1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storm rains on Boyle`s 'parade`

Discussion in 'CU Buffs Newsroom' started by RSSBot, Jan 4, 2011.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

By Ryan Thorburn Camera Sports Writer

LOS ANGELES -- It`s a good thing the Buffs won. After Colorado`s 85-73 victory at Cal State Bakersfield on Sunday night it took the team over six hours to bus back to the hotel at LAX.

Originally posted by Daily Camera
    Click here to view the article.

2. ccm001

ccm001 Banned BANNED

i heart spam

3. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

Why is it that the PAC-10 doesnt allow charter flights? Why does the conference dictate that?

But I guess it makes some sense, as in the Big 12 we are going to random little towns in the middle of nowhere, but in the PAC we will be flying directly into major airports. But how much nicer would it be for them to be able to fly from Broomfield right to Palo Alto, rather than from DIA to SJC/SFO? That would take hours from their travel time.

4. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Find me an airport in Palo alto that can take anything over an SLJ and I'd be shocked. The honest truth is now we are no longer going to poedunk (sp?) towns more often than not we are far better served to fly commercial.of the top of my head here are the schools closer to a major airport than a good charter alternative:

USC
    UCLA
    CAL
    STanford
    UA
    ASU
    UW
    Utah

OU and OSU are very short drives really only Wazzu would eve warrant a charter.

5. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

In N Out. Overrated imo

6. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

The conference prohibition on charter flights is weak.
    Moreso considering Larry Scott flew into Broomfield to make the P12 announcement.

CU is fly like a G6 and should be able to fly on a G6, too.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Can somebody enlighten me on the ban on charter flights? What's the reasoning behind it? Is it that some schools can afford it, and others can't, thus creating an unfair advantage?

For conference games, I see the logic - there are major airports near all of the conference schools (except WSU). But for non-conference games, this could be problematic. Especially for the basketball teams.

8. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

would force you to play in or closer to major markets which long term is a plus.

9. GoldenBuff

GoldenBuff Club Member Club Member

The sense I got was that the no charter flight thing applied only to conference games. I was googling around looking for confirmation and I found a message board where a pilot was saying that UW took charter flights for their non-conference games so that does indeed seem to be the case.

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Yeah, except for the fact that the game against CSUB wasn't a conference game.

11. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

****ing streets of Bakersfield.... :huh:

12. GoldenBuff

GoldenBuff Club Member Club Member

I was just trying to speak to the whole "no charter flights in the PAC" issue. I have no idea why we didn't take a charter for this game. It is only 2 hours from LA to Bakersfield though so maybe they figured that time savings wasn't worth the additional expense of a charter. I'm just spit ballin' though...