at their current staff. Miles´ buy out and demands also were one of the big sticking points in their negotiations with Miles or rather his agent.

23. CUinDC

CUinDC Member

Not just fans, former players as well: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2007/12/former_um_players_wonder_what.html

Oh, and money doesn't seem to be the biggest problem...it appears that there actually weren't any negotiations: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2007/12/carty_why_wouldnt_martin_call.html

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  24. Jens1893

The whole thing is extremely fishy.

This is from the DFP

25. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

I just don't understand Michigan.. what is it about them that they can't cough up the money to pay for a coach?

26. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Probably because they are shelling out a ****load of money to modernize that run down stadium they have in Ann Arbor. If they were smart they'd retain Neinas and go after a high quality assistant where they can get some bargain pricing.

27. CUinDC

CUinDC Member

They are also paying the bball coach $2.5m/yr, so I really don't think money is the problem. The AD tried to explain why he didn't call back: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2007/12/carty_martin_says_he_got_the_m.html

My favorite part:

"He became frustrated when asked where he was this weekend, insisting that it didn't matter, that he could conduct the coach search from anywhere. He explained that at least part of the problem was he had switched from a Treo phone to a Blackberry and was having some technical problems."

Um, pretty important time for the University...someone want to teach the AD how to use his cell phone?

28. Buffarino

That's the worst excuse I've ever heard. Whether you have a Treo or a Blackberry, the phone still works the same. What a joker this guy is. Good thing I'm not a Meatchicken fan or I'd be pissed.

29. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

deep sea fishing, huh? when did UM hire Dick Tharp?

30. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I'll go out on a limb and say they have pay phones...even in FL.:lol:

I wonder if Miles ever had his face slapped before?