What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sweet 16 thread

JPinCO - I believe North Carolina is a perfect lesson in what a difference a true point guard makes. If Spencer Dinwiddie can come in next year and give us the same type of thing that Kendall Marshall gave UNC this year (even if not quite to the same level), there is a good chance the Buffs will have a heck of a season despite losing so much 1-on-1 offensive firepower.

I grew up in NC and my dad went to Chapel Hill, so I've been a Tarheel fan my whole life. I can understand a lot of the resentment around how the elite ACC teams are treated by the media, but I look at this particular UNC team a little differently than years past. They're young, athletically talented, but are coming off a year where they didn't make the Dance and were relegated to the NIT. They were picked in preseason polls to finish behind Duke and VT, which is of course a bit of a slap in the face for their tradition. They played crappy at the beginning of the season and came on stronger as the year wore on.

Not saying there are direct parallels, but the Buffs can look at where they are this year and see the potential of a young team building on a deep NIT run & taking that into the next season. I don't see near the arrogance on this UNC squad as I've seen in others, because last year was pretty humbling (Carolina fans' arrogance is another story). Now, the Buffs don't have near the talent pipeline that UNC does, but I can see Boyle showing his guys the path Carolina took from last year to this year and saying, "you guys are young, but capable of using the NIT to make a lot of noise next year." I know that's where any parallels end; because they also have world class facilities and a dedicated fan base in which men's bball supersedes all other sports by a wide margin. But the Buffs also showed they can play with anybody.

As for Carolina's run- Carolina earned a #2 seed with its wins in the last few months and the regular season ACC title; and the fact that they had a relatively easy path thus far is a function of having a good seed...as it should be. Can't fault the committee or media bias for that - the other 2 seeds played close by as well; Florida in Tampa, ND in Chicago, and SDSU in Tuscon. Those sites were selected long before the field was set, and they're all within a few hours. They got no easier a bracket than any other seed. I think a lot of folks picked WA to upset UNC; and they probably should have. I'd argue that Florida had the easiest path by far - an overrated BYU team that slightly over-performed in the Tourney and a marginal UCLA team were the strongest in their group.

As an overall #1 seed, OSU got screwed versus Kansas' bracket. No matter how young they are, having UNC and Kentucky in your bracket is always dangerous purely because of talent. Two HOF coaches and top 10 recruiting classes. KU's next 4 tops seeds were ****e - ND was schizophrenic & Purdue was suspect. I thought Louisville was the most dangerous team in their bracket & I picked them over KU for the Final Four slot. BUST.

I think Kentucky will take down UNC - their play has been just too inconsistent this year and they've barely survived too many games in the last few months. Unfortunately, this looks like KU's year again. :bang:

BTW- I'll always follow ACC basketball & root for the Tarheels; but if Carolina and the Buffs were to play, I'd be cheering for CU. Definitely my alma mater over my dad's.....

Nice post, it would be nice if CU could reach a point of consistent excellence to inspire a significant dedicated fan base big enough and rabid enough for others to look at us as arrogant.

JPinCO - I believe North Carolina is a perfect lesson in what a difference a true point guard makes. If Spencer Dinwiddie can come in next year and give us the same type of thing that Kendall Marshall gave UNC this year (even if not quite to the same level), there is a good chance the Buffs will have a heck of a season despite losing so much 1-on-1 offensive firepower.

THIS....no offense to Nate, who traditionally does a good job of taking care of the ball, but not having a PG that provides a legitimate scoring threat is crippling in the college game

THIS....no offense to Nate, who traditionally does a good job of taking care of the ball, but not having a PG that provides a legitimate scoring threat is crippling in the college game
Marshall (UNC) only scores 6 ppg (to Nate's 3 ppg), but of course he has a deep selection of scorers to dish to; plus the speed and driving ability that Nate doesn't. Marshall is no Lawson, that's for sure; at least in his freshman year. I still don't see him a 10+ ppg score as an upperclassman; mostly because UNC can always find extraordinary players at all other positions. But yeah, he's more of a threat; even if he doesn't rack up the totals - his assists per game also double that of Nate's. But Nate's a statistically better 3pt shooter.

