What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle fun facts

It's an interesting way of showing how a generally accepted standard (W/L%) do not apply to every situation. Not to state too much of the obvious but for this phase of his CU career, Tad is more appropriately measured by post-season appearances and 20 win seasons (3 for 3) as a standard for measuring success relative to CU and the bball programs historical performance.

My big problem with this is it treats the NIT equal to the dance

My big problem with this is it treats the NIT equal to the dance

Not at all actually. It's saying success is incremental and relative to previous historical performance. In other words, for his first 3 yrs out of the gate he's easily the most successful CU bball coach in the modern era.

Not at all actually. It's saying success is incremental and relative to previous historical performance. In other words, for his first 3 yrs out of the gate he's easily the most successful CU bball coach in the modern era.

and you can do that by pointing to his win totals, or back to back post season NCAA tournament appearances or point to the PAC:12 tournament championship banner hanging in the keg.

Let me put it this way, if Ricardo took us to four straight CBI tournaments (yes I know we would never participate) would you still be thumping your chest about post season appearances?

Tante - do you not understand what incremental success means? Let me explain it further so we're clear.

Year 1: NIT appearance
Year 2: P12 tourney win, sneak into NCAA tourney
Year 3: NCAA tourney earned through regular season

If you're charting this on a graph, Tad has us going up and to the right. Incrementally, we're more successful each year.

The example you used about Patton doesn't apply. If his first 4 years were CBI tournaments, no that wouldn't be impressive.

Here's the massive difference between Tad and others that calls for a shout out, not only are Tad's last 3 years the most successful run in CU bball history, IT'S ALSO HIS FIRST THREE YEARS AT THE HELM!

I get the impression some people (not necessarily you) woke up on March 10th, 2012 (the day of our P12 tourney championship) like this and said:

I'm ready to be a CU bball fan.
WhatDoYouLiveUnderARock1.png

There's literally nothing to nitpick about the last 3 years. If you are, big question: how did you manage to get through the previous 30 years??? Living under a rock is the only answer I can come up with.

yes I was waiting to get called out on my basketball fandom. Do I need to provide a resume to appease you? If you are excited to beat your chest about a NIT tourney invite, then go for it. Were you doing backflips in 97 when we made "a post-season appearance" for the 2nd year in a row? I think I remember you on campus, you were the guy screaming "incremental success" in the quad.

People, people, people.

Tad Boyle allows you to say stupid stuff in order to make you look like a fool later. It's all part of his plan for world domination.

When Tad Boyle is around, the atmospheric pressure is 00.00. Tad Boyle is never under pressure.

Tad Boyle once moved a stationary front.

The weather outlook for the area around Tad Boyle : 100% Chance of Pain.

Tad Boyle likes to have a light workout by boosting satellites into geosynchronous transfer orbit.

I don't know how you could have read my post then respond with this:

If you are excited to beat your chest about a NIT tourney invite, then go for it.

Go get a coffee, eat a snickers, maybe throw in a Redbull and then get back to me.

Tad is more appropriately measured by post-season appearances and 20 win seasons (3 for 3) as a standard for measuring success relative to CU and the bball programs historical performance.

I don't know how you could have read my post then respond with this:

Go get a coffee, eat a snickers, maybe throw in a Redbull and then get back to me.

yeah who could have got that from your post.

Tante in the history of CU hoops an NIT season has been far above the average and thus something to be celebrated. As the average comes up over time then it will be less so, but the reality of it for now is that over the past 70 or so years we've averaged an NIT trip about every 9 years.

yeah who could have got that from your post.

Are we going to pretend I didn't clarify how success is measured by improving each year? But if you're going to go back to the first post, that's ok too because I pointed out 20 win seasons as a measuring stick.

Also, I have to go back to this picture in my head with the caption:

What's that? A 24 win season and NIT semi-finals in his first year AFTER we went 15-16 the year before (and 9-22 the year before that, and 12-20 the year before that one)? Wake me when we get a real coach! Going back inside...
42663133578021031.jpeg

I have NEVER been excited about an NIT trip. Not in 2011, Not in 2006. NEVER!!!

I wasn't all that excited about it in 2011. I was glad to see the team play a couple more times and was glad the team did well, but I was burning over the NCAA snub.

Now, if we'd taken care of business against Texas Tech in 2010 and sneaked into the NIT I would have been ecstatic. It would have been a big achievement for that team and the program at the time.

I wasn't all that excited about it in 2011. I was glad to see the team play a couple more times and was glad the team did well, but I was burning over the NCAA snub.

Now, if we'd taken care of business against Texas Tech in 2010 and sneaked into the NIT I would have been ecstatic. It would have been a big achievement for that team and the program at the time.

2011 was a tourney snub, but our RPI was in the 60s with some awful losses. And because of the snub, the emphasis shouldn't be on the NIT appearance, but rather that we had a +9 win turnaround in 1 year, and were even in the discussion for a tourney selection a year after having a losing record. That's phenomenal.

Then you simply aren't realistic about what/where we are as a basketball school.

absolutely not. My expectations have forever changed (thanks to Tad) and if/when we go to the NIT, I will be disappointed.

Trust me, I know our history. I have been there for a lot of games with 1,000 people in the keg during some ****** day in December where I sat 1st row midcourt because there was nobody there. I am willing to let that past go and embrace our new basketball overlord: Tad Boyle

I think Gold joined to late to be part of the exit in the first round of the dance or make the final four of the NIT thread.

I think Gold joined to late to be part of the exit in the first round of the dance or make the final four of the NIT thread.

Based on his reg date he did.

And after learning about the financial set up for both its is no longer a question. First round exit hands down.

I've been posting on CU message boards since dec. 2005 (when barney was fired). I wouldn't exactly call that late to the party.

I've been posting on CU message boards since dec. 2005 (when barney was fired). I wouldn't exactly call that late to the party.

we meant here on allbuffs, no other sites exist in our world.

Last edited:
What's your point about not being on allbuffs during the NIT semis? I was on here for this years first round exit and posted a ton of bball stuff over this past season.

What's your point about not being on allbuffs during the NIT semis? I was on here for this years first round exit and posted a ton of bball stuff over this past season.

reading can be fun. try it

This is why we need a baseball team. Or a men's lacrosse team. Something to keep us occupied in the offseason. We're eating our young.

Seriously, this is brutal. We're discussing reg dates and who saw what thread. Feel like I'm at the DMV waiting for the football season to start.

Back