What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Texas Tech Defense vs. EWU Offense

The Guest

It's become somewhat fashionable to attribute EWU's successful air-attack, last week, to Texas Tech's lackluster defense. However, I'm not convinced the evidence supports that assertion.

1. Texas Tech led the Big XII in pass defense last season (according to Phil Steele).
--Now, TT didn't have to play itself (obvious), which probably helped its overall stats.
--A few patsies could be found on their out of conference schedule.

Nonetheless, several BigXII North teams that didn't play TT, either, while additionally playing a weak nonconference schedule and still didn't fare as well as Texas Tech in pass D.

2. Texas Tech returns eight starter's from last season's defense. Granted, they've replaced a CB and a SS, but the unit remains mostly intact.

3. Texas Tech returns its entire defensive line. Last year's line accumulated six more sacks than CU's and and only gave up .1 yard per rushing attempt more than CU's defense (which tends to be our strength). As we all know, the D-Line is integral to a successful pass defense.

4. Texas Tech held ACC SUPERCONFERENCE power UVA (okay, joking about that) to 96 yards passing. I believe TT held common opponents (to CU) to fewer passing yards in all cases, with the exception of OU (compare Baylor's 400 plus yards permitted by CU versus less than 200 by the TT defense).

The point is not to support Texas Tech by any means (pre-emptive strike against any such accusations launched by LB), but rather to suggest the EWU passing threat can't be so simplistically dismissed.

I hope our defense has a far more successful outing against Eastern Washington than TT, but that is by no means a forgone consclusion!

GO BUFFS!

(pre-emptive strike against any such accusations launched by LB)

I hope our defense has a far more successful outing against Eastern Washington than TT, but that is by no means a forgone consclusion!

GO BUFFS!

gmafb. there is a wide chasm of difference between stating fact as fact and hypothesizing about passion of someone else's love life.

you were out of line with the latter, but spot on with the former.

I'm with 'ya, Walrus - Eastern Washington is for real.

I hate to sound like Lou Holtz (when he was at Notre Dame), describing how the incredibly talented Army, or Duke, or Northwestern was (before going on to a 56-3 victory), but the Eagles do pose a threat.

Matt Nichols was the Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year - as a sophomore - and already owns a number of school passing records. Outside of a lopsided loss to BYU last season, EWU's three losses were by a total of 11 points.

It's the easiest game of the year for Colorado - if the Buffs play their game and don't try to score 40 in the first quarter.

[my EWU preview will be posted Thursday morning. Go Buffs!]

I am going to point out that this is their DC's first full year in the job. He was tapped partway through last year and did a good job at the end of the year, but that's very different from going through and off-season and camp as DC.

That said, however, I agree 100%. Trying to claim that TT's defense was the only reason for the yardage is silly. EWU will come out and test our secondary a lot.

one stat that I just read and don't know if anyone mentioned anywhere....but TT had 18 penalties for 169 yards in this game...granted EWU is a good team IMO, but that's like the equivalent of 3 turnovers (not to mention the fumble & INT they also gave up)....if we just play solid smart football we should be just fine

One major difference between CU and TTU, and I think a reason TTU always slips up year after year, is rushing offense. CU's O-line should be able to absolutely manhandle EWU's D. Keep the EWU offense off the field and out of sync and our D should stay relatively fresh. I'm not disrespecting EWU, but I think Colorado rolls in this one with 250+ yards rushing.

Back