What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Suppose...

Let's assume that the Big 12 South goes away leaving the Big 12 North to fend for itself. Here are the media markets we serve:

Colorado (#16 Denver)
Missouri (#21 St. Louis)
Kansas (#32 Kansas City)
Kansas State (#69 Wichita-Hutchinson)
Iowa State (#72 Des Moines-Ames)
Nebraska (#76 Omaha)

Plus some additional coverage in #74 Springfield, #88 Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque, #92 Colorado Springs-Pueblo, and #105 Lincoln-Hastings-Kearney, among others.

Those are interesting numbers. What they tell me is that, at #89, Waco is the smallest television market in the Big XII. Just the kind of prize the Pac-10 came into this looking for.. :rolling_eyes:

Those are interesting numbers. What they tell me is that, at #89, Waco is the smallest television market in the Big XII. Just the kind of prize the Pac-10 came into this looking for.. :rolling_eyes:

Versus the Front Range TV market...what are those BU people thinking?

Sportsfan101 is just bitter because he's been bastardized like that by other posters here. He's a beat dog lashing out.

Is this really necessary when it's just a fellow Buff presenting a different point of view? Disagreement is fine, but this? Come on now.

Yep. Baylor's core market has a bit over 300,000 people in it. That would be like CU only being seen in Boulder County and not even being assured of grabbing the cable boxes in Broomfield county.

Let's assume that the Big 12 South goes away leaving the Big 12 North to fend for itself. Here are the media markets we serve:

Colorado (#16 Denver)
Missouri (#21 St. Louis)
Kansas (#32 Kansas City)
Kansas State (#69 Wichita-Hutchinson)
Iowa State (#72 Des Moines-Ames)
Nebraska (#76 Omaha)

Plus some additional coverage in #74 Springfield, #88 Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque, #92 Colorado Springs-Pueblo, and #105 Lincoln-Hastings-Kearney, among others.

That's not enough. Only way we'll make enough money to stay competitive is if we increase our media footprint while adding teams that increase conference prestige by winning and competing for championships.

This means the list of candidates is pretty small:

Utah (#31 SLC), BYU (#31 SLC + international), TCU (#5 DFW), New Mexico (#44 Albuquerque-Santa Fe), UNLV (#42 Las Vegas) and San Diego State (#28 San Diego) would be the 6 I'd pick. Is it ideal? Far from it. But it would be a conference that could win and command a decent media contract.

Western Division:
BYU
Utah
UNLV
San Diego State
Colorado
New Mexico

Eastern Division:
Nebraska
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
TCU

Edit: You could also go to 14 with Houston (#5 Houston) in the East and Fresno State (#55 Fresno-Visalia) in the West. There are also decent options out there to take it to 16.

Back in 1978 when the Internet wasn't around and the NCAA had a chokehold on those TV contracts, the Pac-8 invited Arizona and Arizona State to the conference. I have read at the time that Phoenix and Tucson were seen as cities that were going to explode in population and yet they did. Given your numbers, you might want to take a good look at New Mexico, UNLV, and BSU in that regard plus the Salt Lake City region. Sure, there will be a bunch of people moving to California since they have no idea what they are getting into and a bunch of people moving out to those regions after they had enough of California just like here in Colorado. Plus you got the Mormons of BYU and their national appeal.

I wonder if the Pac-8 would have been ripped today if faced with the same scenarios of adding both Arizona schools when Arizona had that kind of potential? Something to think about.

Boise's growing fast, but it's still only the #112 market (about the same size as Sioux Falls, SD with around 260k people). Compare that with Spokane, which Washington State brings and is considered too small to make any difference to a media contract. Spokane = #75 w/ 420k population.

New Mexico, UNLV and the Utah schools I'm on board with, though, as I had posted. Growth cities that are already in the top 50.

I for one, do not want to step down to the Mtn. Weenie Div. or any other bastardized version of a Mickey Mouse league. Honestly, name the following:

Utah's defensive MVP;
New Mexico's W-L record last year;
Wyoming's biggest recruit.

