What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tennessee/Virginia Tech to play at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016

With the wall and fence around the track at least they don't have to worry about the fans rushing the field and tearing down the goalpost.

On the other hand if the fans rushed the field by the time they got there they would be to tired from the run to tear down the post.

BWLGI6HCcAEfOwf.jpg

I'm not fully convinced it'll be as easy to get 160k there as they think it'll be, but here's what it would be like
I don't think they'd do it otherwise, I'm sure they've done some research into this. Each side brings 80k, probably a lot of seats will be cheap enough for those who normally don't get to go. And besides, I'm sure you'll get people going just for the curiosity factor.

I don't think they'd do it otherwise, I'm sure they've done some research into this. Each side brings 80k, probably a lot of seats will be cheap enough for those who normally don't get to go. And besides, I'm sure you'll get people going just for the curiosity factor.

There will be people for the curiosity factor and they're both impressive fan bases. But it may be the case that it's just two mediocre at best teams. Vols will bring more than Hokies regardless of how they allot. It's going to take some effort to get a crowd of 160k in a small town 2 hours from campuses.

I'm feeling a cultural disconnect on that Bristol game location. I can't wrap my head around why anyone would want to watch a football game there. I'm also absolutely ****ing blown away that you need a stadium that big to hold all the people who want to burst their eardrums while watching cars drive in circles.

NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

Stadium looks like a terrible place to see a game. seats are going to be far away from the field. Also the sight lines are going to be terrible for the lower part of the stadium. It looks like they have a number of permanent buildings in what will be outside the endzones. The place is designed to see what is happening around the edges of the floor of the stadium, not the middle.

I feel compelled to comment although I don't really have anything to add. VT fans have wanted to start a rivalry with Tennessee for years (not sure if Vol's feel the same or not). the schools are close enough and in different BCS conferences, share fan bases and recruiting territories. Especially given new SOS criteria to make the playoffs, the match up makes sense.

This attendance record setting game is seen as a huge boon for recruiting ("son, come to Virginia Tech and over the next four years you'll play in the most attended game in football history, never mind at Ohio State, Notre Dame and ACC match-ups with FSU and Clemson"). It will likewise sell merchandise and stir up fan interest in a rural area where fans care as much about NASCAR, if not more, than football.

Yes, the view will be tough from the cheap seats, but I bet anyone down low will see fine -- Bristol has great "sight lines" and the grandstands are steep and close to the track.

I realize NASCAR is not popular in Colorado. I consider myself a NASCAR fan. I've attended 12 - 15 races (including Bristol) and watch most of the Cup races on DVR (although it's not usually "focused TV watching"). My racing interest is limited -- once football starts I'm not watching much. I moved to the Southeast from Wisconsin and didn't appreciate why anyone cared about watching cars drive in circles. I steadfastly maintained that attitude for years. Eventually though, it got me. I started watching a race on TV with a friend who was really into it. Before long I was at a race, and then I was hooked. I'm man enough to admit it, I cried when Dale Earnhardt died (although it later occurred to me that Dale probably wouldn't have given me the time of day if we had ever met).

Yes, I would expect beer to be served at the game. IIRC, at neutral site college games that weren't on college campuses and they served alcohol.

And yes, this is a one and done game. No series is currently planned.

I'd love to make it to the game, but part of me hopes that by the time 2016 gets here I'll be completely assimilated in the Coloardo lifestyle and lose some of that interest (and save the money).

I feel compelled to comment although I don't really have anything to add. VT fans have wanted to start a rivalry with Tennessee for years (not sure if Vol's feel the same or not). the schools are close enough and in different BCS conferences, share fan bases and recruiting territories. Especially given new SOS criteria to make the playoffs, the match up makes sense.

This attendance record setting game is seen as a huge boon for recruiting ("son, come to Virginia Tech and over the next four years you'll play in the most attended game in football history, never mind at Ohio State, Notre Dame and ACC match-ups with FSU and Clemson"). It will likewise sell merchandise and stir up fan interest in a rural area where fans care as much about NASCAR, if not more, than football.

Yes, the view will be tough from the cheap seats, but I bet anyone down low will see fine -- Bristol has great "sight lines" and the grandstands are steep and close to the track.

