What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Take your hand off the panic button....

I like the original post.

We are coming from deep in the basement. What I think we should look for is improvement year over year. And as long as we are seeing that we should stay behind Mac. And that doesn’t necessarily mean improvement in the won and lost column…right away. I definitely think last year was an improvement over year one and it remains to be seen whether this year will be an improvement over last year. But it will take a full season to make that call. We can’t be compared to other teams in the pac 12 that have replaced coaches because they didn’t have as far to travel as we do.

So far, year over year there have been improvements in recruiting, toughness, strength, cohesiveness, leadership, depth, player development, and cooperation with the university. These are all foundation improvements. The wins will come. I am not close to announcing Mac a failure. What he needs is more support. The replace Mac conversation should be benched for a couple years.
I don't think anyone on this board doesn't believe Mac should be given ample time...they just disagree on what ample means. Most here would say keep Mac if wins 4-5+ games. However, after 3 years, there has to be improvement in the WL column...has to be. This is big time business and RG can't keep asking donors for money without an improvement in the W column. Another 0-fer in conference will greatly increase Mac's chance of getting fired. There's also the lesson we got by keeping what's his name an extra year - so many people will be quicker to pull the trigger had Bone not ****ed that one up.

So in RG's mind...what does improvement need to look like for him to keep Mac? WTF knows?...I assume RG and Mac have talked but again...who knows. Part of me says RG will demand winning sooner than later...another part says he knows how long it takes to rebuild and will give maybe more time than some of us would. Does he think Mac is the guy to do it? Who knows...Mac's not his guy, which some people put a lot of stock in. And we will never know...RG can't publicly tell us his plans...all we'll get is rah-rah stuff...which is appropriate.

So being completely in the dark leaves us with meandering posts like this one from people who have way too much time on their hands :LOL:

I don't think anyone on this board doesn't believe Mac should be given ample time...they just disagree on what ample means. Most here would say keep Mac if wins 4-5+ games. However, after 3 years, there has to be improvement in the WL column...has to be. This is big time business and RG can't keep asking donors for money without an improvement in the W column. Another 0-fer in conference will greatly increase Mac's chance of getting fired. There's also the lesson we got by keeping what's his name an extra year - so many people will be quicker to pull the trigger had Bone not ****ed that one up.

So in RG's mind...what does improvement need to look like for him to keep Mac? WTF knows?...I assume RG and Mac have talked but again...who knows. Part of me says RG will demand winning sooner than later...another part says he knows how long it takes to rebuild and will give maybe more time than some of us would. Does he think Mac is the guy to do it? Who knows...Mac's not his guy, which some people put a lot of stock in. And we will never know...RG can't publicly tell us his plans...all we'll get is rah-rah stuff...which is appropriate.

So being completely in the dark leaves us with meandering posts like this one from people who have way too much time on their hands :LOL:

Good points. And I like having that decision with Rick George.

I think my point was that there is a lot of behind the seens grunt work necessary to turn around a loosing culture. And even if that work is being done it sometimes takes a while to bare fruit. The worse the losing culture, the longer it takes. Ours ran pretty deep. But you are right, RG will make the right call at the right time.

My 2 cents: Stability and coaching politics favor giving a coach at least 4 years. This is even more important when you canned your last coach after 2 years. There are exceptions obviously, like a scandal or an unmistakeable downward trend. I don't think any of those exceptions exist in Boulder, though an 0-fer in conference 2 years in a row may be close. In short, I think MM stays.

Whatever happens, though, should RG contemplate hiring a new coach in the near future, he must have a short list in mind and be relatively assured that he can land a coach he thinks is a clear upgrade. If not, then he can't pull the trigger.

So RG might listen to Saban's advice on whom to cherrypick off Saban's staff.

Kiffin!

I like the original post.

