What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2013 CU vs CSU game

I have been reading that of the true freshman wide outs Rashard Higgins and the former Washington commit, Sammie Long, have been the most impressive so far in practice and will likely see time this year. The redshirt freshman, Jordan Vaden, had a really good spring and camp will likely get the start on the outside for the RMS. McElwain is bringing in a different type of receiver than CU fans are used to seeing on the CSU sidelines. Most of the young guys are 6'2 or above. As far as Udofia goes, I haven't heard much about him. He just arrived on campus in August and I can't imagine he will know the system well enough to have that much of an impact in the RMS.

Not sure where you are getting the information about the LBs. They actually look like they will be the strength of the defense this year. Shaq Barrett is an excellent tackler and can rush the passer. Cory James was a freshman All-American at seasons end and a likely all-conference player this year. Aaron Davis and Max Morgan are Juniors and will start on the inside of the base 3-4.

I have read the LB's are the strength of the D, the safties are good, the questions are the CB's and the D-line (due to depth, and experience). At the same time it seems the DL has done well against the OL, and the OL is supposed to be a strength (which means the OL is good & the DL is great, or the OL is average and DL is Good, or OL sucks and DL is better) On offense the talk is the depth at RB and TE, along with the afore mentioned OL. The big questions on O are who is the QB, and who ends up playing at WR.

In the end it is all still a crap shoot as no one knows how the units will work together. The Buffs have seen the OL/RB/TE before along with the LB/S combo. We will see how it works out.

I think the CU defense matches up better with a team lacking WR threats, as long as Orms is playing. Beyond that, I have no idea what to expect from CU's offense--Richardson could run wild . . . or our QB could fail to get him the ball.

Hopefully, and I expect, this staff will be MUCH better at adjusting during a game to what the opposition is doing than our previous two staffs.

No doubt coaching was poor in that game last year, but one thing I think Buffs fans conveniently forget: CSU dominated the LOS in the 2nd half. They beat us up and we had no answer. Can we answer the challenge this time around?

Even if the numbers are correct 41,000 people in a stadium that seat 76,000 will look empty.
Plati has a history of massaging numbers in order to fit his personal agenda. I suspect we are nowhere close to 25k. Plus, there are a lot of people who are forced to buy tickets that have no desire to subject themselves to Invesco Gulag at Pat Bowlen temple of civic blackmail.

Plati has a history of massaging numbers in order to fit his personal agenda. I suspect we are nowhere close to 25k. Plus, there are a lot of people who are forced to buy tickets that have no desire to subject themselves to Invesco Gulag at Pat Bowlen temple of civic blackmail.

That is true- I know many people with tickets that are not going.

That is true- I know many people with tickets that are not going.

I wonder what the final price will be for tickets on the internet sites.

Would not shock me if by game time there aren't tickets available in the $5-10 range.

I think that CSU will try to manhandle us at the LOS with their big boys on the OL. They took care of some Freshman boys last year. A year should make a big difference.

I honestly think CSU is the weakest team on our schedule. But anytime you are introducing a whole new concept (offense and defense), and you are as young as we are, we should expect costly mistakes. CSU could win by having 4 big plays and not much all game. And of course, it's their super bowl.

Our offensive key will be to torch them on the blitz. Get it to a WR in man coverage on a quick slant and let's have a footrace. We did not have that last year. Nobody got of the LOS.

I think that CSU will try to manhandle us at the LOS with their big boys on the OL. They took care of some Freshman boys last year. A year should make a big difference.

I honestly think CSU is the weakest team on our schedule. But anytime you are introducing a whole new concept (offense and defense), and you are as young as we are, we should expect costly mistakes. CSU could win by having 4 big plays and not much all game. And of course, it's their super bowl.

Our offensive key will be to torch them on the blitz. Get it to a WR in man coverage on a quick slant and let's have a footrace. We did not have that last year. Nobody got of the LOS.

CSU has some kids on that OL that are big and strong, they have had big, strong kids on the OL for the past number of years and teams have beaten the crap out of them. There is a reason those kids are at CSU instead of BCS schools. If they fit the past history they are big but not particularly quick. We are very young on the DL but have some big, strong kids in the middle who are also better athletes.

Last season CSU dominated the LOS for two reasons. One was that our coaching staff was clueless and didn't adjust to what CSU was doing and secondly in the second half our guys didn't exactly play like they expected to win, because they didn't. Same thing happened against Sac State and our kids might as well have not gotten off the bus at Fresno.

The only question I have is if the coaching staff can this quickly turn around the loser mentality that has become ingrained in our roster. If we play to win with an expectation of winning and see even adequete coaching we win and probably going away. If not it will be close and CSU has a very good chance to pull out a win.

If we are going to continue this stupid series then the next critical step is to do what is neccessary to make CSU expect to lose each year. Then even if their fans treat it like the super bowl the players will come in with enough doubt that it can become the tune up game it should be.

I'm going to be a walkup for tickets. I suspect it will be relatively inexpensive.

This is a must game for us if we're to win 3 or 4.

Can we get a third party to audit Plati's math?

I am pretty sure those numbers include student ticket sales as well. Looks like CSU will sell about 20k in tickets this year - not including walk-ups. Still not great, but an improvement over the last couple of years.