Point is, nobody but a Mtn. Weenie Geek or Phil Steele could answer these questions. Why? Because the Mtn. Weenie is IRRELEVANT. Why would CU want to be irrelevant, just to win the irrelevant league title? No thanks.

Boise's growing fast, but it's still only the #112 market (about the same size as Sioux Falls, SD with around 260k people). Compare that with Spokane, which Washington State brings and is considered too small to make any difference to a media contract. Spokane = #75 w/ 420k population.

New Mexico, UNLV and the Utah schools I'm on board with, though, as I had posted. Growth cities that are already in the top 50.

Isn't Washington State a hour or two away from Spokane?

Plus I have been to Boise...I believe the Boise area has more people than the Spokane area so Boise can easily surpass Spokane down the road.

Last edited:
I for one, do not want to step down to the Mtn. Weenie Div. or any other bastardized version of a Mickey Mouse league. Honestly, name the following:

Utah's defensive MVP;
New Mexico's W-L record last year;
Wyoming's biggest recruit.

Point is, nobody but a Mtn. Weenie Geek or Phil Steele could answer these questions. Why? Because the Mtn. Weenie is IRRELEVANT. Why would CU want to be irrelevant, just to win the irrelevant league title? No thanks.

I believe that is a weak argument...knowing who the individual team MVPs are? Those things do not get published on ESPN.com but the individual schools themselves.

And since UNM sucked so bad last year, no one really cares about their W-L outside of Albquerque. Now, would people do the same for CU?

And I'm sure BSU's starting QB didn't garner the recruiting headlines when he signed with the Broncos but he has turned out to do well while we just had a major bust in Darrell Scott.

Put yourself in CU's shoes on how opposing fans view CU. I'm sure CU fans looked down on other schools in the '90's in the same fashion because a bunch of fans for any school places their trust in 18-22 year old kids to pump up their self esteem.

I believe that is a weak argument...knowing who the individual team MVPs are? Those things do not get published on ESPN.com but the individual schools themselves.

And since UNM sucked so bad last year, no one really cares about their W-L outside of Albquerque. Now, would people do the same for CU?

And I'm sure BSU's starting QB didn't garner the recruiting headlines when he signed with the Broncos but he has turned out to do well while we just had a major bust in Darrell Scott.

Put yourself in CU's shoes on how opposing fans view CU. I'm sure CU fans looked down on other schools in the '90's in the same fashion because a bunch of fans for any school places their trust in 18-22 year old kids to pump up their self esteem.

My point isn't the individual questions but rather nobody keeps up on issues those questions represent, because nobody gives a **** about the Mtn. Weenie. If you want CU to go into a league nobody gives a **** about, fine, I think it would consign CU to perpetual irrelevance. Hell, even if a Mtn. Weenie team wins EVERY FRICKIN' game, they don't get a NC shot. Doesn't that tell the whole story? I'd rather be an also ran in a real conference than king of molehill.

My point isn't the individual questions but rather nobody keeps up on issues those questions represent, because nobody gives a **** about the Mtn. Weenie. If you want CU to go into a league nobody gives a **** about, fine, I think it would consign CU to perpetual irrelevance. Hell, even if a Mtn. Weenie team wins EVERY FRICKIN' game, they don't get a NC shot. Doesn't that tell the whole story? I'd rather be an also ran in a real conference than king of molehill.

Let's look back in time...did it rock to see CU on top of the Big 8 which is a conference. Now doesn't it suck that CU isn't one of the top teams in the Big12? The Big 12 is a conference.

What happened to the idea that it's better to be the BEST instead of being a member of a very good group? I wonder if the CU adminstration has the same mindset as you do. THAT SUCKS in my opinion.

Let's look back in time...did it rock to see CU on top of the Big 8 which is a conference. Now doesn't it suck that CU isn't one of the top teams in the Big12? The Big 12 is a conference.

