What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad's plays (or lack thereof) coming out of timeouts

NBDefektor

So of course I'm happy with our 2-0 trip out to Oregon, but this has been driving me nuts, and it has gotten so consistent that I need to hear some other input on it on these boards.

It seems every time we call a timeout when we need to either a) stop the bleeding, or b) set up a good play because we looked stagnant at a particularly important part of the game, we come out of the timeout with absolutely no idea what we're doing. This happened at least twice today, maybe three times. It also happened a few times in the Oregon game and I have noticed this pretty much throughout the season.

So anyone want to enlighten me? Look around at some of the great coaches out there. Whenever I catch a Michigan State game, Tom Izzo always comes out of a time out where they need a bucket and draws up the perfect set play. Is there any reason we don't at least TRY to diagram a play? Everything I've read during this season is how Tad "trusts" Skia to create a shot. Is that really the best we can do? It infuriates me to see us call a time out, sit through the commercial break, and then coming back to the game, we run around the perimeter and finally Skia has to force something with about 3 seconds left on the shot clock.

Anyway, this is just something that I wanted a dialog on, and I haven't seen too much about it around these parts. Someone please fill me in as to what the hell we are doing during timeouts, especially when we need a bucket so desperately. It's reached a point where I've pretty much come to accept the fact that we'll just let Skia shoot an ill-advised, forced shot with under 5 seconds to go in the shot clock...

So of course I'm happy with our 2-0 trip out to Oregon, but this has been driving me nuts, and it has gotten so consistent that I need to hear some other input on it on these boards.

It seems every time we call a timeout when we need to either a) stop the bleeding, or b) set up a good play because we looked stagnant at a particularly important part of the game, we come out of the timeout with absolutely no idea what we're doing. This happened at least twice today, maybe three times. It also happened a few times in the Oregon game and I have noticed this pretty much throughout the season.

So anyone want to enlighten me? Look around at some of the great coaches out there. Whenever I catch a Michigan State game, Tom Izzo always comes out of a time out where they need a bucket and draws up the perfect set play. Is there any reason we don't at least TRY to diagram a play? Everything I've read during this season is how Tad "trusts" Skia to create a shot. Is that really the best we can do? It infuriates me to see us call a time out, sit through the commercial break, and then coming back to the game, we run around the perimeter and finally Skia has to force something with about 3 seconds left on the shot clock.

Anyway, this is just something that I wanted a dialog on, and I haven't seen too much about it around these parts. Someone please fill me in as to what the hell we are doing during timeouts, especially when we need a bucket so desperately. It's reached a point where I've pretty much come to accept the fact that we'll just let Skia shoot an ill-advised, forced shot with under 5 seconds to go in the shot clock...

When we don't seem to have a 'play' at an important junture, really means that we don't have the players. I mean, basketball is simply about which team has players and who doesn't. Which team has a player that can create their own shot or drive to the rim to pick up a foul on an acrobatic finish. It may be oversimplified but the HC simply recruits and determines substitution patterns. How a coach affects the game during timeouts, aside from macroscopic adjustments, is very little.

Just my opinion.

When we don't seem to have a 'play' at an important junture, really means that we don't have the players. I mean, basketball is simply about which team has players and who doesn't. Which team has a player that can create their own shot or drive to the rim to pick up a foul on an acrobatic finish. It may be oversimplified but the HC simply recruits and determines substitution patterns. How a coach affects the game during timeouts, aside from macroscopic adjustments, is very little.

Just my opinion.

skia and Dinwiddie in the backcourt with a decent low post presence in Scott and a freak of an athlete in Roberson means to me that we have the players. I understand what you're saying, but I don't necessarily buy it. Have spence or skia come off some screens with options to shoot, drive or pass to a cutting Roberson. That should work, right?

Back