What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Texas to Pay 10k to Every SA

Can we attempt to not be an inaccurate pedant?

From the article, "Assuming the new policies survive the legal appeals process, Patterson said UT won’t have problems paying the extra $6 million to its players."

The article explicitly states that UT is prepared & will pay all of their SAs 10k each unless the new policies are overturned. Not sure how you think it says they won't be paying their SAs when that's the subject of the article. Maybe I could've added "Under new policies" to the headline, but that's a really long headline that only appeases the pedantic crowd.
I took it as they can afford to pay $6 million per year if the court decisions, et al, lead that way. Not that they are planning on paying $6 million a year.

The scholarship to the cross country or women's soccer or even volley ball is not worth tax dollars to me. If the school can pull it off without subsidies, then cool. But until then their should on be additional stipends for football and skiing. If any of my kids show any talent in swimming I am willing to expand the stipend to that sport as well.

I'm a little confused on your point. Are we talking scholarships or stipends? Are you suggesting that we shouldn't even offer scholarships to athletes outside revenue-generating sports? That's pretty extreme. In fact, it would kill our D-1 programs, and drop out of the Pac 12 altogether.

Furthermore, tax dollars have nothing to do with this. Texas isn't offsetting student athlete costs through tax dollars, nor would we (tax dollars don't go to scholarships either), if we were to adopt that model.

The scholarship to the cross country or women's soccer or even volley ball is not worth tax dollars to me. If the school can pull it off without subsidies, then cool. But until then their should on be additional stipends for football and skiing. If any of my kids show any talent in swimming I am willing to expand the stipend to that sport as well.

State colleges and universities can't pull off ANYTHING without subsidies. That is why they are entities of the STATE.

Back