What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Take aways from last night, and the season as a whole

Tad definitely keeps the offense simple. And the team generally turns in a high shooting percentage while also getting to the line a lot. We haven't had a great shooter since Levi. Frankly, we didn't had great offensive talent last year. It wasn't even good. But we won. This year, it's good but it's still developing. I'm looking to next year for the offense and a team that will be talented enough to outscore teams on some nights when they don't have everything else going (see this year's UCLA team).

I really think everyone needs to step back and consider his expectations in light of what we have. Last season was a transition year -- senior leadership and middling talent. This season -- almost no upperclass leadership and much more talent. If Tad gets us to the tourney during these 2 seasons then it's an amazing job. We have no business being as good as we've been. I don't know that any other Pac-12 coach would have had this type of success with our roster. Being picked to finish 11th in the conference last year was appropriate based on a roster analysis. Being picked to finish 6th this year was a sign of respect for the program that trumped the roster analysis. The sum has been much greater than the parts. In 2013-14, we have much better parts.
NO kidding. :lol: Mostly agree with your take (where were you last night btw?) but still think they need some work offensively - it's pretty ugly out there, and we really struggle later in games as teams adjust to how simple it is.

NO kidding. :lol: Mostly agree with your take (where were you last night btw?) but still think they need some work offensively - it's pretty ugly out there, and we really struggle later in games as teams adjust to how simple it is.

I fell asleep. Nikita nudged me for the little Duder's bedtime and then asked me, "Weren't you going to the game?". At that point, I would have been late and I was still wiped out. I'll be there on Saturday. :lol:

1.) We are not as good as we think we we are./ That goes for both the players and the fans.

There's a gif for everything.
tumblr_lppyksxAfd1r1thdeo1_400.gif

There's a gif for everything.
tumblr_lppyksxAfd1r1thdeo1_400.gif

I am calm but when i read comments on here like some after the AZ game where we can "expect to beat anyone" I think it bears remembering this team is young, we dont have a killer instinct, and this probably is an NIT team this year, so people should cool their expectations a little.

Talton and Stalzer (that sounds like an ice skating duo out of Blades of Glory) looked better last night than they did on the road. Still don't see a legit backup PG, but it's an improvement.

This team is lost when they are pressed and trapped. The guy with the ball just doesn't get any help. Big issue when trying to hold on to a lead. They stall the ball at half court too much as well.

This team is lost when they are pressed and trapped. The guy with the ball just doesn't get any help. Big issue when trying to hold on to a lead. They stall the ball at half court too much as well.
watching our press break play was like watching a monty python skit where everyone falls over.

The fact that we can come out and play like a great team shows us that we are talented as anyone and therefore "good as we think we are," but the maturity isn't there. Playing each minute with a big lead the same as if it is a close game is tough, and I don't know how Tad should coach for it, but he's got to do something. I would even say it seems to be a weakness in his coaching at this point. When other teams press late in the game our guys can barely get the ball across midcourt, and they sure as hell can't get points in the paint.

Still don't see a legit backup PG, but it's an improvement.
To be completely honest, I dont see a legit starting PG either and I think it's been a major problem the last few years. We have tall, athletic guards who can run the floor well, but they struggle in the half court because they don't make good entry passes and can only create offense through dribble penetration. Dinwiddie is my favorite player but he's guilty of this and we all know about Booker's tendencies.

At some point, our greatest strength is also a major flaw. I thought it would get better with Scott, and it has, but we still struggle to get him the ball in good position and that's crucial to a good half court game.

The fact that we can come out and play like a great team shows us that we are talented as anyone and therefore "good as we think we are," but the maturity isn't there. Playing each minute with a big lead the same as if it is a close game is tough, and I don't know how Tad should coach for it, but he's got to do something. I would even say it seems to be a weakness in his coaching at this point. When other teams press late in the game our guys can barely get the ball across midcourt, and they sure as hell can't get points in the paint.

I think that's a good analysis. The talent shows, especially with the 6-man rotation. When they do as they're coached, they look like a Top 25 team. But they're young and the bench is short. They get away from that and they lack mental toughness (which shows up at the free throw line, when officiating isn't going their way, at the end of games, and when they face defensive pressure). It's a developing team and it has a long way to go. I don't think it's a coaching issue. As an example of a similar team in regard to veteran leadership, look at Kentucky. They have considerably more talent than CU. Coach Cal has proved it at 3 programs that he is an upper echelon coach. And they look poorly coached this year.

To be completely honest, I dont see a legit starting PG either and I think it's been a major problem the last few years. We have tall, athletic guards who can run the floor well, but they struggle in the half court because they don't make good entry passes and can only create offense through dribble penetration. Dinwiddie is my favorite player but he's guilty of this and we all know about Booker's tendencies.

At some point, our greatest strength is also a major flaw. I thought it would get better with Scott, and it has, but we still struggle to get him the ball in good position and that's crucial to a good half court game.

We're not missing a traditional PG so much as we are a 3rd ball handler. If you don't have that PG, you need 3 guys who can handle to be on the court at all times. We'll see that next year. This year, we're hoping to see the bench develop quickly. Otherwise, Chen is our 3rd ball handler and we have nothing reliable for when we need to spell him, Mayor or Ski.

Dinwidde's struggle in the half court isn't because he can't make an entry pass into the post it is because their isn't a cohesive system on offense. Dribble penetration is the only system in place. And Dinwiddie is not only a legit starting PG he has all the tools that NBA scouts want for the next level.

