What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle

The criticism of this hire is sort of baffling to me.

1. "We didn't hire a 'name' coach that will excite recruits". Ugghh. I love my alma mater, but we don't exactly have a rich basketball tradition. Of the power conferences, you could make the argument that CU is in the bottom 10% in terms of BB tradition. The only big time coach we might possibly attract is one that left his last job in disgrace and/or failure. Other fan targets, like the coach at St. Mary's would probably view CU as a lateral move at best. That leaves us going after retreads or assistants. BB assistants just don't have the name recognition for the casual fan like football assistants do.

2. "Tad Boyle doesn't have the experience." He coached as assistant in PAC 10 and SEC, coached in the NCAA tourney, and has turned around a morbid lower tier team. Resume sounds every bit as good or better than Dunlap or McClain. The comparison with Hawkins will be made, but they really don't have the same background. Boyle played at an elite program (Kansas), has had several D1 stops to learn the game, and then became a head coach. Hawk played at Davis, then essentially made a few minor stops before becoming an assistant at BSU, then head coach. Not the same thing at all.

3. "This was a hire made on the cheap." Not sure if that's the case. Bohn got good recommendations from other BB gods (Larry Brown), Tad has the experience as oulined above, his system fits our current talent on the roster, his UNC team whipped CU last year, and he's a local guy that likely won't job hop. However, even if it was a money saving decision, what's the problem with that? Football is the straw that stirs the drink aroung here and we'll likely be searching for a new coach soon. Wouldn't you rather have the war chest available to go after a great head coach and assistants in football?

I don't know if Coach Boyle will work out, but I have no problem whatsoever with this hire. Go Buffs!

You must be kidding. McClain took Wyoming to the 2nd round of the NCAAT. Boyle took UNC to 2nd place in the Big Sky. Gee, I wonder which is better?

Here's how.... McClain did nice things at Wyoming, but Boyle's turnaround of UNC is way more impressive. Way more impressive.

I think some people have gone so far down the "Bohn/Hawkins/Benson/Distephano sucks" road that they'd be pissed off no matter who was hired. I think the miserable state of the football program is subconsciously tainting some folks opinions about this hire. I'm not upset with the hire at all. I am anxious to see how it turns out. Of course, I hate basketball, so I'll have to see how it turns out from the comfort of my kitchen table, when I'm reading the newspaper about how the team did the night before.

The more and more I read about Boyle...the more I like him.

Two things really impressed me:

1) He wants to scrap Princeton and run an up-tempo offense to take advantage of the altitude...that should have been a no brainer for any CU coach

2) He is out recruiting today because he bases everything on defense and rebounding, which means toughness, which means we might actually see a post move and a box out in 2010-2011

1) He wants to scrap Princeton and run an up-tempo offense to take advantage of the altitude...that should have been a no brainer for any CU coach

2) He is out recruiting today because he bases everything on defense and rebounding, which means toughness, which means we might actually see a post move and a box out in 2010-2011

where is he recruiting? Greeley West or Greeley high? seriously that is good news and hopefully he can keep the entire team together and add 3 guys. I did never understand why we don't run a more up-tempo offense.

I agree. Uptempo baby! Especially for basketball, there is just no way to adjust in the time they have between when they arrive and when they play. I want to see teams run out of the gym!

The criticism of this hire is sort of baffling to me.

1. "We didn't hire a 'name' coach that will excite recruits". Ugghh. I love my alma mater, but we don't exactly have a rich basketball tradition. Of the power conferences, you could make the argument that CU is in the bottom 10% in terms of BB tradition. The only big time coach we might possibly attract is one that left his last job in disgrace and/or failure. Other fan targets, like the coach at St. Mary's would probably view CU as a lateral move at best. That leaves us going after retreads or assistants. BB assistants just don't have the name recognition for the casual fan like football assistants do.

