What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"Teams Reluctant to play in Boulder"- Tad Boyle

I'd be afraid CU would schedule KU at The Can. And that would suck.

:lol: You are correct.

A big no to scheduling games at The Can. No point in it unless you host an annual early season tourney. There are plenty of neutral court games to be had in Nov/Dec out of state.

It is not just an RPI bump. A school can get the same/similar bump from us or Duke/Kentucky/Kansas but you play those teams and the game will end up on espn or ESPN 2. If you beat that powerhouse it might be the lead story on sports center. We just don't have the same publicity effect.

I agree but there are only so many games to be had against the top teams in the country. And are those top teams going to be okay with a home and home... against a mid major? KU's certainly not against Wichita State.

I agree but there are only so many games to be had against the top teams in the country. And are those top teams going to be okay with a home and home... against a mid major? KU's certainly not against Wichita State.

Good points. I really hope we play Wichita State next year. They are going to be really good. But we only need one more top 50 RPI in OOC. We need like 5 more 100 to 200 RPI games.

If we want quality RPI we need to examine the WCC: Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU and almost anyone in the MVC. There's also going to be teams frantically looking for games after the conference breakups/shifts in the east. Take advantage of it.

Creighton, UNM, BYU, Wichita, Utah St, Texas Tech, UTEP, UNLV, would all be good games to get. All are reasonably close and would provide solid RPI.

Reactions: aik
I have to say that I'm really intrigued by the "neutral court" games that we're planning. One on the East and one on the West. I'm wondering if it's going to be neutral (as in two teams not from the area) or "neutral" (as in playing Duke in Philadelphia).

Boyle tried to set up a series with the Wildcats, but his friend John Calipari wasn't interested in playing the Buffs outside of the Blue Grass State.
"We were trying to get a game with Kentucky. That was on the docket, but the deal breaker was them coming to Boulder," Boyle said. "That was not going to happen, at least while (Calipari) was the coach there. He kind of laughed me off."

Lets play them in Kentucky. Why not

I have to say that I'm really intrigued by the "neutral court" games that we're planning. One on the East and one on the West. I'm wondering if it's going to be neutral (as in two teams not from the area) or "neutral" (as in playing Duke in Philadelphia).

If it's a "neutral" like playing UT in Houston like UCLA did last year, I'm still all for it.

Because we are no longer a small time program. Boyle has now built us into a legitimate annual NCAA Tourney team in a major conference. Let's start to act like it.

What? It's a great RPI boost with a decent chance to pull out the W on the road

What? It's a great RPI boost with a decent chance to pull out the W on the road

So you are cool with us doing 1 and done's on the road for other programs? You liked the Ohio State ass raping cash grab we did with the football program in 2011? No thanks. If UK wants to play us, they can do so at a neutral site or do a home and home.

So you are cool with us doing 1 and done's on the road for other programs? You liked the Ohio State ass raping cash grab we did with the football program in 2011? No thanks. If UK wants to play us, they can do so at a neutral site or do a home and home.

Kentucky is arguably cbb's best team ever and a legit title contender next year. We'd be lucky to play them, we may not get another chance to beat them in the near future. No brainer imo

Good points. I really hope we play Wichita State next year. They are going to be really good. But we only need one more top 50 RPI in OOC. We need like 5 more 100 to 200 RPI games.

Last year, we benefitted in scheduling CSU (top 20 RPI win), Wyoming/Air Force (Top 100 RPI wins). All 3 teams lose at least their top 3 scorers, so it wouldn't be surprising if all 3 teams have a pretty major drop off. Perhaps out of the top 100 RPI. Really, the only game that we have scheduled that is likely to impress the committee at all is KU. Central Arkansas is a team that might have an RPI in the 101-200 range. Still haven't heard who the two smaller schools are that CU is playing at CEC. But safe to assume it is not likely a team that is going to be a RPI boost. We need to play some teams in the RPI 51-100 range at least. Had 5 last year.

I like that we are attempting to schedule one team on the west coast and one on the east coast. Hopefully it's against a team with NCAA tourney aspirations. Would be nice to get at least one more good team to come into Boulder and one more team perhaps in a true road game. I'd be okay with playing Texas, even on the road as they should be very down this year. Exposure in Texas is good for us. Wouldn't be surprised to see us play SMU.

I would have been okay with scheduling Kentucky (especially early in the season when they will be the most prime for an upset.) Yeah, it would be better if they had agreed to a game in Boulder or Denver at the worst down the line... but we're not at Kentucky's level yet. It really doesn't benefit Kentucky either. But we benefit from a game against them as it would get national exposure and it would be a hostile road crowd

Ideally, I'd like to see some combination of:

Gonzaga or St Mary's
SMU or Texas
Wichita State
New Mexico

roland,

do you actually St Mary's wanting to play us? It seems that their scheduling mantra is to stay away from RPI top 50 teams and feast on the 101 to 200 teams. What teams on your list realistically are looking for the same RPI bump that we are?

