1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Miller says Conrad Obi is the PAC-12 South spring defensive MVP.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Tatanka™, May 11, 2011.

1. Tatanka™

Tatanka™ Well-Known Member

2. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

CU's going to surprise people in this fall if our secondary steps up.

3. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

All I can ask for next year is estabilishing power running and solid run D. In other words working to control the line of scrimmage. If Embree starts reestabilishing that, then we are on our way.

4. walk

walk Member

Call me skeptical, but I don't think Obi starts this year. Great improvement, but still a backup. IMO, Cunningham and Percak are legit. They're a little undersized, but both play with great leverage and are disruptive.

5. bigbang

bigbang Member

The best player should play, going by numerous reports from spring , Obi outplayed Pericak and the other DT on the team, if that continues, he should start.

6. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Yeah, but how many offers did they have?

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I thought Obi was our best DT last year. Never understood why he wasn't playing.

8. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Maybe you misinterpreted the video. Miller didn't name him the most improved defensive player in the Pac-12 South, he name him the most valuable defensive player in the Pac-12 South. No way he doesn't start this fall.

9. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

They will all play, our coaches understand how important the d-line is especially when you have deficiencies in the secondary. There will be a rotation to keep them all fresh and playing hard for the whole game.

10. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Precisely. Rotate 'em.

11. Buffnik

:nod:

I'm looking for Pericak to have the lightbulb go on with the new techniques and Bonsu to be back to 100% when fall camp starts. We should have a very effective 4-man rotation at DT with Cunningham bringing his usual, high-motor effective game. Cunningham will be a lot better if he doesn't get worn down from playing too many snaps, too.

12. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Obi moved ahead of Pericek on the depth chart in the Spring. That doesn't usually happen unless there's a marked difference in the level of play. Obi was a monster in the Spring game, for what it's worth. Guy was blowing sh*t up all over the place.

13. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Getting Bonsu back alone helps us a ton.

14. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I think we are going to surprise quite a few people on D this year. We do have some good help coming in and I think the problems we are seeing are just a result of a new defense being installed.

Secondary needs work, however i think that given Brown being back and the help we have coming in the fall we will be better than expected. Losing two corners to the draft is tough, but obviously Brown knows what he is doing. Give it some time and I think the Backs we have on the field will look much much better than this spring.

LB's will be solid. I think we have a solid group of returning guys. Cabral has a magic touch back there. Daigh could come in and be in the starting rotation i think. It will be fun to see how he does at this level

D-Line may actually be a strength this year given the depth issues. We do have reinforcements on the way and we have a solid group of returners. Tui, from what i saw at the spring game, has some fire in him. If the line can harness even half of that we will be doing very well this fall up front.

15. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

[​IMG]

absinthe likes this.
  16. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

If our D-line plays well, it could really help out our inexperienced secondary

17. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I think it's a must for our dline to play well or we might be in trouble. We are pretty green back there and have quite a few guys that will have to learn on the fly and grow up in a hurry.

18. Buffnik

We must makes teams one dimensional. No running or passing to the middle of the field. Make teams attack our defense on the edges.

19. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I agree and hope we cause a hell of alot more turnovers this year. +- is gonna be big, always is but especially with this team.

20. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Ahhh! Competition! I love it. This will make them all better.

21. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Now that JE is in charge, I don't think you have to worry about that

22. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

There is no substitute for game experience. While our corners should look better come the fall, we still have a lot of growing up to do. Brown can be the greatest secondary coach of all time and it will not matter-we are going to take some lumps back there breaking in new corners. Plus I am not entirely sold on our talent back there either. Not to mention the depth is pretty questionable.

The starting LBs look good to me. After that, it gets rough in a hurry. The defensive line is experienced and has playmakers. No excuses.

If we can stay healthy, we should be all right on defense. The depth in the back seven is very questionable. Our success this year is largely dependent on the offense and special teams taking big steps forward IMO to really help out a suspect defense. I could see several teams putting up some big point totals on us, I just hope the offense can sustain drives and go toe to toe with those offenses. The special teams need to help win field position battles for a change too.