What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

TCU - Boise State quandry

Like OU in 2007?

I find the disdain for Boise, and TCU to a lesser extent, hilarious. Boise has tried to play BCS schools in non conference games but the BCS schools want no part of Boise. They are stuck in their conference, nothing they can do about. They have now twice run the table in 4 years. Could they survive in the B12? Probably. Shoot, they are e better team than KU, atm, KSU, Baylor, ISU and CU with out a doubt and would be on par with OSU, Mizzou, TT and NU. Same could be said for TCU.

They had a month to prepare for one game, if there was a playoff bracket where they had to play 2 or 3 games against superior opponents they would be doomed.

I have to say the crowd shots last night made me remember why I loved going to TCU games and being on the TCU campus. Wow.

I know this has been argued ad nauseum, but look at BSU's schedule. Their opponent's overall record was 84-91. If you take away Oregon and TCU, that drops to 62-87. Sure they get credit for beating Oregon (nationally televised, at home, first game of season) and TCU (Bowl game after 4 weeks off). But the meat of their schedule was really easy. I think it is a whole different deal when you only have a season with two tough games. They were pretty much able to slide through the season without a lot of stress and without getting beaten up.

What does the combined record of Texas look like?

The Texas 2009 Big 12 conference matchups were not nearly as challenging as 2008, and UT's OOC schedule was a creampuff filled joke.
Nebraska played Texas as closely as anyone. The Colt McCoy lead 2009 Longhorns look nothing like the 2005 Vince Young lead team.

Based on what I saw last night compaired with what I saw when UT played Nebraska and Colorado, I suspect that Boise has a 40-50% chance of beating the Longhorns.

Look, the Boise players don't control their strength of schedule. They won every time they stepped on the field. They very well could be the #2 team in the country and have no way other than conjecture to proove whether they are the best in the land.

They had a month to prepare for one game, if there was a playoff bracket where they had to play 2 or 3 games against superior opponents they would be doomed.

All I know is that I'd kill for the buffs to have two undefeated seasons and tow BCS bowl wins in the last 4 years. I wouldn't care how they got there, or what others thought. BSU has beaten the teams put in front of them, not much more you could ask of them.

The Texas 2009 Big 12 conference matchups were not nearly as challenging as 2008, and UT's OOC schedule was a creampuff filled joke.
Nebraska played Texas as closely as anyone. The Colt McCoy lead 2009 Longhorns look nothing like the 2005 Vince Young lead team.

Based on what I saw last night compaired with what I saw when UT played Nebraska and Colorado, I suspect that Boise has a 40-50% chance of beating the Longhorns.

Look, the Boise players don't control their strength of schedule. They won every time they stepped on the field. They very well could be the #2 team in the country and have no way other than conjecture to proove whether they are the best in the land.

Fair enough, but taking it one more level, you should look at the schedules of their opponents. Texas played their OOC schedule, which wasn't tough, plus the Big XII. I'd suggest that each one of Texas' Big XII opponents had much tougher schedules than BSU's WAC opponents. The level of competition isn't even comparable.

Fair enough, but taking it one more level, you should look at the schedules of their opponents. Texas played their OOC schedule, which wasn't tough, plus the Big XII. I'd suggest that each one of Texas' Big XII opponents had much tougher schedules than BSU's WAC opponents. The level of competition isn't even comparable.

This is the kind of conjecture you have to resort to when the BCS refuses to allow teams like BSU and TCU to play against schools from BCS conferences and settle the issue on the field. Possibly because the last time they did, BCS embarassed them by beating a big-time school...

This is the kind of conjecture you have to resort to when the BCS refuses to allow teams like BSU and TCU to play against schools from BCS conferences and settle the issue on the field. Possibly because the last time they did, BCS embarassed them by beating a big-time school...

Quite true, and a BCS also ran team called Georgia humiliated that year's "BCS buster" Hawaii....You can't have it both ways.

I have to say the crowd shots last night made me remember why I loved going to TCU games and being on the TCU campus. Wow.

In****ingdeed. Then Fox had to ruin it by showing Boise's band "dancers" in those weird looking leotard thingies.

In fairness to Hawaii, Cinncinnati didn't fair much better against Florida.

Aside from the television market arguement, is the Big East really more deserving of BCS status than the MWC or WAC?

I've got to say that TCU's helmets had a strange but different paint pattern to them. They may have looked better if they had a different logo or something besides the letters TCU?