Creighton, UNM, BYU, Wichita, Utah St, Texas Tech, UTEP, UNLV, would all be good games to get. All are reasonably close and would provide solid RPI.

I like this list a lot. Also, Gonzaga will schedule anybody and I would love to beat the crap out of them. One big 10 or big 12 team/year would be cool too.

Last year, we benefitted in scheduling CSU (top 20 RPI win), Wyoming/Air Force (Top 100 RPI wins). All 3 teams lose at least their top 3 scorers, so it wouldn't be surprising if all 3 teams have a pretty major drop off. Perhaps out of the top 100 RPI. Really, the only game that we have scheduled that is likely to impress the committee at all is KU. Central Arkansas is a team that might have an RPI in the 101-200 range. Still haven't heard who the two smaller schools are that CU is playing at CEC. But safe to assume it is not likely a team that is going to be a RPI boost. We need to play some teams in the RPI 51-100 range at least. Had 5 last year.

I like that we are attempting to schedule one team on the west coast and one on the east coast. Hopefully it's against a team with NCAA tourney aspirations. Would be nice to get at least one more good team to come into Boulder and one more team perhaps in a true road game. I'd be okay with playing Texas, even on the road as they should be very down this year. Exposure in Texas is good for us. Wouldn't be surprised to see us play SMU.

I would have been okay with scheduling Kentucky (especially early in the season when they will be the most prime for an upset.) Yeah, it would be better if they had agreed to a game in Boulder or Denver at the worst down the line... but we're not at Kentucky's level yet. It really doesn't benefit Kentucky either. But we benefit from a game against them as it would get national exposure and it would be a hostile road crowd

Ideally, I'd like to see some combination of:

Gonzaga or St Mary's
SMU or Texas
Wichita State
New Mexico

Tad refuses to play the Terps because of his ties with Turgeon, would he be willing to play his former college coach/mentor?

Gonzaga in Los Angles would be good to help us keep a strong foot in Southern California
Playing in Texas would also seem to be logical since Boyle likes to recruit there as well

Obviously the answer to all of our problems is to move the CU/CSU game to the Pepsi Center.

St Joe's would probably do another home and away with us since they won both last time. How about playing Illinois or another midwest team in Chicago. Home and away with Minnesota?

I think the Big 10 is in an agreement with the ACC, but we could probably set up something with the MWC. The MWC is always talking about how they're just as good as the PAC, let them prove it. Do a home/home challenge every year. It would suck for us, who already play three MWC teams every year.

I think the Big 10 is in an agreement with the ACC, but we could probably set up something with the MWC. The MWC is always talking about how they're just as good as the PAC, let them prove it. Do a home/home challenge every year. It would suck for us, who already play three MWC teams every year.

Much of the conference plays multiple games against the MWC already. I'm not sure that formalizing it would gain much.

I think CU needs to play more games against the MVC and WCC.

roland,

do you actually St Mary's wanting to play us? It seems that their scheduling mantra is to stay away from RPI top 50 teams and feast on the 101 to 200 teams. What teams on your list realistically are looking for the same RPI bump that we are?

I think Gonzaga will likely be down next year, so from an RPI view they might need to have 1-2 tougher games. Not saying they would play CU, but obviously a West Coast team. Another game on the West Coast is still good for CU, if they could get it. Would think Gonzaga in Seattle would be more likely though. They've had no issue playing quality programs (road game at Oklahoma State, game in Seattle for KSU last season).

And probably right that Boyle might hesitate to play against his former coach. I'd think Gonzaga, Wichita State would be possible games if CU wanted them. No idea what the East Coast game would be that Boyle referenced. Would love it if it was VCU or any of the new Big East teams. Temple would be a very quality game

And probably right that Boyle might hesitate to play against his former coach. I'd think Gonzaga, Wichita State would be possible games if CU wanted them. No idea what the East Coast game would be that Boyle referenced. Would love it if it was VCU or any of the new Big East teams. Temple would be a very quality game

That's why I was wondering if it was a "neutral" game or a neutral game. For all we know, the east coast game could be CU vs UNLV.

With no pre-season tournament, I'm glad we're going neutral for a few games though to get the kids ready.

This game might even sell out at the Pepsi Center

So what if it did? It would be a loser for the CU AD the same way the football game at Invesco is. The only thing that makes the Invesco game worthwhile is the fact it adds a seventh "home" game to the schedule every year. Otherwise, the CU allotment at Invesco is less than the capacity at Folsom.

Much of the conference plays multiple games against the MWC already. I'm not sure that formalizing it would gain much.

[/b]I think CU needs to play more games against the MVC and WCC.[/b]

:nod: Agree. Add in the A-10 as well.

Back