CSU has some kids on that OL that are big and strong, they have had big, strong kids on the OL for the past number of years and teams have beaten the crap out of them. There is a reason those kids are at CSU instead of BCS schools. If they fit the past history they are big but not particularly quick. We are very young on the DL but have some big, strong kids in the middle who are also better athletes.

Last season CSU dominated the LOS for two reasons. One was that our coaching staff was clueless and didn't adjust to what CSU was doing and secondly in the second half our guys didn't exactly play like they expected to win, because they didn't. Same thing happened against Sac State and our kids might as well have not gotten off the bus at Fresno.

The only question I have is if the coaching staff can this quickly turn around the loser mentality that has become ingrained in our roster. If we play to win with an expectation of winning and see even adequete coaching we win and probably going away. If not it will be close and CSU has a very good chance to pull out a win.

If we are going to continue this stupid series then the next critical step is to do what is neccessary to make CSU expect to lose each year. Then even if their fans treat it like the super bowl the players will come in with enough doubt that it can become the tune up game it should be.

They got off the bus in Fresno? That's news to me! I thought those were the cheerleaders suited up in football kit? Nah, cheerleaders would have at least tried to tackle someone wearing red.

Last year was last year. The second half turned around with :21 in the 1st half, when the Lammies scored. Until then, McElwain was dreading his half-time speech, as his players were ready to pack it in. Then.......BAM! TEH STOOPID! No way that will be repeated.

Do you really think we have the kids the win against CSU "going away"? I'm not convinced our talent is really any better than CSU's. Our guys look small to me and it's not as if we are just oozing speed. With the talent issue, the fact that our offensive line is probably atrocious (while theirs is at least competent, if not good), and the fact that we are in a new system, I find it hard to believe we win this game, much less "going away". Please tell me I am wrong Mtn!

Do you really think we have the kids the win against CSU "going away"? I'm not convinced our talent is really any better than CSU's. Our guys look small to me and it's not as if we are just oozing speed. With the talent issue, the fact that our offensive line is probably atrocious (while theirs is at least competent, if not good), and the fact that we are in a new system, I find it hard to believe we win this game, much less "going away". Please tell me I am wrong Mtn!

You're not wrong.

We were in the game against CSU, last year, with one of the most incompetent coaches ever. Add in a coach who has a clue and PRich returning will push the Buffs past the Sheep.

I also think our tackling will be better (cannot be worse) and our secondary will be better (cannot be worse).

Might not win "going away" but I think a double digit win is very possible.

Wouldn't it be nice to witness a thorough thrashing of CSU? I am almost to the point where I would welcome a 1-11 season (I expect that, anyway) if it meant that the Buffs beat CSU by 30+ points.

Talent and coaching. Do you remember the 2011 game? I'd call that---given the 10 minute drive late in that one----going away. We're still probably the least talented Pac 12 team, but we do have more talent than an MWC bottom feeder like the goats. Our offensive line looked so bad because the previous staff was trying to force spread style linemen to play their clunky pro-style system. Richardson's impact will be obvious. In terms of QB----Let's keep in mind that Lindgren took a kid that was getting MWC/WAC level attention in recruiting and turned him into a potential first round pick for 2014 (Dont believe me? look at walterfootball's 2014 mock draft). That leads me to believe that we've got the best QB developer here we've had in quite a while. Wood will improve.

Talent and coaching. Do you remember the 2011 game? I'd call that---given the 10 minute drive late in that one----going away. We're still probably the least talented Pac 12 team, but we do have more talent than an MWC bottom feeder like the goats. Our offensive line looked so bad because the previous staff was trying to force spread style linemen to play their clunky pro-style system. Richardson's impact will be obvious. In terms of QB----Let's keep in mind that Lindgren took a kid that was getting MWC/WAC level attention in recruiting and turned him into a potential first round pick for 2014 (Dont believe me? look at walterfootball's 2014 mock draft). That leads me to believe that we've got the best QB developer here we've had in quite a while. Wood will improve.

People were saying the EXACT same thing about Rip Scherer.

Keep the kool-aid flowing folks, the chew spit loogie at the bottom of the cup is incoming fast.

The CSU game

People were saying the EXACT same thing about Rip Scherer.

Keep the kool-aid flowing folks, the chew spit loogie at the bottom of the cup is incoming fast.

Probably because Hansen did improve quite a bit in 2011 under Rip but there were huge schematic issues.

It's hilarious how if anyone thinks positive about things there's a mob of 10 waiting. Might as well put a "no optimistic people allowed" sign up then

Probably because Hansen did improve quite a bit in 2011 under Rip but there were huge schematic issues.

It's hilarious how if anyone thinks positive about things there's a mob of 10 waiting. Might as well put a "no optimistic people allowed" sign up then

Did he?

Nothing wrong with being hopeful and optimistic (I am also hopeful, but it's going to take a while), but it is laughable that people read the same fluff in the papers and hear how "improved" the team is in fall camp and how much better the new coaches are than the previous staff, year after year after year, and buy into the false hype. It is basically Einstein's definition of insanity.

People can do and think what they want and enjoy the kool-aid, but I now require actual on the field proof in live games to see the truth of whether the team is improving.

Back