What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle

I don't know why, but when I saw the article on the front page here I definitely felt some upsetness. I can't really put my finger on it but Boyle is the only one of the three candidates I had some misgivings about. I don't like this. I can't really explain why but it just doesn't feel right.

This.

You guys don't know why? Maybe because CU is hiring a coach that has had "tremendous" short term success at a small college that he had tremendous role in building and is being expected to compete in the big XII with little big conference experience... where have I seen this story before?

You guys don't know why? Maybe because CU is hiring a coach that has had "tremendous" short term success at a small college that he had tremendous role in building and is being expected to compete in the big XII with little big conference experience... where have I seen this story before?

Boyle has been an assistant at Oregon and Tennessee, so he does have a little big-school experience.

I like:
-that he took a horrible team in UNC and made them good this year. They beat CU in a scrimmage earlier this year.
-that he has ties to Larry Brown, Tennessee, Oregon, Mark Turgon.
-that he is a Colorado guy, hopefully not a stepping stone job, unless the Kansas job opens up, and if he is good enough to be considered for that, that means he was very successful at CU.
-I think that he has the biggest upside of any of the coaches. Dunlap should have gotten a D1 job by now, and McClain did great things at Wyo, but he also fizzled at the end.
-That he is saving the AD money, hopefully to be put to good use.

I don't like:
-No name recognition.
-One good year at UNC (fluke, or harbinger of things to come?)
-Can he recruit, or can he fill a staff with recruiters?

Overall, I could have been happy with any of the three candidates, and If that is what we are limited to, I am happy with Boyle. Welcome to the Buffs and bring us success.

I hope the guy does well. Bzdlk made some headway IMO. If he doesn't start winning, I can imagine the calls to "Lance the Boyle"...:smile2:

Very underwhelming. This is all about potential. As someone said the bright side is that he has alot of upside, mainly because he's an unknown quantity. Bohn is gambling that he is the next Mark Turgeon. Even if he is, I'm not sure that he has proven enough to deserve a shot at a high-major program. We gave him the keys a bit early...

[/B]Two words for CU … Tad Boyle[/QUOTE]

Check out this article by Frei yesterday. It is an endorsement of Boyle, without any real material rationale as to why, like Frie doesn't even know why the hell he is endorsing him. Woelk's endorsement of Boyle this morning also lacked any compelling substance.

Does it not look like a media conspiracy w/ Bohn here?

I'll add two more of immediate worry:
- Does McClain stay as an assistant?
- Does this change our roster for next year, specifically does Burks stay after he said that he preferred McClain?

One article said he's already met with the team... so hopefully everyone is on-board

Saw on the Daily Camera that McClain is expected to take an assistant position at Indiana. Shooter is going home....

One thing that kind of kicked in yesterday while watching the NBA, Boyle came with blessings of Larry Brown. Larry Brown is the coach of the Charlotte Bobcats. The Charlotte Bobcats General Manager is Rod Higgins. Rod Higgins has a son....

Check out this article by Frei yesterday. It is an endorsement of Boyle, without any real material rationale as to why, like Frie doesn't even know why the hell he is endorsing him. Woelk's endorsement of Boyle this morning also lacked any compelling substance.

Does it not look like a media conspiracy w/ Bohn here?[/QUOTE]

I hope so. Cause Woelk choosing Boyle is like the kiss of death imho.

One thing that kind of kicked in yesterday while watching the NBA, Boyle came with blessings of Larry Brown. Larry Brown is the coach of the Charlotte Bobcats. The Charlotte Bobcats General Manager is Rod Higgins. Rod Higgins has a son....

That is some impressive CSI work there.

No surprise Woellk supports any decision MB makes. He's pretty much the AD lapdog and propagandist....