2. "Tad Boyle doesn't have the experience." He coached as assistant in PAC 10 and SEC, coached in the NCAA tourney, and has turned around a morbid lower tier team. Resume sounds every bit as good or better than Dunlap or McClain. The comparison with Hawkins will be made, but they really don't have the same background. Boyle played at an elite program (Kansas), has had several D1 stops to learn the game, and then became a head coach. Hawk played at Davis, then essentially made a few minor stops before becoming an assistant at BSU, then head coach. Not the same thing at all.

3. "This was a hire made on the cheap." Not sure if that's the case. Bohn got good recommendations from other BB gods (Larry Brown), Tad has the experience as oulined above, his system fits our current talent on the roster, his UNC team whipped CU last year, and he's a local guy that likely won't job hop. However, even if it was a money saving decision, what's the problem with that? Football is the straw that stirs the drink aroung here and we'll likely be searching for a new coach soon. Wouldn't you rather have the war chest available to go after a great head coach and assistants in football?

I don't know if Coach Boyle will work out, but I have no problem whatsoever with this hire. Go Buffs!

I thought about this last night. And I totally agree. Why break the bank to save 1/20 of our income (if that) when you should be saviing up for the hire that will make or break the entire department? Given that strategy, I totally agree with this choice. And who knows, maybe Boyle will win 20+ games next year and bring in some big time recruits.

I will be interested to see what the compensation package is like. For sure, Boyle will not be making what Bzdelik did. If he can come in here and produce in year one, this could turn out to be a fantastic hire. That's a very big "if", though.

I will be interested to see what the compensation package is like. For sure, Boyle will not be making what Bzdelik did. If he can come in here and produce in year one, this could turn out to be a fantastic hire. That's a very big "if", though.

Youtube never has the movie quotes I think they should (and I don't know how to create them). So anyway, just assume I inserted a video clip of "...and that's a pretty big "if"..." from The Bobs on Office Space.

Thanks for your understanding.

Youtube never has the movie quotes I think they should (and I don't know how to create them). So anyway, just assume I inserted a video clip of "...and that's a pretty big "if"..." from The Bobs on Office Space.

Thanks for your understanding.

Where you fail... I find something better.

[video=youtube;n23j4-gpxro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n23j4-gpxro[/video]

A better clip as it stands alone? Yes. But in this case it lacked context.

Though I admire that dudes' tactical savvy to take the high ground--literally if not morally.

can someone somewhere combine movie quotes AND yakety sax? Would it create an infinite loop of awesomeness?

[video=youtube;f3DhKR6Q-g0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DhKR6Q-g0[/video]

I have always wondered why CU didn't run a Billy Tubbs style, try to score 100 points every game, type of offense.

Good luck to Tad Boyle. He has a tall hill to climb at CU.

where is he recruiting? Greeley West or Greeley high? seriously that is good news and hopefully he can keep the entire team together and add 3 guys. I did never understand why we don't run a more up-tempo offense.

I think you're half joking, but I had to look it up UNC's roster anyway. Looks like Boyle got out a bit, but he also had more than a few Colorado kids.

0Emmanuel AddoF/CFreshman6-8215Northfield, Minn./Northfield
2Will FiguresGSenior5-9155Centennial, Colo./Smoky Hill
3Lee HallGSophomore5-8155Denver, Colo./Montbello
4Kevin HanesCFreshman6-10200Monument, Colo./St. Mary's
10Chris KabaFRS Junior6-8185Gary, Ind./Andrean
11Elliott LloydGRS Freshman6-1165Houston, Texas/Klein Forest
12Travess ArmentaGJunior6-0190Longmont, Colo./Longmont
15Tate UnruhGFreshman6-2155Branson, Mo./Branson
20Yahosh BonnerGSenior6-1215Mesa, Ariz./Mountain View
21Hauns BreretonFFreshman6-6205Bartlett, Tenn./Bartlett
22Ben JenkinsF/CSenior6-9240Golden, Colo./Golden
23Mike BedfordG/FFreshman6-4175Plano, Texas/Jesuit Prep
31Dave ArnoldGFreshman6-1200Highlands Ranch, Colo./ThunderRidge
32Devon BeitzelGRS Junior6-1180Lafayette, Colo./Centaurus
33Neal KingmanFRS Junior6-7220Greeley, Colo./Greeley West
34Connor OsborneCFreshman6-9250Littleton, Colo./Columbine
41Mike ProctorF/CSophomore6-8225Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista
44Taylor MontgomeryF/CJunior6-7235Aurora, Colo./Cherry Creek
Head coach: Tad Boyle (fourth season)

