What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ted Miller and Pac-12 attendance

I get mad at such things because I take a rather longview of just about everything and don't base my opinions on a subject based solely on the last five minutes/five months/five years. For example, SNL may "suck" right now but I watch it because it has been a great show. SNL is still a great show because it has been a great show, the last handful of years notwithstanding. Same with CU. Unfortunately, our society gets bored every three minutes these days - and by extension, has a shorter memory - and the media mirrors the trend.

It illustrates that the media/espn/whomever isnt really interested in taking the time in the off season to research teams. They just take last years standings, regurgitate, collect their paycheck and go home

Anyone know where the buffs seniors landed in Pac-12 recruiting rankings back in 07, or our juniors in 08? try #4 and 3 respectively, even with the losses of some notable names, DS LK PTG, we're sporting alot more talent than anyone in the pac suspects, we just needed a new coaching staff.....

So by this logic, you think that when sportswriters are writing about the Buffs (or Nebraska, or Miami, or Navy, or Harvard if you go back far enough) they should alter their predictions for the upcoming season based not on the players on the team, or the coaches coaching them, but on the institutional success of the program historically?

How far back should they go? The University of Chicago won a National Championship in 1905 -- should we watch out for the Maroons next year?

It's not that. I think just about all of us accept the fact that just about every national sportswriter is going to base his predictions for next season on the record the previous season... then tweak it a bit based on the number of starters returning, whether you have a top QB, and how the team finished last year. That's cool.

What bothers Buff fans is that we read stuff calling us "bottom feeders" or "cellar dwellers". We made one bad coaching hire that resulted in a bad 5-year stretch - but we never finished last in the Big 12 during that time despite the impression the writers give. And we still represented the Big 12 North in 4 of the last 10 Big 12 Championship games, won 1 Big 12 title in the last decade, have both a National Championship and Heisman winner in the past 25 years along with a number of national award winners and finalists, more 1st team all-americans in our history than programs like Florida (I think we're at 30 now), are top 20 in all time wins and top 25 in all time win percentage. From a prestige standpoint, it's not a difficult argument to make that CU is right behind USC as the #2 program in the conference if you take a longer view than just the 2000s. And even for just the past 10 years, we're in the conversation (despite Hawkins and a witch hunt "scandal" that preceded him). We'll be back soon to our usual place among the best programs in the nation.

For starters, the west coast media doesn't know the CU players that well and that will change when the Buffs beat a Pac-12 team on the west coast. Right now I'd say that only Stewart and Miller will get some first team preseason Pac-12 team honors. The rest of the Buffs probably will fly under the radar and I do not recall very many years (if any at all) where the Buffs really flew under the radar like they are right now.

I get mad at such things because I take a rather longview of just about everything and don't base my opinions on a subject based solely on the last five minutes/five months/five years. For example, SNL may "suck" right now but I watch it because it has been a great show. SNL is still a great show because it has been a great show, the last handful of years notwithstanding. Same with CU. Unfortunately, our society gets bored every three minutes these days - and by extension, has a shorter memory - and the media mirrors the trend.

Dude, SNL sucks. CU sucks until proven otherwise.

The thing that urks me about the writers is that they act like CU has historically been a bad team, when they haven't. I know a NC in 1990 doesn't or a heisman winner in 1994 or a Big 12 title in 2001 doesn't mean much of anything now but Ubben acted like CU has always been garbage.

I guess it is fitting that you spelled irk, urk, considering your new avatar. Or maybe it just Urkeled you.

copied from an espn blog:

"only one school in the PAC12 has played more college football games than CU (Cal) and only one school in the PAC12 has won more football games than CU (USC). We've won a national championship, a Heisman trophy, and produced 30 consensus All-Americans. Oregon? No, no, and 4. Congratulations, Duckies, on your newfound success. Do it for a couple decades and then come talk to the Buffs."

so, yeah, we are just.like.the.university of chicago, who hasn't even played major college football in about 80 years.

but, other than that, hell yeah, it is a great analogy.

It's not that. I think just about all of us accept the fact that just about every national sportswriter is going to base his predictions for next season on the record the previous season... then tweak it a bit based on the number of starters returning, whether you have a top QB, and how the team finished last year. That's cool.

What bothers Buff fans is that we read stuff calling us "bottom feeders" or "cellar dwellers". We made one bad coaching hire that resulted in a bad 5-year stretch - but we never finished last in the Big 12 during that time despite the impression the writers give. And we still represented the Big 12 North in 4 of the last 10 Big 12 Championship games, won 1 Big 12 title in the last decade, have both a National Championship and Heisman winner in the past 25 years along with a number of national award winners and finalists, more 1st team all-americans in our history than programs like Florida (I think we're at 30 now), are top 20 in all time wins and top 25 in all time win percentage. From a prestige standpoint, it's not a difficult argument to make that CU is right behind USC as the #2 program in the conference if you take a longer view than just the 2000s. And even for just the past 10 years, we're in the conversation (despite Hawkins and a witch hunt "scandal" that preceded him). We'll be back soon to our usual place among the best programs in the nation.

We mostly agree on this. Hawkins was a disaster for you guys, not just on the field but in the media perception of the program as well (which does matter, since the preseason rankings are so importnat. It also matters for recruiting).

I have no doubt that now that he is gone the Buffs will begin climbing in the rankings.

Colorado and Washington are in remarkably similar situations, which I think is interesting. Traditionally strong programs despite not being in recruiting hotbeds, rabid fans/alumni, both made terrible coaching hires at key times 5-10 years removed from National Championships. They are a couple of years ahead of you on this curve, but are doing well. I'm sure the Buffs will as well. (Not so sure about #2 traditionally in the conference after USC though -- UCLA and Washington might have something to say about that, especially if we're including the '80's.)

I don't know if "officially" it would be considered part of the stadium - but my guess is yes since it is part of the "secure" area on game day (i.e. you can't get into the fieldhouse without a ticket).

Well, I think it is part of the stadium due to the reason you stated and the fact that I enter my section from inside the Fieldhouse. Section 106, at least the North side of the section, enters the stadium right in the middle of the Fieldhouse. Would create some real nightmares getting to seats by collecting or scanning tickets inside the Fieldhouse. It would take some major modifications to make it work.

Back