1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactical shift to this year's Tadball defense

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Mar 20, 2009
    "In the past, our main concern was keeping the ball out of the lane," Boyle said. "This year, we're making a change. If you're guarding a shooter, especially let's say in the corner, and the ball is being driven at you or toward you, you're not helping on the ball.

"We're going to make them take tough twos and no easy threes. That's going to be our philosophy."

If a Buffs defender gets beat off the dribble, I'll give them a runner over Josh and/or Wes over a kick out to a wide open 3pt shooter EVERY DAMN TIME. This was the aspect of CU's defense that frustrated me the most last year. It was like the team relied on the opponent being cold from the outside. Bad strategy in today's game.
    GoonieBuff likes this.
  2. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Sep 23, 2005
    Love hearing this. I am starting to really get jacked for this season. Think we will see some decent improvement and a better team than most are expecting in the media.
  3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Glad he figured this out. So frustrating to watch us leave guys open
  4. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

Mar 25, 2011
    This is great. I'm also happy with what I read Tad say on Media day - that he sees allowing the players to "figure things out" and play through things last year was a mistake at times, and that he'll be much more apt to stop things and make corrections this year (in practice and in games).

While I see value in allowing the Wooden approach, a team like last year (lack of leadership and older talent) was not the right type of team to allow to figure things out, as they never did. Maybe we'll actually see Tad use TOs when appropriate in order to stop major momentum swings this year. Yeah, there's one less TO this year, but not having enough TOs was rarely an issue for Tad.
  5. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Aug 27, 2010