I've got to say that TCU's helmets had a strange but different paint pattern to them. They may have looked better if they had a different logo or something besides the letters TCU?

I'm cutting some slack regarding TCU's fuggly reptile skin helmets mostly because of the disaster that was the Boise band's halftime show. When it comes to an eyesore, the BSU ban stole all of the thunder.

In fairness to Hawaii, Cinncinnati didn't fair much better against Florida.

Aside from the television market arguement, is the Big East really more deserving of BCS status than the MWC or WAC?

Since the Big East lost Miami et al to the ACC thats a valid point because they are on their way to becoming an irrelavent BBall only conference.

I agree that Cincy looked bad but they lost their head play caller and that probably took some wind out of their sails.

Hawaii got schooled.

As for BSU v TCU I think it just came dow to how the selections played out. You knew Sugar was gonna take UF when they lost Bama. No surprise, given the size of the crowd, that the Fiesta would take BSU. It would have been more enjoyable to see BSU or TCU beat a BCS team but oh well. Im not gonna take anything away from them for turning in a good year. Both teams probably would beat the Buffs. :(

Like OU in 2007?

I find the disdain for Boise, and TCU to a lesser extent, hilarious. Boise has tried to play BCS schools in non conference games but the BCS schools want no part of Boise. They are stuck in their conference, nothing they can do about. They have now twice run the table in 4 years. Could they survive in the B12? Probably. Shoot, they are e better team than KU, atm, KSU, Baylor, ISU and CU with out a doubt and would be on par with OSU, Mizzou, TT and NU. Same could be said for TCU.

Sure, they could survive in the Big 12, and it would be to the tune of 8-4 or 9-3. Which is what they really are, somewhere around #10-15 in the country. They're a very good team, just not deserving of being in the national championship discussion. Even the Boise player who was interviewed after the game said they didn't belong in the discussion.

Sure, they could survive in the Big 12, and it would be to the tune of 8-4 or 9-3. Which is what they really are, somewhere around #10-15 in the country. They're a very good team, just not deserving of being in the national championship discussion. Even the Boise player who was interviewed after the game said they didn't belong in the discussion.

I hate to break it to you buddy but the NCAA has done a very efficient job in making it harder for the haves of the world (OU, NU, USC, Alabama) to remain dominant. This is why the TCUs, ECUs, USFs, and BSUs of the world are getting better and the CUs of the world are getting worse. In fact, our coach is paid less then the coaches at some of those other schools.

I'm cutting some slack regarding TCU's fuggly reptile skin helmets mostly because of the disaster that was the Boise band's halftime show. When it comes to an eyesore, the BSU ban stole all of the thunder.

I don't know. I thought the drum major had something going for her. I can't find a picture from last night's performance, but google gave me a practice one:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1154/1206222435_580c0e1760.jpg?v=1187824835\

Edit: couldn't get the embed deal to work so you have to click.

I always disliked this completely bogus argument. It's not about what they can or cannot control. It's about who and how they played. And while they beat all the teams they played, they also nearly lost to some poor teams. As someone else indicated, there is little doubt would not be so highly ranked if they played in a better conference.

As an aside, the NCAA should "level the playing field" and make them play home games on green grass (or turf), like everyone else.

I agree that Cincy looked bad but they lost their head play caller and that probably took some wind out of their sails.

Hawaii got schooled. :(

I don't see the Cincinnati situation as being all that different from Hawaii's. Keep in mind that the 2008 Sugar Bowl was played within days of Hawaii coach June Jones accepting an offer to coach at SMU. Speculation about where June Jones might land after the season was common. The tension that Jones maintained with the Hawaii AD was all over the papers through the whole season. Those Hawaii players were aware of the coaching upheaval going into the Superdome. It's possible that Hawaii would have played better against UGA if Jones and the AD weren't at loggerheads and was hellbent on continuing to coach the Warriors.

I don't know. I thought the drum major had something going for her. I can't find a picture from last night's performance, but google gave me a practice one:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1154/1206222435_580c0e1760.jpg?v=1187824835\

Edit: couldn't get the embed deal to work so you have to click.

You are right about the drum major. She would have blended in nicely among the TCU cheerleaders if she could manage the boot scoot boogie dance in a pair of hot pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
They'll have a chance to show everyone next year if they are legit. They really don't lose anyone. They also play Oregon state and at Va. Tech. If they are ranked high enough to start the season they might just finish in the top 2. I don't see it happening, but i hope it does.

Back