What happened to the idea that it's better to be the BEST instead of being a member of a very good group? I wonder if the CU adminstration has the same mindset as you do. THAT SUCKS in my opinion.
Well if winning anything is the goal, let's say eff it and go to the RMAC. CU would go on a 30 plus game win streak. After the RMAC catches up, (because the recruits would dwindle, as would the support), CU could go DIII, and then maybe NAIA. CU would be perpetual winners until Pop Warner was the only game left.:rolling_eyes:

Yes, it's better to be at the top of a MAJOR conference, which the Big 8 was, than at the bottom of a MAJOR conference, which is what the Big XII is. Is it better to be at the top of a minor conference, like the MWC than in the middle of a major conference, which is what the Pac-10 is?? I guess that's up to everybody to decide for themselves. Hell, we could win the RMAC in a walk every year, but personally I'd rather be the #4 program in the Pac-10 than be Nebraska-Kearney....

EDIT: I see Lefty beat me to the RMAC reference. Great minds really do think alike... :lol:

You dont get to be the best by running to inferior competition. Your premise is ****ed.

I'd rather win a medal in the real Olympics, but I am aware that I am a ****ty athlete and that is not possible.

"A Man's got to know his limitations" Harry Callahan

So you suggest CU willingly relegate itself to permanent second-tier status?

Try debating that with Boise State fans. BSU would whip us today.

You are very short sighted, yes we have a ****y coach now, and a crappy team, but I sure hope this is not the new normal, It was only 20 years ago we were national champions, and less than 10 years ago we were one of the best in the country, we are not Boise State

You are very short sighted, yes we have a ****y coach now, and a crappy team, but I sure hope this is not the new normal, It was only 20 years ago we were national champions, and less than 10 years ago we were one of the best in the country, we are not Boise State

We were the best because we had a great coach and I agree with you.

BYU is still the lone non-BCS school to win a national championship and even if they didn't win it all back in 1984, they still are remembered as a program that won big under LaVerdall Edwards. People love winners. CU was kind of like that with the RMAC and Mountain States Conference with the same schools (Utah, BYU, CSU, Wyoming, AFA, etc).

CU won't be able to win right away in the MWC but they Buffs can win big down the road and we will not miss being part of a BCS conference. Winning does cure everything and the Pac-16 or the current Big 12 might be too big of a hurdle for the Buffs to overcome in the long term.

People say I'm short sighted but the same people who are happy to settle for medicority ought to be labeled in the same way.

People say I'm short sighted but the same people who are happy to settle for medicority ought to be labeled in the same way.

That's exactly what you are doing by suggesting a move to the MWC is in CU's best interests - settling for mediocrity.

I want to stay on the same stage as the big boys for when Hawkins finally gets ridden out of town.

It is not going to happen. You dont win MNCs by beating Nevada.

Auburn learned that the hard way did they? The big name schools will schedule CU because they know CU isn't afraid of playing in those big games. CU would be given the oppournity to schedule the big games and suppose the Buffs win out, they have a shot at winning the MNC. Buff fans have completely forgotten how difficult it is to win a MNC in practice. Didn't some politics help CU win the whole thing in 1990? That will never change in college footballl...BCS or no BCS.

Will we still be bummed about not having a shot at the MNC? Yes but it means we still had a wonderful season anyway.

That's exactly what you are doing by suggesting a move to the MWC is in CU's best interests - settling for mediocrity.

I want to stay on the same stage as the big boys for when Hawkins finally gets ridden out of town.

Would a big name coach be willing to come to Boulder? We don't know for sure.

Auburn learned that the hard way did they? The big name schools will schedule CU because they know CU isn't afraid of playing in those big games. CU would be given the oppournity to schedule the big games and suppose the Buffs win out, they have a shot at winning the MNC. Buff fans have completely forgotten how difficult it is to win a MNC in practice. Didn't some politics help CU win the whole thing in 1990? That will never change in college footballl...BCS or no BCS.

Will we still be bummed about not having a shot at the MNC? Yes but it means we still had a wonderful season anyway, and orange slices for everybody![/QUOTE]

I take my self off of self-imposed exile on this topic to add the above.

If we join the MWC and Dan Hawkins wins 8 games the first year of new league play, does he get a contract extension? I would have to vote hell yes. If we are playing football in a piss poor conference, I want a piss poor coach taking us to the promise land.

Back