1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support RG on summer concerts at Folsom

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

RG tweeted the following earlier tonight:

[tweet]617143065552105474[/tweet]

I retweeted it and it would be good to get some more people re-tweeting, quoting with a message of support, or just favoriting.

If you aren't a fan of the artist and want to make it clear that your support is for concerts at Folsom in general, you can use this tweet by me if you want: https://twitter.com/buffnik/status/617186564473495552

Or tweet something new.

It would be good if either the #CUBuffs or #GoBuffs hashtags are used for any new tweets or quoted ones. A lot of students would pick up on it that way.

Let's do what we can to make this happen. Not only would it be fun as hell, but it would be a good revenue stream that also better connects CU & Folsom to the community.

2. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

I got you

3. TDforTD

TDforTD Banned BANNED Club Member

Apparently this is a huge band because it seems like every post on my fb is about this concert. Folsom would be an awesome environment to see a show.

4. CUav8er

CUav8er Club Member Club Member

I saw VH, Loverboy, Dio, and BTO @ Folsom in 1986. It was pretty awesome.

5. BuffPride88

BuffPride88 Club Member Club Member

My old man attended many concerts @ Folsom during his time at CU and years after living in Boulder. I've asked him for stories and he always says " when you're older". I just turned 27 and still nothing ....

Checked out ZBB last night and at Red Rocks over the years . Nothing touches RR as far as rock venues

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

ITB and I saw The Who at Folsom in 1989. I have vague, fuzzy memories of that show, but I know we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Saw the Who there in October of '82. I was sort of trying to listen to a world series game on my radio, too. Willie McGee hit two home runs that night and the Cardinals beat the Brewers (who were in the AL then).

Favorited Nik's tweet.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  8. scoob

scoob Club Member Club Member

Saw The Who, the Stones, and Heart there in the 80s. Guess it never occurred to me that they stopped hosting concerts there. When did they stop?

9. Buffnik

Last concert was Dave Matthews on July 11, 2001.

"Folsom Concerts" correlated to "Football Success"?

Quite possibly. From a university culture standpoint, hosting concerts shows that the administration values having fun, big events as an important part of CU culture. It also shows a commitment to maximizing its football stadium asset.

10. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

If the school has a good reason not to hold concerts at Folsom, kind of a bold move by RG.

So why aren't there concerts there anymore? It's a great venue, would add revenue to the school and the community and help get students and possibly athletes.

11. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

I sure would never pay to see Dio. In fact, I try to avoid the tailgates just so I don't have to see him.

12. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

I love the idea of concerts from a revenue standpoint, but directly they will have a extremely small effect at the most for students and student athlete marketing. Only way I see it helping is using the revenue to enhance the SA experience by providing another revenue avenue for facility upgrades and maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. BuffCat

BuffCat Club Member Club Member

My parents saw Paul McCartney at Folsom once upon a time and said it was awesome. I'd love it if concerts came back.

14. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

I don't think I ever saw a concert at Folsom Field. I'd love it if they'd start holding things there again. It'd be great for the students.

15. silver&gold

silver&gold Member

Saw the stones in 81, who in 82 and 89, and Simon and Garfunkel the night before freshman year started Sept 1983 (5th row next to Nugget Bill Hanzlik).... Great venue for the big shows :)

16. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

we were there but don't remember much other than we spent big coin at Taco Bell afterwards...

17. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

If memory serves, Tharpe or GB ended the concerts saying that they were too much of a damage risk for the field.

18. Buffnik

That's a weak excuse. Laughable, really. Especially since we're talking about summer concerts. I wonder what the real reason was.

19. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Noise.

20. pcbuff

pcbuff Club Member Club Member

I don't see it working with the aggressive nature of CU's renta cops.

21. sockdolager

sockdolager Club Member Club Member

If RG if he wants to make it happen I have confidence he can pull it off. It takes a while to change a culture but he's changing things fast.

22. goalline

goalline Jedi Master Club Member

And traffic and parking.

I didn't go, but I remember the neighborhood response to the Who concert in 89 and that mostly shut things down.

I'm in favor of concerts though.

23. buffsroam

buffsroam Club Member Club Member

I was at the Dave Matthews concert. It was a blast other then the heavy rain right before the concert. I did not realize this was the last concert they have had in the stadium. DMB played about a half hour after the time CU told them they had to stop. Rumor is they paid a large fine for doing so.

24. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

That was a good show, right before DMB went to ****

25. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I remember the Super Saturday Concerts at Folsom back in the 80's. Maybe RG has plans for something similar?

26. GoBeers

GoBeers Club Member Club Member

Folsom was Turf until 1999, so there might be some truth to that. Only one concert after it was grass?

That doesn't mean it was good reason though.

27. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Not really. Nothing to do with Tharpe or Barnett. The DMB concert was considered a disaster by some in the administration. Folsom was trashed and several people left in ambulances. The administration felt the liability of concerts was too much and has not allowed the Program Council to have concerts.

The other thing that has happened is that Large venue concerts have really died out in the US. It is very difficult to make money on them for a variety of reasons. There are not many acts that can sell more than 20,000 tickets today - the concert business is actually booming right now but it is venues like Red Rocks, Fiddlers Green, Pepsi Center, etc. that promoters are looking at for concerts.

SuperiorBuff likes this.
  28. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Saw the Outfield / Jeff Starship, also Crowded House at Coors back in 86-87. Venue wasn't very good, but tickets were fairly cheap and could get close to the stage.

29. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Good info, the only thing I remember being talked about on sports talk at the time was the field damage.

30. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

Agreed. Mile High was completely re sodded this Spring. There has since been one huge country concert there (Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line) and another one is coming up on August 8th (Kenny Chesney and Jason Aldean). Not an excuse at all.