We are coming from deep in the basement. What I think we should look for is improvement year over year. And as long as we are seeing that we should stay behind Mac. And that doesn’t necessarily mean improvement in the won and lost column…right away. I definitely think last year was an improvement over year one and it remains to be seen whether this year will be an improvement over last year. But it will take a full season to make that call. We can’t be compared to other teams in the pac 12 that have replaced coaches because they didn’t have as far to travel as we do.

So far, year over year there have been improvements in recruiting, toughness, strength, cohesiveness, leadership, depth, player development, and cooperation with the university. These are all foundation improvements. The wins will come. I am not close to announcing Mac a failure. What he needs is more support. The replace Mac conversation should be benched for a couple years.
I think those are all debatable points...recruiting may have improved slightly this year with Leavitt but overall it appears that we are a long way from competing with our peers across the country on recruiting. People on this board have all complained about the other areas you claim have improved. I have no idea what cooperation with the University means...

My 2 cents: Stability and coaching politics favor giving a coach at least 4 years. This is even more important when you canned your last coach after 2 years. There are exceptions obviously, like a scandal or an unmistakeable downward trend. I don't think any of those exceptions exist in Boulder, though an 0-fer in conference 2 years in a row may be close. In short, I think MM stays.

Whatever happens, though, should RG contemplate hiring a new coach in the near future, he must have a short list in mind and be relatively assured that he can land a coach he thinks is a clear upgrade. If not, then he can't pull the trigger.

I think a lot of RG's decision making will be around financials and attendance...we cannot continue to support the program with attendance averaging in the 35 thousand per game range. We need to be back in the 48K range.

As BnG says, it is going to come down to economics. He goes offer in conference again and we end with 3 wins this year, even if we get to just 4 wins, economics are going to require that something be done. Facilities built check. Endowment being worked on check. Progress in the football program (with less than 5 wins) no check. It may hurt to go this route but my guess is that the MM era will end. With the injuries mounting, I am thinking it is better than 50/50 that this era ends. I do not see 2 more wins. Maybe WSU but OSU is showing some life. AZ maybe but not convinced. Someday we will have filled our contract requirements with the devil for the Natty we won and be released from purgatory.

Personally I think MM is back next year if the team doesn't go Embree style the rest of the year. I'm not entirely against this either.

I re-watched the Oregon game. My DVR quit 30 minutes after the scheduled broadcast time. That means the Buffs were only down 24-17. CU outplayed/heads up against Oregon all the way until Sefo's fumble. After that it was a differerent story.

CU was outgained 207 to 45 after that fumble.
CUs time of possession advantage went out the window being forced to pass and not eat clock. Oregon had 13:30 to 7:30 rough advantage after that fumble.

I forgot how crisp our offense looked on that drive and how it made some big plays most of the night and played very well. Problem is, getting down 2 scores is always a killer, especially to a team with 20 more 4-star recruits, more team speed and strength at the point of attack. We played Oregon tough. We could beat them with the turnover free game we all know we needed. It's not too much to ask. Our run game needs a kick start. We were dead other than the Powell TD and a couple nice runs by Lindsay. My favorite play was the misdirection where the guy motioned/fly and it appeared to be headed to that side and the RB (Powell or Lindsay) would go along the LOS opposite and have 5-15 yards to run after an easy catch. Easy first down 3x out of 3 tries. Much more effective than that stupid RB screen or pass 5 yards back in the flat.

**Additional: Unfortunately after that fumble, it brought up a lot of ugly memories of CU-CSU of 2014 and not being able to stop anything and knowing the game was over very early in the 4th quarter.

has an FBS coach ever been retained after going winless in conference for back-to-back years?

Greg Schiano, Rutgers. his first two seasons (2001 - 02) he went win-less in Big East play but went on to lead the Scarlet Knights to a bowl win and top 25 ranking.

I don't know.
personally I'd rather retain MM another year or two instead of getting rid of him after 2 years.
We have gone thorugh a ton of coaches in the past 6-8 years...what does that tell recruits? If recruits
cannot count on the coach who recruited them to be there, they will be less than ready to sign.

i know we need some wins, I get it...but if we bring in a coach (other than a TOP tier coach with a proven name and record)
then we are just spinning our wheels.

