1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tad....Don't Accept the Phone Call...

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Idot Buff, May 11, 2011.

1. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/10/3066077/colorados-boyle-would-be-a-good.html

2. chitownbuff

chitownbuff Club Member Club Member

I don't think he will, especially with the new TV revenue, near completion of the practice facility, and surprisingly impressive recruiting class. This is his chance to put his stamp on CU basketball.

3. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

the ATM boards were speculating Buzz Williams, which seems low % to me. he signed a fat contract with Marquette and OU publicly named him their #1 guy, lauded his OK and Texas roots....to no avail. and this is much later in the process.

4. Mick Ronson

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

1. Buzz Williams, Marquette (bit of a longshot)
    2. Scott Spinelli, Texas A&M (assistant - very highly regarded)

Others. Doc Sadler (Nebraska), Tim Miles (CSU), Doug Wojcik (Tulsa), Ben Jacobson (Northern Iowa), Tad Boyle (Colorado), Johnny Jones (North Texas)

It read to me that, after Spinelli, everyone Katz brought up was just spitballing names that made sense due to being good coaches with ties to the State of Texas, AD Byrne, or Texas A&M.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Lots of talk here in H-Town about Josh Pastner. Makes sense based on his ties to Houston area recruiting (his family is considered the dean of AAU Basketball in Houston). Here is an article and blog entry from the Houston Chronicle this morning. I am going to check my Aggie sources, but I have not yet heard Boyle's name as a serious candidate.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texasam/7559542.html

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice...best-fit-to-replace-mark-turgeon-at-texas-am/

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

What ties does Boyle have to the State of Texas or A&M? Has he ever coached in Texas? Other than the fact that he's friends with Turgeon, I don't see the connection. And Turgeon just left.

8. SpacemanSpiff

It seems to be all about the connection to Turgeon. And like you said, that makes zero sense, considering that Turgeon just left. I get the A&M connection for some of the other candidates, but Boyle doesn't have that. I'm hoping it's just a name of an up and coming (and soon to be, long time successful CU) coach!

9. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

10. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

Chip Brown - my favorite reporter to hate - threw the Tad Boyle name out yesterday. I believe that his name is just out there because he seemingly turned the program around and we received lots of press about it. If A&M does offer we should match whatever they offer to keep him at CU. However if he wants to leave to coach at A&M then let him go, he's definitely not the right fit for us anyways. I dont think there's a chance in hell he even considers leaving for the aggies.

11. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

It's good for Tad's career to be mentioned. He'll probably parlet it into a nice pay increase down the road. But I think that pay raise will be at CU.

12. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Pretty sure Byrne, the AD at TAMU, was the AD at Oregon when Boyle was an assistant there, so there is some knowledge and past working relationship between the two.

13. SpacemanSpiff

14. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

15. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

would Boyle get a raise or an extension?

16. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

For sure with the new Pac-12 media deal paying us twice what we were earning in the Big 12 to begin with.

17. Mick Ronson

too early for an extension, imo. OT, a bit, i'd like to see a healthy chunk of that new Pac surplus money ear-marked for football assistants. Crazy Joe went to the NIT Final Four, if i recall. one year, reason to be very optimistic....but it's still just one season. need a larger data sample, as it were.