The thing you gotta like about Carolina's team is that not only is their frontcourt very big, but they run the floor consistently and frenetically. Everyone on Williams' team had better run flat out on breaks, or they will sit on the bench. That makes the PG very effective. Colorado also does this fairly consistently, although we play a smaller lineup & should expect this. I can't stand watching big men lope up the floor 5 seconds behind the fastbreak.

Last edited:
Regarding pace of play: I can enjoy slightly slower paced games played in the 60s, as long as the game is played well. Its not as entertaining as games in the 80s, but it can still make for great entertainment and high drama. Teams like Wisconsin though, that are perfectly happy playing in the 40s... They can eat a bag of dicks. Absolutely miserable to watch a team eat 34 seconds of the shot clock every time, even if they have a very good look, and only running one fast break the entire game. DU does the same thing, they need to get on the Tad train and learn to take advantage of the altitude and get teams to run.

Marshall (UNC) only scores 6 ppg (to Nate's 3 ppg), but of course he has a deep selection of scorers to dish to; plus the speed and driving ability that Nate doesn't. Marshall is no Lawson, that's for sure; at least in his freshman year. I still don't see him a 10+ ppg score as an upperclassman; mostly because UNC can always find extraordinary players at all other positions. But yeah, he's more of a threat; even if he doesn't rack up the totals - his assists per game also double that of Nate's. But Nate's a statistically better 3pt shooter.

The thing you gotta like about Carolina's team is that not only is their frontcourt very big, but they run the floor consistently and frenetically. Everyone on Williams' team had better run flat out on breaks, or they will sit on the bench. That makes the PG very effective. Colorado also does this fairly consistently, although we play a smaller lineup & should expect this. I can't stand watching big men lope up the floor 5 seconds behind the fastbreak.

Yeah...Marshall definitely isn't really a scorer (although much better than I had thought before I saw him play). His strength is his court vision. He's a great floor leader, and he is instrumental to UNC's rise the latter part of the season. I can't think of another example of addition by subtraction as Drew leaving UNC's team.

What God awful basketball. OMG, Florida! WTF? You guys deserve to lose you ****ing morons.

Kansas can now win the championship game with only one win over anyone higher than an 8 seed. Unreal.

Kansas can now win the championship game with only one win over anyone higher than an 8 seed. Unreal.

You mean get to the championship game. Still, your point is taken. It's typical bull**** KU luck. Don't forget that they didn't have to play any of the top 3 seeds in their region on the way to their '88 title.

You mean get to the championship game. Still, your point is taken. It's typical bull**** KU luck. Don't forget that they didn't have to play any of the top 3 seeds in their region on the way to their '88 title.

No, they can GET TO the championship game without beating anybody seeded higher than 8. The one win would be in the title game.

No, they can GET TO the championship game without beating anybody seeded higher than 8. The one win would be in the title game.

OK I see, he said "with only one win over anyone higher than an 8 seed". At first I thought it read that they can win the title without beating anyone higher than an 8 seed. Details, details. :lol:

Even in 2008, they faced a 16, an 8, a 12, and 10 before beating two #1s in the Final Four to win the championship.

They're legit though. Thought they were the best team when the tournament started.

Kansas' size and 3 shooting makes them a tough out for anyone. they could lose, but playing a bunch of "we're just happy to be here" double digit seeds hasn't made this a tough "go" for them.

not exactly Carmelo, Hackim Warrick, Gerry Mcnamera and Syracuse beating good teams day after day, is it?

Even in 2008, they faced a 16, an 8, a 12, and 10 before beating two #1s in the Final Four to win the championship.

They're legit though. Thought they were the best team when the tournament started.

I'd just like to see them have to play some good competition instead of just being handed a title. Again.

UCONN is looking like the team that just flat wins games.

no one knows at this point.....if i'm Texas i'm taking an uzi to work. but, hey?

Arizona is just impressive on the boards. I am glad we didn't have to face this Arizona team this year. D. Williams is going to be a top pick of this draft.

Back