1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 1976 Orange Bowl

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by StormTrooper, Aug 6, 2015.

1. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Millennial Liason Club Member

I guess this is my way of saying hello. Lifelong CU fan here, finally got up the nerve to make an account and start posting.

Thought I'd share this complete game footage that I just came across of the 1976/77 Orange Bowl that CU played in against Ohio State. They lost 27-10, but they scored the first ten points so the first half an hour or so is pretty fun to watch.
    Personally, I had never seen a complete game from this era of CU football, so this was pretty exciting to see. Hope you all enjoy it.

[video=youtube;Iafu2dxzmM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iafu2dxzmM4[/video]

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Cool! Thanks. Glad you made the big move from lurker to poster.

3. cruisebuff

cruisebuff Club Member Club Member

That was when I was a student. The Buffs needed Oklahoma to upset the Huskers in Lincoln on Thanksgiving weekend in order for CU to go to the Orange Bowl. The Sooners did it - scoring 13 points in the 4th quarter for a come from behind 20-17 win. That day I vowed I would never root against the Sooners (except when they played the Buffs) - I was so thankful they gave the Buffs an Orange Bowl berth. Sadly the game vs Ohio State didn't turn out as I had hoped - ironically the Buffs lost by the same score that my other favorite team (the Broncos) lost to the Cowboys in the Super Bowl one year later (27-10)

4. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

This guy gets it. Speaking of getting it, go get me a sammich!

5. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Welcome, and excellent name. I welcome you, and get me a sammich and a beer, minion :nod:

6. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

I like those CU helmets.

7. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

I was a Freshman in 76, I remember our defense was dominating that game until Charlie Johnson (DT) went out with an injury. That coupled with the miserable play of Jeff Knapple doomed us.

8. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Bowl games are often funny animals. You have a guy who was great all year long who just sh*ts the bed during the bowl game and that's the end of it. Not too often do you get two teams absolutely playing at their best.

9. SerenityBuff

SerenityBuff Club Member Club Member

Ralphie went beast mode! Maybe she didn't like that little hat they put on her.

10. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

Brick, are you just looking at things on the field and saying that you love them?

11. EddieCrowder

EddieCrowder Club Member Club Member

I think I remember rooting for OU that day as well. The play that put CU in the Orange bowl was a desperation hook-n-ladder from OU's QB to the late David Overstreet, he drew the NU DB David Butterfield to him and pitched to Elvis Peacock for a long TD down the sideline.

12. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i remember that game and that team-- i was just a kid, but a player on that orange bowl team gave me a practice jersey and it converted a kid who watched the Buffs to a kid who bled black and gold for a lifetime.