I realize NASCAR is not popular in Colorado. I consider myself a NASCAR fan. I've attended 12 - 15 races (including Bristol) and watch most of the Cup races on DVR (although it's not usually "focused TV watching"). My racing interest is limited -- once football starts I'm not watching much. I moved to the Southeast from Wisconsin and didn't appreciate why anyone cared about watching cars drive in circles. I steadfastly maintained that attitude for years. Eventually though, it got me. I started watching a race on TV with a friend who was really into it. Before long I was at a race, and then I was hooked. I'm man enough to admit it, I cried when Dale Earnhardt died (although it later occurred to me that Dale probably wouldn't have given me the time of day if we had ever met).

Yes, I would expect beer to be served at the game. IIRC, at neutral site college games that weren't on college campuses and they served alcohol.

And yes, this is a one and done game. No series is currently planned.

I'd love to make it to the game, but part of me hopes that by the time 2016 gets here I'll be completely assimilated in the Coloardo lifestyle and lose some of that interest (and save the money).
I'm not a NASCAR fan at all and I'm fascinated by this concept. For one-time only affair or at most occasional, here and there, I think it should be fine.

I was at FedEx for MD-Notre Dame, they sold alcohol.

The fans at a NASCAR race are definitely a different group but they enjoy their racing and most of some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Many rent or bring their own scanners which helps you follow the race much better because if you're not paying close attention it will seem rather monotonous after the first dozen laps or so because the cars start to get strung out quite a bit and at most tracks cars start getting lapped around 20-30 laps in. For people who go for the first time, I always tell them that the scoring tower is your friend.

I just got back from the Nationwide race tonight and it was a good time. Yes, there's no doubt it's a redneck/blue-collar/Republican crowd but almost everyone is nice and just there to have a good time and watch some racing.

Oskar Blues is on board with NASCAR. :thumbsup: I hadn't heard about this until they mentioned his sponsor during driver introductions last night.

Craft brewers have broken a lot of boundaries in recent years, but none as surprising as this: An independent Colorado beer maker now is sponsoring a NASCAR driver.

When Landon Cassill and his JD Motorsports with Gary Keller team revs his engine at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Oct. 11, he will do so with Oskar Blues Brewery insignia on his race car and fire suit. Officials from the Longmont brewery say they are the first craft beer makers to put their marketing dollars front and center in NASCAR, a sport more often associated with larger breweries.

http://www.brewbound.com/news/oskar-blues-to-sponsor-nascars-landon-cassill
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2013/09/26/its-come-to-this-oskar-blues.html

Last edited:
That is crazy. NASCAR seems like a bud light type of market.

It definitely is a Bud/Bud Light type of market, even Busch Light. Miller Lite and Coors Light are also big sponsors in NASCAR. I noticed that they started selling Dale's Pale Ale at Charlotte Motor Speedway for the Memorial Day race, but I'm sure alot of it has to do with the fact that they now have a brewery here in NC where NASCAR is prominent.

It definitely is a Bud/Bud Light type of market, even Busch Light. Miller Lite and Coors Light are also big sponsors in NASCAR. I noticed that they started selling Dale's Pale Ale at Charlotte Motor Speedway for the Memorial Day race, but I'm sure alot of it has to do with the fact that they now have a brewery here in NC where NASCAR is prominent.

That makes sense to me. About 20% of NASCAR drivers have been named Dale.

It might be interesting for the novelty factor, but I'd rather see a game at either of their home stadiums.

never too early to start hyping a game (link)....

... for which you hope to sell 150,000 tickets at an average of $93 a pop.

if i was anywhere on that side of the country i'd go watch this

They'll sell it out with no issue, especially if VT is still clicking (which isn't entirely guaranteed). Very easy drive from both campuses. Most of VT's fans are far away in Richmond and NOVA but they'll show for this spectacle.

if i was anywhere on that side of the country i'd go watch this

Really? I'm trying to figure out why this is a big deal. It seems to me that they're playing a football game at a venue that's not designed for football and won't be a great place to watch a game. This game is less desirable for me to attend than a Tenn-VA Tech game normally would be.

Really? I'm trying to figure out why this is a big deal. It seems to me that they're playing a football game at a venue that's not designed for football and won't be a great place to watch a game. This game is less desirable for me to attend than a Tenn-VA Tech game normally would be.
i think the parking lot scene alone would be worth the trip.

Back