Dinwiddie is not a PG that drives the lane and dishes. When he drives, it's for his own shot. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not a typical PG trait. The one player who (used to) drive and dish was Ski. He's gotten away from that this year.

One thing they can't keep doing is

1. Dre inbounds to Dinwiddie
2. Dinwiddie gets trapped
3. Dinwiddie passes back to Dre
4. Ball is turned over underneath the basket

There needs to be a second option for Dinwiddie late in the game. It's getting ridiculous how easy it is to steal that pass.

Hmmm, Buffs are 12-4, with 4 games lost so far, all on the road, to teams whose collective W/L record is 36-6(?)

Their first official NCAA RPI is #6, And yet, the Buffs are "NOT good"?

Life in the fast lane gets really rough with this AB crowd!

I've watched a number of their games this year and have come to the following conclusions (so far). They aren't that good in many areas. Free throw shooting is horrendous. Ski plays too out of control. He needs to settle down and I think he'll be fine, but other than the Charleston Classic hasn't shown a willingness to do that. Bad shots and stupid turnovers which could easily be avoided if he'd get himself under control. Spencer should look to score more. He's got great ability but seems to defer too often. He could score close to 20 a night if he wanted to and this team needs scoring. Also, they seem slow to me. Too much playing below the rim. Take it to the hole strong and finish. As has been mentioned, their half court offense is pretty bad. They should be pushing tempo all the time-especially at home. When they do they look good. When they don't, they look like crap. They are still a couple of players away. SHT-well let's just say they'll be a much better team when he's gone. If they can find a capable big man and another shooter or two they could be scary good. Until then they are a very young team with a lot to learn. I think they'll make the tourney, but unless things change in a lot of ways they could be one and done.

Tad definitely keeps the offense simple. And the team generally turns in a high shooting percentage while also getting to the line a lot. We haven't had a great shooter since Levi. Frankly, we didn't had great offensive talent last year. It wasn't even good. But we won. This year, it's good but it's still developing. I'm looking to next year for the offense and a team that will be talented enough to outscore teams on some nights when they don't have everything else going (see this year's UCLA team).

I really think everyone needs to step back and consider his expectations in light of what we have. Last season was a transition year -- senior leadership and middling talent. This season -- almost no upperclass leadership and much more talent. If Tad gets us to the tourney during these 2 seasons then it's an amazing job. We have no business being as good as we've been. I don't know that any other Pac-12 coach would have had this type of success with our roster. Being picked to finish 11th in the conference last year was appropriate based on a roster analysis. Being picked to finish 6th this year was a sign of respect for the program that trumped the roster analysis. The sum has been much greater than the parts. In 2013-14, we have much better parts.

I was thinking about expectations after the ASU loss. Before the season began I think we all had resonable expectations of this team given its youth. Personally, my expectations of the team grew leaps and bounds after the Charleston tourny success. Maybe my expectations now exceed their capability.

While the team has the ability to perform at a very high level, it lacks a consistancy necessary to go the the next level.

Man, I wonder what this thread is like if that Chen shot is properly counted as good - even with the ASU loss.

Man, I wonder what this thread is like if that Chen shot is properly counted as good - even with the ASU loss.

even if we were 3-0 in the PAC:12, it doesn't take away that we have serious free throw issues and a hard time closing out games. We were complaining about that when we were 5-0.

even if we were 3-0 in the PAC:12, it doesn't take away that we have serious free throw issues and a hard time closing out games. We were complaining about that when we were 5-0.

I don't disagree with any of that, or the concerns voiced in this thread. I just wonder what the mood is like with the AZ win under our belt.

This board is suddenly manic over MBB. One day, we're on top the world, the next we're going to be lucky to see the NIT. This team is flawed in many respects, but we're still a team that no one will take for granted, will pick up more than a few wins the rest of the way, and should be in good position for the tourney. I've got my complaints too, but really, the only legitimate complaint I think we have is free throw shooting. Depth is an issue, but part of that is just the maturation of the program. Once Tad can string together 4 or 5 recruiting classes and build a pipeline, we'll have much consistent depth.

The concern over meltdown and not knowing how to face pressure at the end of games through press, paired with the stubborn refusal to improve free throws, would still be there even had Chen's shot been correctly counted. We shouldn't have been in the position to need a buzzer beater against UA to begin with.

Losing one of our most "winnables" at ASU, and then scraping out a home victory over a 6-10 team gives every right for a bit of concern, IMO. No need to panic, but needless to say, we're on very thin ice here if we don't get the W over UCLA.

Eh. People analyze purely on emotions. Tomorrow when Colorado beats UCLA everybody will think the sky is the limit again. Colorado is simply a young team that is probably a tournament team that has a lot of growing up to do.

Eh. People analyze purely on emotions. Tomorrow when Colorado beats UCLA everybody will think the sky is the limit again. Colorado is simply a young team that is probably a tournament team that has a lot of growing up to do.
Well said.

And if CU loses to UCLA tomorrow, people have every right to start freaking out (not long term, but for how this season and its high hopes could deteriorate alarmingly fast).

I personally think we win against UCLA in a choppy affair, but the possibility of 11-7 (1-5) looming on the horizon is not a pleasant thought.

I have a bad feeling about today's game. If we play like we did on Thursday, we're toast.

Back