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant really say much about the hire because Im not familiar with this guy. Getting an endorsement from Brown is nice. I like that he's a homestate guy and that he wanted the job so badly, that usually translates into someone that will work their ass off. It wouldnt be fair on my part to criticize it when I dont know what we are getting.

I think you're half joking, but I had to look it up UNC's roster anyway. Looks like Boyle got out a bit, but he also had more than a few Colorado kids.

0Emmanuel AddoF/CFreshman6-8215Northfield, Minn./Northfield
2Will FiguresGSenior5-9155Centennial, Colo./Smoky Hill
3Lee HallGSophomore5-8155Denver, Colo./Montbello
4Kevin HanesCFreshman6-10200Monument, Colo./St. Mary's
10Chris KabaFRS Junior6-8185Gary, Ind./Andrean
11Elliott LloydGRS Freshman6-1165Houston, Texas/Klein Forest
12Travess ArmentaGJunior6-0190Longmont, Colo./Longmont
15Tate UnruhGFreshman6-2155Branson, Mo./Branson
20Yahosh BonnerGSenior6-1215Mesa, Ariz./Mountain View
21Hauns BreretonFFreshman6-6205Bartlett, Tenn./Bartlett
22Ben JenkinsF/CSenior6-9240Golden, Colo./Golden
23Mike BedfordG/FFreshman6-4175Plano, Texas/Jesuit Prep
31Dave ArnoldGFreshman6-1200Highlands Ranch, Colo./ThunderRidge
32Devon BeitzelGRS Junior6-1180Lafayette, Colo./Centaurus
33Neal KingmanFRS Junior6-7220Greeley, Colo./Greeley West
34Connor OsborneCFreshman6-9250Littleton, Colo./Columbine
41Mike ProctorF/CSophomore6-8225Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista
44Taylor MontgomeryF/CJunior6-7235Aurora, Colo./Cherry Creek
Head coach: Tad Boyle (fourth season)

Hope you don't mind. I did a little editing to make it readable.

I do like seeing that he has 7 or so guys that are at least 6'8" on that roster. Hopefully he doesn't just recruit big guys, but can get big guys that can play.

I've got to say, I really don't understand why people would see this choice as SO much worse than the McClain/Dunlap options. I know some liked what McClain did in Hawaii, but I keep hearing reports from people familiar with his time at WYO that he was not at all well liked by the time he left there... And if Boyle's success in the Big Sky isn't big time enough for some, what does that make Dunlap's RMAC success? Big Sky is at least a D-1 league.... :huh:

Hope you don't mind. I did a little editing to make it readable.

I do like seeing that he has 7 or so guys that are at least 6'8" on that roster. Hopefully he doesn't just recruit big guys, but can get big guys that can play.

His team was in the top half of the league in rebounding margin, so that is a bit encouraging. Obviously hard to translate that to the Big 12, but at least his team was not a terrible rebounding team.

I agree. Uptempo baby! Especially for basketball, there is just no way to adjust in the time they have between when they arrive and when they play. I want to see teams run out of the gym!

I'm completely on board with this logic. Especially when you have no big dudes, who usually tire more quickly. Turn that shortcoming into an advantage.

