What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stoppin’ by for a Visit – 1/22

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

Stoppin’ by for a Visit – January 21st-22nd

There is a significant difference between the group of prospects which took official visits the weekend of January 14th-15th, and the group coming in this weekend … None of those visiting Boulder this weekend have made commitments to other schools.

Last weekend, Colorado hosted players who had already given their verbal commitments to such schools as Michigan, Arizona State, Texas A&M, and Boise State. This weekend, however, only one of those players making their official visit to Boulder has given a verbal commitment, and that is quarterback Stevie Dorman, who committed to Colorado on January 14th.

A list of players checking out the Boulder campus this weekend include:

Running backs

Malcolm Creer

The Stats … Creer is a 5′11″, 200-pound cornerback from Pacific Palisades, California. He runs a 4.61 in the 40, and has a 3.0 GPA. Creer is considered a two-star prospect by Scout.com; the 121st-best running back prospect in the nation. Rivals, meanwhile, has yet to rate Creer. In his senior season, Creer helped turnaround a team which had gone 1-9 in 2009 to a team which reached the semi-finals in 2010.*Creer rushed for over 1,300 yards, scoring 19*touchdowns on only 120 carries. Creer also returned three kickoffs for*scores, and posted a record 108-yard interception return for a touchdown.*Rivals bio**Scout bio

The Status … *Creer is uncommitted. While he only has offers at this time from Colorado and Idaho State, a number of schools have expressed an interest. Creer had a visit to Nebraska scheduled before Colorado offered, and since Nebraska had yet to tender an offer,*Creer cancelled the trip. Creer may also take an offiicial visit to Washington next weekend, but an offer from the Huskies may depend upon whether Washington can lure four-star running back Bishop Sankey away from a soft verbal commit to Washington State. “It’s just a numbers game with them,” Creer told Rivals.com about his Washington offer. “They’re waiting to see if this person commits, to see if they can give me a scholarship. I’m hoping they offer, but right now Colorado is on top.”

The Skinny … Colorado may be able to obtain a commitment from Creer this weekend, unless Washington is prepared to tender Creer an offer. Creer met with Eric Bieniemy earlier this week, and came away impressed. “He said I kind of broke his hand a little bit, like Adrian Peterson,” Creer told BuffaloSportsNews.net about his meeting with Bieniemy. “I didn’t even have words to express how happy I was (to be extended an offer by Bieniemy),” said Creer. “I wasn’t expecting it all from coach. I was just happy and very, very excited.” As for his trip to Boulder, “I just want to see everything. I just want to see what the campus is surrounded by and how the students are. I want to see Ralphie.”

That can probably be arranged …

Rashad Hall

The Stats … Hall is a 6′0″, 195-pound running back from Oak Ridge Military Academy in Oak Ridge, North Carolina. He runs a 4.62 in the 40 yard dash. Hall is considered to be a two-star prospect by Rivals, but is not rated by Scout. There are no stats yet*posted as to*Hall’s 2010 numbers, but in 2009, as a junior at*Jefferson Forest high in Forest, Virginia, Hall accounted for nearly 1,600 yards of total offense and 13 touchdowns. *Rivals bio* Scout bio *

The Status … Hall is uncommitted. He is currently not showing an offer of scholarship from any school, including Colorado. Apparently this was not the case last spring, when Hall enrolled in the Oak Ridge Military Academy. “I’m getting a lot of interest from Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, NC State, East Carolina, South Florida, and UCLA,” Hall told Rivals.com last May. “All of them say that they love me, but want me to come to campus. They also want to know more about my academics.” Which leads us to …

The Skinny … Hall went from being a successful junior year, in which he accounted for over 1,600 yards of offense at his old high school, to an unrated, un-offered senior year. By his own statements (”I just wanted more opportunities, and to be able to work more on my academics,” Hall said about his move to the Oak Ridge Military Academy), Hall may be construed as an eligibility risk. Colorado has not tendered an offer to Hall, so this back may be seen as a backup option in case Malcolm Creer does not work out.

