What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tennessee/Virginia Tech to play at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016

Really? I'm trying to figure out why this is a big deal. It seems to me that they're playing a football game at a venue that's not designed for football and won't be a great place to watch a game. This game is less desirable for me to attend than a Tenn-VA Tech game normally would be.

The field is going to be so far away from the seats. You will have to watch the big screens the whole game. The Only thing I may go for if I lived near there is just to say I was there. It is not going to be a good football watching set up.

i think the parking lot scene alone would be worth the trip.

I think that's probably the case any time you'd go to a Tennessee or VA Tech game. I just don't get it. And I don't think it's only because I'm not a NASCAR fan. As much as I love football, I absolutely hate it when they create a basketball event by playing a game in a football stadium.

Coming in 2019, The Rocky Mountain Showdown featuring CU vs. CSU at Bandimere Speedway sponsored in part by Mopar and Cinch Jeans.

I think that's probably the case any time you'd go to a Tennessee or VA Tech game. I just don't get it. And I don't think it's only because I'm not a NASCAR fan. As much as I love football, I absolutely hate it when they create a basketball event by playing a game in a football stadium.

They chose the right two fan bases for NASCAR love. You're right, they'll be a mile from the field though

the big deal is that this game has a reasonable chance to set the all-time CFB attendance record of 114,804 (Notre Dame @ Mich 2011). link

for fans in the ACC and SEC, there is added interest of seeing two nearby schools with rich football history and rabid fan bases that historically haven't played each other in the regular season. The city of Bristol actually straddles the state line (I guess technically there's two Bristols, but you get the idea).

for fans of VT and UT, there is added interest of seeing your team play in a different (and in this case, novel) venue while still being a "local" drive (~2 hours from each campus).

and, yeah, the lot scene could be huge. both schools do tailgating right, Bristol has huge lots all around the stadium and the LEO's have, at past NASCAR events anyway, let the fans party without hassle.

last note -- if one was going to hold a football game at a racetrack, Bristol is the right one. It's a small track (1/2 mile oval) and the seating area is very steep -- so, while those in the cheap seats will still be very high up (i.e. far away vertically), in the X,Y plane they won't be that far from the field.

Screenshot2013-10-10at11.10.15AM_crop_north.png

Perspective.

Neyland Stadium vs Bristol Motor Speedway

With multiple days of tailgating involved it will be like Burning Man except for rednecks. No offense hokiehead.

I think it crushes the 114k mark as long as UT and VT aren't in the dumpster. Tennessee might bring 80k.

The field has been put down and goalposts are up

There's also a live construction cam:
http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com...ing-battle-bristol-live-construction-cam.html

That looks like a horrible venue for football. I guess it could be worse and they could be trying to play basketball in that stadium. I guess bring binoculars and people will enjoy it if they think NASCAR is so awesome that an association with it makes a football game better even though it's impossible to see the game well.

I don't know, I personally believe it'll be awesome when it's sold out and packed. Is it a night game?

That looks like a horrible venue for football. I guess it could be worse and they could be trying to play basketball in that stadium. I guess bring binoculars and people will enjoy it if they think NASCAR is so awesome that an association with it makes a football game better even though it's impossible to see the game well.

But a bicycle race? Wow what a great place. If you like that kind of racing. All spandexed up etc.

Wow, that's insane! It might have some long views but I think that would be a hell of an experience.

That's my reaction as well. Yuk.

I don't disagree with the point that, as a football venue, this is less than ideal. that being said, the chance of seeing my team break the all time CFB attendance record is too cool. BMS is a great location otherwise -- it basically sits on the Tenn/VA border and fans in that corner are split between the two teams. There's also a decent overlap between fans of those teams and old-school NASCAR crowds.

I think for those two teams, the venue makes a whole lot of sense. It is going to be packed and the atmosphere is going to be electric. I can't imagine what is going to be like when enter sandman comes on and you have about 75,000 turkey fans going nuts.

The stadium and the crowd are going to be the spectacle for this one. The game is almost secondary.

I don't disagree with the point that, as a football venue, this is less than ideal. that being said, the chance of seeing my team break the all time CFB attendance record is too cool. BMS is a great location otherwise -- it basically sits on the Tenn/VA border and fans in that corner are split between the two teams. There's also a decent overlap between fans of those teams and old-school NASCAR crowds.
The tailgating should be epic.

You couldn't have a better location geographically, but the stadium might be a mess for actual "noise". One hell of a pregame/postgame atmosphere though. Bristol has a street where where the yellow lines in the middle divide Virginia and Tennessee. Haven't been playing close attention to sales, but I guarantee there will be more Vols than Hokies.

It's not exactly the four corners, but it's a great idea for football crazy programs located a few short hours off the same highway. They should be playing on a semi-regular basis, even if not in Bristol.

As a sidenote, Virginia is now with its third FBS school: Old Dominion. They sit in the thick of Virginia's top recruiting grounds. I've been a bit surprised to see both VT and UVA's willingness to not only face ODU, but be willing to go on the road to Norfolk to face them. I suppose they view it as excellent recruiting exposure. ODU won't be joining any top conference anytime soon, but if they play their cards right they can become a very solid non-P5 program - and fast.

Attachments

• 66ca5664a6b185832c27feab0563be2b.jpg
    66ca5664a6b185832c27feab0563be2b.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 11
Back