What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle: CU Buffs are mediocre

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Ryan Thorburn Buffzone.com

PALO ALTO, Calif. -- There was a sinking feeling inside the visitors locker room at Maples Pavilion. Colorado, after getting swept by Cal and Stanford during the program's first Pac-12 road trip, is suddenly knee-deep in mediocrity again.

Originally posted by Daily Camera
Click here to view the article.

Go Tad.

I love hearing honesty and straight talk from a coach.

We are mediocre right now.

We do need to get tougher.

We are back to square one as far as determining what type of season this is going to be.

Thursday night against ASU we need to get things back on track. And then we need to send a message against Zona on Saturday.

Everything he said is spot on.

Need to take care of business at home this week. And yes, Zona needs to be defeated in Boulder.

For every positive thing he does on the court right now, it's being off-set by 8 negative things. Every minute on the court is a exhibition in frustration. For my hairline's sake, he needs to stay on the bench. I almost called for Ben Mills the other night, that's how frustrating he's been.

That's about as nicely as I can openly discuss Simba's play this season.

Anyone else interested in passing the Stanford game off as a terrible stretch of 10 minutes, nothing more, nothing less? The other 70 minutes of basketball played in NorCal went fine, albeit in losing efforts, and every team is going to lay an egg, just ask North Carolina.

That effort Thursday night against Cal would get wins against most other Pac-12 teams, and, the first half offense against Stanford was some of the best we've played ('Dre! With a jump shot!). It's the toughest road trip on the conference slate, is anyone really shocked we came away with an 0-2 record. I was hoping for a split, just because I'm Jingo-istic like that.

I almost want to take this as Coach Boyle sandbagging against heightened expectations, rather than an actual assessment of his team. This team is better than mediocre, just wait til the SoCal or Arizona swings...

Anyone else interested in passing the Stanford game off as a terrible stretch of 10 minutes, nothing more, nothing less? The other 70 minutes of basketball played in NorCal went fine, albeit in losing efforts, and every team is going to lay an egg, just ask North Carolina.

That effort Thursday night against Cal would get wins against most other Pac-12 teams, and, the first half offense against Stanford was some of the best we've played ('Dre! With a jump shot!). It's the toughest road trip on the conference slate, is anyone really shocked we came away with an 0-2 record. I was hoping for a split, just because I'm Jingo-istic like that.

I almost want to take this as Coach Boyle sandbagging against heightened expectations, rather than an actual assessment of his team. This team is better than mediocre, just wait til the SoCal or Arizona swings...
No, we really are mediocre. At best, this team is a top 4 finisher in the pac12. This year, even that would be decidedly mediocre.

No, we really are mediocre. At best, this team is a top 4 finisher in the pac12. This year, even that would be decidedly mediocre.

I meant comparatively against our conference competition. Certainly, this team isn't nationally good. Any talk of bubbles and Tournament was unfounded and premature. A top-4 finish in a 12 man league is better than mediocre, especially since we were predicted in a tie for 10th.

top 6 in the PAC:12 would be nice, but still not sure we will finish in the top half. We can play really good or really bad, we just never know what we are going to get from game to game.

I meant comparatively against our conference competition. Certainly, this team isn't nationally good. Any talk of bubbles and Tournament was unfounded and premature. A top-4 finish in a 12 man league is better than mediocre, especially since we were predicted in a tie for 10th.
Fair enough. In short: We are better than everyone thought we would be, but we will still finish around 6th in the pac 12 (better than I thought, but I think that is more due to the pac 12 sucking than anything else)

I think we are mediocre with upside. We can finish top 4 and be a legit threat for the conference tourney.

It's disappointing that this far into the season, though, that we haven't developed consistency in our rotations. There's not a single guy I know is going to score in double figures every game. There's upside to that, though. Carlon, Dre, Mayor, Ski, Austin are all capable. Nate will hit some threes and be in that group every now and then. If we can correct the turnover problem and get good ball movement, we can score with anyone.

I think we are mediocre with upside. We can finish top 4 and be a legit threat for the conference tourney.

It's disappointing that this far into the season, though, that we haven't developed consistency in our rotations. There's not a single guy I know is going to score in double figures every game. There's upside to that, though. Carlon, Dre, Mayor, Ski, Austin are all capable. Nate will hit some threes and be in that group every now and then. If we can correct the turnover problem and get good ball movement, we can score with anyone.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but has Nate hit double digits more than twice? It may only be once.

As I and many other people have been saying since we heard Cain was coming back, his development by the end of the season is KEY. So far, returns have been extremely discouraging. Boyle does not trust him.

Last edited:
Re: rotations

There's no consistent production to be found on this team, I've given up trying to find any. It ebbs and flows like the tide at the Bay of Fundy. Take Austin Dufault. Not only is he a senior, but he is one of our most consistent performers, yet 3 weeks ago I watched him score only 1 point against Utah. Everyone on this squad has been guilty of basketball absenteeism on at least a few occasions this season.

Overall, there are only 6 guys I feel can be relied upon on a nightly basis to give you the same "type" of performances. Dre, Carlon, Mayor, Austin, Sabatino, and Askia. Even then, we've been seeing some cracks in the game of the freshmen recently.

The rotation is a hodgepodge by necessity. How can you have rotational consistency when the rotation's performance is anything but consistent? Coach Boyle has to go minute by minute with most of the roster, while squeezing performances out of rocks like Simba and Jeremy Adams. Half the time I feel like he has to wait to find out what he's going to get with every player. Spaghetti is constantly getting thrown at the wall.

As I and many other people have been saying since we heard Cain was coming back, his development by the end of the season is KEY. So far, returns have been extremely discouraging. Boyle does not trust him.

This is the one point I dont quite understand, from what I have seen him he seems to be somewhat legit. Is he a starter? no, but seems to be decently athetic, and has a big upside. In comparison to his competition (SHT, Mills, Eckloff), I would have thought he would be getting decent playing time by this time in the season. There seems to be an obvious distrust from Boyle for some reason.

Note: All the hate we have been giving SHT, he did get the minimal number of minutes of anyone else on the team, yet we are giving him the most hate

Note: All the hate we have been giving SHT, he did get the minimal number of minutes of anyone else on the team, yet we are giving him the most hate

I think this has a lot to do with the expecations we had for him, there was a lot of talk from the staff about all the work he has put in after his acl surgery and it just hasn't materializd. A lot of the issues I see aren't easily corrected, guys with bricks for hands don't suddenly develop a soft touch.

I think this has a lot to do with the expecations we had for him, there was a lot of talk from the staff about all the work he has put in after his acl surgery and it just hasn't materializd. A lot of the issues I see aren't easily corrected, guys with bricks for hands don't suddenly develop a soft touch.
Yup. It is a talent issue.

There are drills you can do to strengthen your hands and improve hand-eye coordination. To a large extent, soft hands and reaction time are innate, but they can be improved.

@ the bold: Not just a jump shot, but a turnaround baseline jumper! :thumbsup: Had to rewind and watch again to believe it.

Might be stating the obvious, but when your best players are mostly freshman and sophmores, games like Stanford will happpen.

Back