Jermaine Clark

The Stats … Clark is 6′2″, 198-pound athlete from Oak Ridge Military Academy in Oak Ridge, North Carolina. He runs a 4.6 in the 40 yard dash. Clark is considered to be a two-star prospect by Rivals, but is not rated by Scout. Clark is so far off the radar that Scout doesn’t even has his name spelled correctly, and has Clark listed as a RE/DE. Rivals bio*Scout bio *

The Status … Clark is uncommitted. Clark transfered to the Oak Ridge Military Academy last spring, coming from R.J. Reynolds high school in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. While several schools out west have reportedly shown an interest – New Mexico, Wyoming, New Mexico State and UNLV – Clark, like his teammate Rashad Hall, have received no offers of scholarship from any school, including Colorado.

The Skinny … A real question mark. While academics may be an issue with Clark as they may be with Hall, Clark does not have the resume Hall has, including the reported interest from a number of BCS schools. While Clark’s size – 6′2″, 198-pounds – is attractive as a potential fullback, if Clark is extended an offer by Colorado this weekend, there may be legitimate concerns that the Colorado staff is now looking at players which are objective a “reach”.

Still to come this afternoon, information on the following visitors: DE Juda Parker, WR Devin Lucien, OL Paulay Asiata, and CB Greg Henderson

One official visitor no longer needs an introduction. Stevie Dorman is taking an official visit to Boulder this weekend, but his bio has already been posted under “CU 2011 Verbal Commitments”

Stevie Dorman – QB

Just the facts … Committed January 14th … Dorman is a quarterback prospect*from Somerset, Texas. He is 6′4, 215-pounds, and runs a 4.8 in the 40. Rivals bio*Scout bio

What others*say about Dorman … Here’s where it gets interesting. Dorman, despite being in the top ten in Texas high school history in most passing categories (more on that later), was not rated by either Scout or Rivals. Dorman’s coach at Somerset High was his grandfather, Sonny Detmer (who is, of course, also the father of Ty and Koy Detmer). Detmer told the Denver Post that the reason Dorman does not have a rating because he, Detmer, does not give out information to the rating services. “I’d rather have 10,000 yards than four stars anyday,” said Detmer. For it’s part, Scout.com evaluated Dorman this way: “A polished recruit who looks the part of an NFL quarterback … Does a good job on play fake, also drawing the defensive backs in … Great upside, he could start for quite a few teams as a freshman if needed”.

The numbers alone seem to back up the assesement of Scout and Sonny Detmer. This past season Dorman threw for 3,291 yards and 40 touchdowns in leading Somerset to a 10-3 record. In his three seasons as a starting quarterback, Dorman put up some gaudy numbers. He finished his career with 94 touchdown passes, good enough for sixth on the all-time list in Texas prep history (and two more than what Chase Daniel, who*went on to star for Missouri, posted). Dorman had 9,352 career passing yards, fifth on the all-time list (and just eight yards ahead of one Colt McCoy). Dorman’s 597 completions also put him in fifth place on the all-time Texas prep list, just ahead of McCoy and uncle Koy Detmer.

Dorman had other offers from … no one? Neither recruiting services notes any other offers being made to Dorman. Smaller schools, like UNLV and North Texas reportedly had interest, but there is nothing about any offers from any BCS conference schools other than Colorado. When Colorado head coach said earlier this month that he was looking at a couple of “under the radar” quarterbacks to sign, he wasn’t kidding. Dorman and Burnette (below) are far below the two quarterbacks the Buffs had earlier commitments from, Nick Sherry and Brock Berglund, but we are going to give Embree and his coaches the benefit of the doubt on this one.

In his own words … “I had a blast during my senior season,” Dorman told BuffStampede.com last week. “We went to the quarterfinals for the first time in school history … Somerset had never gone that far before, and I became the all-time leading passer for the San Antonio area.” As to his strengths, “I think my strongest point … is that I knew the offense really, really well”, said the three-year starter. “I often called audibles.”

Dorman is excited about becoming a Buff. “I like coach Embree and coach Bieniemy, and I felt like the West Coast offense there would be the best fit,” said Dorman. “From what I’ve heard, I hear the two offenses (what he ran at Somerset, and what the Buffs will run in Boulder) is almost an exact match. I just have to get the terminology down and I should*be fine.”

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to view the article.

Back