:wow:...didn't expect this at all...Have some serious question marks & doubts about Mike Bohn, will give the guy a chance, but if this blows up in a bad way the biggest question I'll have about this CU sports era, won't be about the coaches, but moreso about the AD

Funny, because before the announcement was made, I couldn't get a feel on this board for any one favorite over the others. They all had plusses and minuses. Now that they've made their choice, we're piling on saying it's a bad hire.

I would have been happy with any of the three finalists, and I'm happy that they chose Boyle. I think he has a lot going for him.

like always, i'll try to reserve judgment until he flails or succeeds.

color me skeptical, but hopeful.

Funny, because before the announcement was made, I couldn't get a feel on this board for any one favorite over the others. They all had plusses and minuses. Now that they've made their choice, we're piling on saying it's a bad hire.

I would have been happy with any of the three finalists, and I'm happy that they chose Boyle. I think he has a lot going for him.

I'm not piling on, I admit I don't know much about it. I do sincerely hope Boyle does well. From a casual obeserver's POV, it looks like they went to the places they could drive to in an hour or less, and picked the best guy they could find. Add in CU hasn't fared well hiring coaches lately, and most of those coaches came from mid-major conferences (-Ka-thy-Mc-Conn-ell-Mil-ler-, Lappe, Hawk, and now Boyle) and it just doesn't generate much excitement.

Don't mean to be a dick - but terrible hire.

how would you know?

seriously. how the **** would you know?

it appears to me that the hire is a reach and all, but you have no ****ing clue as to whether it will work out or not. none of us do.

it is an unproven hire is what it is.

Don't mean to be a dick - but terrible hire.

Time will tell. CU hasn't been a basketball school for decades. Even when Chauncey was here. It would have been difficult to go get a really big time coach. Of the three that were finalists, I don't think any one of them would have set the world on fire from a name recognition standpoint.

If you look at the poll thread, out of 59 votes, Boyle recieved 5. He was clearly the last choice of the board among the three finalists.

how would you know?

seriously. how the **** would you know?

it appears to me that the hire is a reach and all, but you have no ****ing clue as to whether it will work out or not. none of us do.

it is an unproven hire is what it is.
Ok - it's of my opinion that this is a terrible hire.

If you look at the poll thread, out of 59 votes, Boyle recieved 5. He was clearly the last choice of the board among the three finalists.

True. I do think people are being a bit harsh on Boyle though. He is definitely not a safe pick, but then I did not view any of the three candidates as a safe pick. They all had considerable inherent risk.

Anyone with any familiarity with UNC knows that what he achieved there was pretty magical. There's no fan support or commitment to winning for the Bears and he completely turned that around. He does have some question marks but out of all 3 candidates he had what could be considered to be the most successful season in a Sweet 16 birth with Wichita State. I like this hire. McClain seemed like a band aid hire and by what I've heard the players didn't like Dunlap's "hard ass" attitude.

He was my last choice out of the 3. He did a great job of completely turning around the UNC program but he still only had 1 good year. And this was in the Big Sky conference. I just have a very hard time getting excited about this hire.

He was my last choice out of the 3. He did a great job of completely turning around the UNC program but he still only had 1 good year. And this was in the Big Sky conference. I just have a very hard time getting excited about this hire.

maybe he'll work for cheap. ... like for monthly rogaine treatments...

i kid. i kid. maybe he'll be great. who knows?

maybe he'll work for cheap. ... like for monthly rogaine treatments...

i kid. i kid. maybe he'll be great. who knows?

"Some folks call it a sling blade; I call it a Kaiser blade"...sorry couldn't resist...7c3d7d70b3474f6e..jpg

so which of the top 150 recruits is he going to bring with him. Looking at UNC's recruiting page, they have 3 5 star recruits a SF, SG and PG. Now looking over the current roster I think.... [someone whispers in tante's ear] wait he is from that UNC, University of Northern Colorado. What the ****.

**** this ****...i quit im done with cu basketball... and im pretty close to being done with cu football... seriously bohn... throw your self off a cliff this-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh....

Back