Here's to hoping we can beat a few teams (including CAL ... see the other thread. ;) ) this year so we don't have to worry about this.

NOTE: the cal thing is a joke guys

this is year 3, not year 2.

it's my party and i'll panic if i want to, panic if i want to, panic if i want to...

we need some WINS. now. we need wins like i need a bourbon on a saturday night.

this is year 3, not year 2.

it's my party and i'll panic if i want to, panic if i want to, panic if i want to...

we need some WINS. now. we need wins like i need a bourbon on a saturday night.

Bourbon : your wife's attractiveness :: wins : Buffs fans' happiness

I don't know.
personally I'd rather retain MM another year or two instead of getting rid of him after 2 years.
We have gone thorugh a ton of coaches in the past 6-8 years...what does that tell recruits? If recruits
cannot count on the coach who recruited them to be there, they will be less than ready to sign.

i know we need some wins, I get it...but if we bring in a coach (other than a TOP tier coach with a proven name and record)
then we are just spinning our wheels.

Here's to hoping we can beat a few teams (including CAL ... see the other thread. ;) ) this year so we don't have to worry about this.

NOTE: the cal thing is a joke guys
I'm with you. I'm not sure that HCMM can take us where we want to go but I cringe every time I read an article about a player going through 3 different coaches in his 5-6 years as a player (i.e. the recent article on Bell). We gave MikeMac 5 years on his contract so I'm not really opposed to seeing him get into his 4th (I would say 5th but I remember HaLkins last season).

I re-watched the Oregon game. My DVR quit 30 minutes after the scheduled broadcast time. That means the Buffs were only down 24-17. CU outplayed/heads up against Oregon all the way until Sefo's fumble. After that it was a differerent story.

CU was outgained 207 to 45 after that fumble.
CUs time of possession advantage went out the window being forced to pass and not eat clock. Oregon had 13:30 to 7:30 rough advantage after that fumble.

I forgot how crisp our offense looked on that drive and how it made some big plays most of the night and played very well. Problem is, getting down 2 scores is always a killer, especially to a team with 20 more 4-star recruits, more team speed and strength at the point of attack. We played Oregon tough. We could beat them with the turnover free game we all know we needed. It's not too much to ask. Our run game needs a kick start. We were dead other than the Powell TD and a couple nice runs by Lindsay. My favorite play was the misdirection where the guy motioned/fly and it appeared to be headed to that side and the RB (Powell or Lindsay) would go along the LOS opposite and have 5-15 yards to run after an easy catch. Easy first down 3x out of 3 tries. Much more effective than that stupid RB screen or pass 5 yards back in the flat.

**Additional: Unfortunately after that fumble, it brought up a lot of ugly memories of CU-CSU of 2014 and not being able to stop anything and knowing the game was over very early in the 4th quarter.
I rewatched it too and walked away feeling better about our performance. We still have a ways to go, but I don't think the complete meltdown on AB is justified...predictable, but not justified IMO. To me it looked like we just got tired, particularly the D, but we played a physical team pretty well up to Sefo's fumble. Not to say Neinas and Bernardi don't need to go, as those 2 units have really sucked this year and have clearly (IMO) been the weakest links, but like I said, rewatching helped me feel better about our Buffs. Doesn't mean I feel good about ASU though...on the road...ugh.

Yeah we just didn't stop Royce freeman. If we had contained the run and forced the pass I think we win that game. If we have two less turnovers we win that game.

If we were heathy we win that game.

Macintyre is now 1-24 in his career as a head coach against power conference teams.

In the history of college football, minimum 25 games, that's got to be some kind of record for the worst win percentage, right?

This all seems pretty worthy of the panic button to me...

Macintyre is now 1-24 in his career as a head coach against power conference teams.

In the history of college football, minimum 25 games, that's got to be some kind of record for the worst win percentage, right?

Nope.

Why would you include SJSU games? Fairly disingenuous. 1-18 since CU

Last edited:
Back