What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Students - Athletes - Alumni - Facilities

Stampede

It's been a while since I've posted (four kids will do that to a man) but I've finally reached my boiling point in the whole "excuses" department so I had to post.

CJ summed up my feelings best when he said "I'm afraid with those excuses continuing to percolate, we'll establish our program as a permanently mediocre program,".

I have a proposal on how to fix one issue: Facilities. Does the school have money to perform upgrades - yes. Do they have enough to make a significant impact in the short term - no. Why don't they think outside the box, develop another school tradition at the same time, by creating a Habitat for Humanity (insert cool program name here) type project for CU Athletic Facilities. Use the 30,000 students on campus as volunteer laborers, overseen by foremen of course. You could even expand the labor pool to Alumni, who I think would find it easier to donate time rather than money. I estimate at least 30-40% savings could be had on each project.

Imagine the school unity and attachment each one of us would have if we took part in actually building part of the school.

After the blue out I know there are very talented, dedicated individuals here who could make this happen. I wish I could carry the ball, but I have a 4 month old in my arms instead. However, I'd bring my 13 and 11 year olds up to Boulder if this program really existed. It's time to stop making excuses, isn't it?

The problem is the perception that it will create. Its a cool idea, but pretty much everyone in the media will whine about how they are helping a rich school, and not building houses for the homeless. If it were part of a larger area project to help improve shools or homes in the Denver/Boulder area, then maybe, but if it is just a one off to help CU, then it will be a PR nightmare IMO.
Maybe CU could pitch it as a sort of eco way to build, but then a bunch of you would whine that the whole eco thing is a fraud.

This could never work. Good idea, but unskilled labor is good for two things pushing a broom and picking up trash. Not to mention most college kids are flat out lazy and would quit after a week. We would not be building a habitat for humanity type project. The structure is much more difficult and the finishes would need to be much nicer. Send money and leave it to the pros or donate your time to raise money.

Stupidest idea ever.

I beg to differ:

lilred375.jpg

You're entitled to your opinion, but it would be nice to be constructive in trying to solve the problem. I guess your suggestion is we keep doing what we've been doing because that's working oh so well.

This could never work. Good idea, but unskilled labor is good for two things pushing a broom and picking up trash. Not to mention most college kids are flat out lazy and would quit after a week. We would not be building a habitat for humanity type project. The structure is much more difficult and the finishes would need to be much nicer. Send money and leave it to the pros or donate your time to raise money.

True that. Building a large commercial structure is much more difficult than pounding nails in a 1000sf house. All of the trades are very specialized.

Back