1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas A&M About To Tell The Big 12 Bye Bye ?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Jul 30, 2011.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

surprised this hasn't been posted yet-

http://tamu.scout.com/2/1090643.html

sounds like the damage may have already been done....
    ESPN and Texas are in-bed with each other and the rest of the B12 are not pleased-

Are the dominoes about to be knocked over?

If the Pac 12 feels it has to go to 16 teams I'd be ok with OU, Okie St, KU & Mizzou- best of the remaining Big 8.
    Put those teams in a 'Mid-West' POD- expand the PAC brand into the Central time zone- lock down Okie City, Tulsa,
    KC and St Louis television markets and bring some good basketball into the conference.

I'd rather the Pac 12 stay at 12 but IMHO it's just a matter of time before Super Conferences are here.

2. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Thanks for the heads up...it sounds pretty serious.

3. NashBuff

It looks like MU and A&M talk is picking up serious steam right now. OU has been told by the SEC that they can't take Okie Lite with them. Texas Tech is putting out feelers to the Pac-12. KU & KSU to the Big East as well. Texas looks like they will have to go indpendent and the big question is who will the 16th Pac-12 school be? It would have to be New Mexico if Texas backs out.

4. DesertDawg526

DesertDawg526 Resident Dawg Club Member

I think adding KU and Mizzou are good potentials. KU at least has the BBall tradition that will add to the Pac. I think the Pac would also welcome OU with their football tradition, and take Okie Lite if needed to seal the deal (although I don't think OU would be happy with the road travel). This is probably the ideal package for a Pac-16 all things considered...

The Pac would take Texas, but only if Texas submitted to all the Pac requirements (meaning they are a no go). Texas will never dictate terms to the Pac if they want to join. We wouldn't accept it. I don't know if any other Texas schools would be worthy or interested...

It will be very interesting to see how the dominoes fall if aTm leaves the Bix 12-2....

UNM would seal off the West, but I don't think their academics would ever pass for a Pac-level institution....

I don't see any other schools in the Mountain time zone or West that would be candidates either (and Boise St will never be invited due to poor academics).

5. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I might come off as completely idiotic here but why not SDSU? Academics? I'm not too familiar with San Diego state. Are they better than New Mexico?

6. NashBuff

There is already four California schools within the Pac-12 and I don't think there will be another one.

7. Buffsoldier

Buffsoldier Well-Known Member

I would think that Fresno State would have more of an appeal based on recent years performance. I know SDSU would potentially lock up a big media market, but FSU with their "take on all comers" stance the past dozen years has had a pretty wide appeal, and would give the PAC a lockdown on the entirety of the state, from LA to SF. But, like you with SDSU, I know nothing about FSU's academics.

8. NashBuff

The reason why UNM keeps popping up is that they are Texas Tech's biggest non-conference rival. OU-OSU is already taken so they have to come up with somebody for TT. It won't be TCU for sure due to the Pac-12 refusing to accept BYU and Baylor. And the Pac-12 has Arizona State...

9. MrFrumpylane

MrFrumpylane Well-Known Member

Was there a reason that a Pac-14 would not work? Like.. scheduling would only work with either a 12 or 16 team conference?

10. NashBuff

They can always put one LA school in each division. My belief is that we would get UCLA in the South and USC to the North. I don't think we will ever have a zipper format...screw that.

11. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Tech every played New Mexico. It looks like the used to play them in the past, then didn't play them for some time, then started scheduling them again 2 years ago. They have actually played them 42 times (and only lost 6 haha).

12. NashBuff

Something you will want to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Intercollegiate_Athletic_Association

EDIT:

I have believed that the East or South division of a Pac-16 would be more of a southwestern conference and as someone who has a lot of connections to the SW, this is something that excites me and would be even better if UT wasn't part of that. This is what it would look like in this case:

SWC: UA, ASU, UU, CU, UNM, TT, OU, and OSU
    Pac-8: USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, UO, OSU, UW, and WSU

Larry Scott has talked about pod scheduling. CU will be in the pod that contains UU, UA, and ASU so CU will play those three every year. Each other pod will have two games against members from that pod. For instance, CU could play one LA school and one NorCal school every year which means CU will still visit California every year. That also means CU will play one OK school and either TT/UNM in addition to two NW schools. But this must get approved by the NCAA.

The SWC division would be a powerful basketball division as well since you would have UA, UNM, OSU, and Utah...four traditional powers in basketball.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  13. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

14. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Balls finally dropped, huh?

15. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I'm thinking we may have some new conference partners real soon. ESPN and the LHN is the 800 pound gorilla that Texas created that now has a life of its own. ESPN has basically told the Big 12 that they have absolutely no say in the network's programming and UT is just shrugging their shoulders saying "what can we do if they want to televise our recruits high school games?" ESPN needs to make a profit, and Texas wants the high school games. The Big 12 may, keyword may, survive this football season, best case scenario.

16. NashBuff

You could put Houston in place of UNM. Houston is now a Tier 1 research school and that will get the Pac's attention plus they will build a new stadium and if that doesn't work, they can play at where the Texans play.

17. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

We just got rid of ku and misery. I don't want to see them ever again.

18. rscmac

rscmac Club Member Club Member

Well good for texas they can play byu every year. If the ncaa lets texas get away with putting high school games on then im sure byu, notre dame will find a way also.

19. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

**** this. I don't want any part of being in the same division with our old Big 12 brethren.

20. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

So, you guys want our 3 billion divided by 12 to go to 3 billion divided by 16? Bullsquatchie!!!

21. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

I certainly don't but think it will happen sooner than later.

22. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Wait. Why are we doing this without ut? These schoola dont bring a lot of what the pac covets. Ut balanced that with cash.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

23. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I haven't seen anywhere in this thread where anybody said they wanted the expansion. We are just discussing the possible fallout of the situation. Pay attention. In all honesty, I'm betting there is a 99% chance that the PAC 12 TV contracts are renegotiable given expansion. Larry Scott has been pretty blunt about the fact it is going to happen, and the dude is nothing if not prepared.

24. superdeluxe

superdeluxe New Member

Scott put several escalators into the contract depending on who they pick

25. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

None of the Calif schools have the academics. Anything with "state" in it's name is not a high level academic/research institution. So cross off SDSU, Fresno State, Sacramento State, etc.

Now, Washington State, ASU and Oregon State really don't fit that bill either, but they have been in for awhile. Not really sure how important this is, but I still think it's important. That probably rules out UNM and Texas Tech, along with OSU, KSU, ISU.

Religion eliminates TCU, SMU, Baylor, BYU.

That leaves UT, UM, KU and OU. Might see Air Force considered as well.

Also, the reason the Pac12 expanded was for TV $$$. It gave them a conf championship game. Why go to 14 or 16? Only if you can add some large media markets.
    UT would be huge.
    Texas Tech - not so much. Mizzou gives you something there. KU gives you something, especially with hoops - they are more of a nationwide draw.
    OU has a large and loyal following, but it's not Tejas.
    UNM? no.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  26. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

do not want... keep it at 12

27. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'd be perfectly happy staying at 12. I see no real reason to expand, frankly.

28. Tatanka™

Tatanka™ Well-Known Member

No to all SWC trash like Texas and Texas Tech. I'm okay with former Big 8 schools that we have a history with.

29. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

The fun part of this is reading Baylorfans. Here is the latest gem:

30. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

cocaine is a helluva drug