I'm completely on board with this logic. Especially when you have no big dudes, who usually tire more quickly. Turn that shortcoming into an advantage.

Crazy Joe tried to do it. He had a slogan: "Run Press Score Win"....something like that. seems like the logical conclusion to being the only conference team at relative altitude.

Crazy Joe tried to do it. He had a slogan: "Run Press Score Win"....something like that. seems like the logical conclusion to being the only conference team at relative altitude.

Who do you think was the fastest point we've had in the last 20 yrs or so? I'd go with that Mookie kid, forget his last name. He was a little out of control, but man he would get the ball down court in a hurry.

Who do you think was the fastest point we've had in the last 20 yrs or so? I'd go with that Mookie kid, forget his last name. He was a little out of control, but man he would get the ball down court in a hurry.

Mookie Wright was very fast indeed. Unfortunately, he fell victim to the Colt Brennan syndrome.

Unfortunately up tempo is also associated with no defense too often. It's great to be able to run, but still need to plan for the half court on both ends.

Unfortunately up tempo is also associated with no defense too often. It's great to be able to run, but still need to plan for the half court on both ends.

As I understand (and mean it). Uptempo is a pace, not just pushing the ball up the floor. How Kstate plays defense is uptempo, for instance. You can play an uptempo halfcourt offense as well. It's not just running the floor, it's just continual movement. The exact opposite of the San Antonio Spurs, for instance. :lol:

As I understand (and mean it). Uptempo is a pace, not just pushing the ball up the floor. How Kstate plays defense is uptempo, for instance. You can play an uptempo halfcourt offense as well. It's not just running the floor, it's just continual movement. The exact opposite of the San Antonio Spurs, for instance. :lol:

I'm aware of that. My beef is when we talk about playing 'up tempo' or 'run it run it run it' just because the altitude we play at, as if that's the only way we're gonna win. Teams are gonna have issues with the altitude whether we run the ball or not.

I'm aware of that. My beef is when we talk about playing 'up tempo' or 'run it run it run it' just because the altitude we play at, as if that's the only way we're gonna win. Teams are gonna have issues with the altitude whether we run the ball or not.

This I agree with. Depends on what "up-tempo" means. I believe we can get out on the break and press/trap a lot on defense. But I don't believe anything tires out an opponent more than making them work for 25-35 seconds every time they're playing halfcourt defense... with CU only shooting sooner in the clock if there's a major breakdown of the defense. I want to see a "high energy" team that's constantly attacking on both ends of the court. But I don't want to see us reviving the old Loyola Marymount system. Fortunately, that's not Boyle's intent - he said 70-80 ppg, not 100-120.

This I agree with. Depends on what "up-tempo" means. I believe we can get out on the break and press/trap a lot on defense. But I don't believe anything tires out an opponent more than making them work for 25-35 seconds every time they're playing halfcourt defense... with CU only shooting sooner in the clock if there's a major breakdown of the defense. I want to see a "high energy" team that's constantly attacking on both ends of the court. But I don't want to see us reviving the old Loyola Marymount system. Fortunately, that's not Boyle's intent - he said 70-80 ppg, not 100-120.

@ the Bolded Part: :nod: I completely agree, and you just described the UNC Bears under Boyle. I'll admit he was my 3rd choice behind McClain and Dunlap, but I didn't think we could lose with any of them. Starting to warm up to the hire.

Up-tempo its great in theory and our best players are clearly big12 caliber, but it is damn near impossible to run a team like KU that is 12 deep out of the gym.

Up-tempo its great in theory and our best players are clearly big12 caliber, but it is damn near impossible to run a team like KU that is 12 deep out of the gym.

:nod: Yup. KU was hanging by a thread in the last minutes of regulation in Boulder a few months back(It wasn't the first time). Aldrich looked like he was about ready to pass out, but they regrouped in OT and pulled it out. A strong will/desire to win will beat out up-tempo at altitude every time.

Back