1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Story on Why Shae Kelley left CU during Lappe's first year

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by buffgal, Jan 31, 2013.

1. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

http://bit.ly/WEvA23 I don't understand why she thinks she would have been more comfortable in Boulder and it's lack of diversity under KMM and it is not diverse enough to play for Lappe? This explanation makes no sense to me, Shae. I have lost respect for Coach Harrington.

Some excerpts:

2. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Sounds like we missed out on a solid player, but also a transfer happy one

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

KMM and her staff were poison. So glad we've turned the page.

4. nolabuff

nolabuff Club Member Club Member

Oddly, the entire article about a team's new player is a trash piece about CU, not much to it besides that. I personally think that players, especially recruits, should be granted releases when a new coach is hired. I have the feeling there is something missing from this story though...

5. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

Agree with the feeling that something is missing. There are always two sides to a story and this is only one side.

Also agree with Buffgal that I have lost respect for Harrington. An assistant coach rarely keeps his position at a school when the head coach is dismissed. And he landed quite quickly as a head coach at a junior college in Florida. A classy and smart coach does not trash his former employer...you never know when you could use those now-burnt bridges.

6. buffgal

I agree KMM was poison and now believe her staff was also. This was a piece that totally trashed CU and Lappe, without mentioning Lappe's name. I don't get why Harrington let himself be quoted. Let the kids parents trash CU if they so desire, but he is being unprofessional.

I also think CU should have granted her a release. Especially after all CU went through with Tulsa not granting Bianca Smith a release when KMM arrived at CU. CU fought for that release and finally got it. Seems very two faced on the part of CU.

Shae Kelley played in the exhibition game as I recall and was the high scorer. I can see why CU wanted her, but you don't want an unhappy player on your team. That can poison the entire team.

It's obvious Kelley wasn't buying in to Lappe's system, while the other players did. So glad the Wilson teams stayed, along with Chucky and MPP.

My thought would be that the Pac 12 is a more highly ranked conference than the Colonial. The schools are more like mid-level DI schools Cal walloped them in Norfolk 63-47 and Texas A & M beat them in a tournament 78-55. ODU is 5-3 in the conference and was soundly beaten by Delaware and Elena Del Donne. Kelley had a double double, but the team lost by double digits.

Guess who is an assistant coach at ODU? Tom McConnell, KMM's brother. No wonder that is where Kelley ended up. McConnell was smart enough not to comment for this article.

7. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

I like the immediate no transfer rule. I think it protects the student athletes from making a rash decision right out of the gate that ends up hurting them. I don't want to say it was a bad decision by Shae Kelley to transfer. I'm glad she's happy, but it appears that CU is thriving under Lappe. Perhaps she should've given the new staff a chance.

I also agree that the diversity issue seems like a red herring. This was all about the coaching change and the fact that she ended up playing for KMM's brother Tom at ODU speaks volumes about what truly went on.

8. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Ehh **** em.

9. BuffDog

BuffDog Club Member Club Member

Not granting her a release after firing the coach is a lame rule the athletic department uses. Let her move on and find a better fit.

10. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

I'm never been a fan of keeping players that don't want to be there. I think if coaches decide to leave a program, players should be afforded that same choice. In some cases, having a no transfer rule can be beneficial to the team's future... but one full calendar year seems a bit much. Players sign on to be with a coach and their staff, often as much as the actual university

11. buffgal

I wonder what she thinks now that CU is ranked and is thriving under Lappe. Might have been better with her.

However, this absolutely was not about diversity. It was about the coaching change. Funny on ODU's announcement about hiring Tom McConnell, two of his recommendations are from his sisters: KMM and Suzie McConnell Serio.

I would guess some kids have transferred immediately and regretted it from various schools with a coaching change. Alyssa Fressle did not improve her situation by transferring to Boston College.