What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Surprise, surprise - Longhorn Network taking more football than advertised

I think CU in a far better position than we were a year and a half ago. That being said, I have no fantasy that OU is in a terrible situation. The athletic department is in the position to gift the university with excess. Beyond football, they are squared away.

Conference expansion takes center stage — again
It’s time to speculate…
We all know that last summer, when conference expansion was all the rage, the Pac-10 attempted to hijack members of the Big 12 South so that a Pac-16 could be formed. Of course, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott was unable to snag Texas and Oklahoma — the gems of the Big 12 — away from the league, so he settled for Utah and Colorado.
Now, with rumors resurfacing that Texas A&M and Oklahoma could be revisiting their SEC options in light of Texas ruffling some feathers with the Longhorn Network drama, many are wondering about the future of the Big 12.
Well, if the OU/A&M dominoes fall, there will no longer be a Big 12 because Texas could just declare its independence and enjoy the bliss of having its own television network like BYU. Many have speculated that the Mountain West could then be the best option for those Big 12 schools left in the dust. And there’s no question that the MWC adding teams like Missouri and Texas Tech could help its case for a spot in the BCS party when the current deal expires. But, unfortunately for the MWC, I’m not sure the league would get the chance to scoop up the leftovers.
If I was Big East commissioner John Marinatto, I would take the initiative and extend — once again — invites to Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State as it did during last summer’s expansion frenzy. Coupled with TCU’s addition next season, the league could then play a conference championship game. On the basketball side, the Big East would have 20 members, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see 12 teams get into the NCAA tournament every season.
In that scenario, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor and Iowa State would be left for the MWC. I still can’t see how OU moves without Oklahoma State, so I think SEC commissioner Mike Slive would take the Pokes, as well, and focus on getting one more school to make it a 16-team SEC.
If the Big East does take early action, which I believe it should, and the SEC is also able to get its top-tier programs, the MWC would likely be stuck with merging with Conference USA. Certainly not the worst option in the world, but definitely not the way it wants to go as it attempts to become a BCS member.
As of now, of course, this is all speculation. But the writing is on the wall: we are headed for a handful of Superconferences.

:rolling_eyes: (bolded)

Yahoo NFP on campus link

that IS complete BS. no one "settled" for CU in the Pac. Even as bad as we've been in revenue sports....

i did laugh about the MWC getting BCS legitimacy with MU and Texas Tech. hoo boy. for real? someone got paid to write that....

well... history shows that CU had an invite to the Pac-10 in the mid nineties... we turned it down and we were still offered an invite in 2010. I have to think that OU is in the same situation. They KNOW that should the Big 12-2 fall apart, they have a place to land. If they do not KNOW this, then I presume they would already be in the new conference already. Some people on here may not like them because they "possibly cheat." But as far as I can see, from a sports perspective, they are a well run school. They do not embarass their conference and they make $$. They are a household name and a great TV draw. This makes them the most attractive team right now for exapnsion except for Notre Dame and a humble U of Texas.

well... history shows that CU had an invite to the Pac-10 in the mid nineties... we turned it down and we were still offered an invite in 2010. I have to think that OU is in the same situation. They KNOW that should the Big 12-2 fall apart, they have a place to land. If they do not KNOW this, then I presume they would already be in the new conference already. Some people on here may not like them because they "possibly cheat." But as far as I can see, from a sports perspective, they are a well run school. They do not embarass their conference and they make $$. They are a household name and a great TV draw. This makes them the most attractive team right now for exapnsion except for Notre Dame and a humble U of Texas.

What??? Baylor, A&M, and Texas Tech are the most attractive teams right now!! You know nothing about Texas football and it's absolute greatness over everything.
Remember the Alamo.

Back